Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Bama_WJ's Build Thread

281K views 1K replies 151 participants last post by  TX-WJ 
#1 ·
What my WJ looks like as of today:

Table of Contents:

___________________________________________________________________________________________
I figured I would go ahead and jump on the bandwagon and start my own build thead. :thumbsup:

It doesn't consist of my much right now, but I hope to change that by summers end. I'll try to put everything in the order that I got stuff installed. So here it goes...

First off, a little bit of stats:
  • 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • UpCountry Package
  • 4.0L I6
  • 242 Transfer case
  • 98K miles when bought in April of 2007

When I first got my WJ:

I then started to get the itch to start modding things. First in the line up was get some exhaust put on there. I ended up going with a Flowmaster 50 Series and a Magnaflow/Carsound Hi-Flow cat. Sounds pretty nice.

I love coming home from work and seeing a Summit box on the ground!

Video of my exhaust.

Next, I ended up installing a K&N FIPK kit. I found it on eBay for a decent price.

Then I finally purchased a lift. Only had the funds to buy Kevins 2.5" Budget Boost at the time. I really wanted the IRO 3", but I have been real satisfied with this BB paired with the MX-6 shocks. Once you learn how to drive the Jeep decent offroad, only a little bit of lift can get you quite a few places.

A couple pictures of the installation. Nothing to extreme.

Here is the end result. Stock vs. 2.5" BB and 31" Goodyear Silent Armors:

See less See more
#997 ·
Damn, didn't see that. I love the look of those raceline monsters. The only thing is that they don't make them in the 8x170 lug pattern. SaturnICL had to have his custom drilled.

A majority of beadlocks are big $$ though.

Edit: Well, nevermind, just found the thread on pirate and the guy said he could get the 8x170 pattern. Ugh, I need to pay off my debt first before I get these. Even though it is an awesome deal. Hopefully he will have the sale still going here in another couple weeks.

#999 ·
I'm actually thinking about pulling the rear end this weekend. That way I can line up the S10.5 and mark it up as needed since I have everything bracket wise for the rear axle. May get some of the Clayton stuff put on as well. Need to change the trans fluid and filter, too.

PM me your number and I'll shoot you a text or something this weekend.

#1,004 ·
That's good to hear. I'll keep checking on it.

Are those the heims you are using for link ends? They look like 3/4 or 7/8.
They are the ends I'm using for the track bar. They are 7/8" with a 3/4" ball.

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/XM-1214-78-w-34-ball-CrMo-rod-end-w-kevlar-liner-_p_1423.html

Nice choice on Ballistic. They make quality sh*t. Shipping times blow, though.

And great build. :thumbsup:
I'll agree, their stuff is nice and beefy. But yea, their shipping sucks big time.

And thanks!

#1,005 ·
Finally got my steering tubing from Ballistic. But for some reason, another 5 ft. section of the exact same tubing was to much of a hassle to ship with the two that I got. Damn ridiculous.

On another note, pretty much made my mind up on some Walker Evans wheels. I think they'll look pretty good.

Also still talking to Kolak about getting my gears/installs/lockers for the tons. Can't wait to have those in my possession.

#1,007 ·
Amazing jeep dude. Very jealous of your axel swap. Definatly subscribed to see the progress.

When you get around to selling your stock driveshaft in the front(seen your selling it in your signature) i would be interested in buying it. PM me when you get to that point.

#1,008 ·
Thanks man. And I may end up having all the drivetrain sold already. I guess I should say sale pending on the driveshafts as well. I'll let folks know if something doesn't work out.

Finally got some time to work on the Jeep today. Actually did the first transmission service on it since I've had it. Fluid was a darkish red, so I thought that was pretty good. No surprises at the bottom of the pan either which is always nice. Put the new filter on and filled it back up with about 5.5 qts. Good to go.

Seriously starting to think about taking the Jeep somewhere to have everything welded up and setup. Found a driveline specialty fab shop called Hudlow Axle (http://www.hudlowaxle.com/) a little south of Chattanooga, TN. It looks like they do pretty good stuff. Going to give them a call on Monday and feel them out. I also got Blue Torch Fab I can take it to here in Birmingham, AL. However, BTF is $30 more an hour for labor. I do want BTF to build me another set of bumpers though. Don't be surprised if the KMA (or TAG...whatever they are now) ones go up for sale soon.

#1,009 ·
Well, things are starting to FINALLY move forward. I got a shipping notification from Ballistic the other day saying that my DOM, which is the last of my order, is on its way. Secondly, I just sent my payment into Kolak for my D60/S10.5 gears and install kits as well as Detroit Lockers for them both. :D

I would also like to say Kolak has been awesome over the last couple months. He's been real helpful in getting the parts I actually needed and has gone above and beyond the call of duty, in my opinion. Great guy to get parts from or just shoot the breeze with over the phone. A+ in my book. :thumbsup:

#1,012 ·
No, not really. Still waiting for my gears/installs/lockers for my axles. Don't really know what's going on with them as of yet. Kolak said he would check on them this week.

I'd probably be ordering another round of parts soon (wheels and tires most likely), but I had to put my WK in the shop to get warranty work done and ended up getting raped for $1400. After that, I said screw the warranty, I'm doing everything else myself. It would have been almost $1700 had I told them not to replace the 3rd brake light and hood gas strut. I later ordered both those parts off Amazon for a total of like $45. Seriously, $200+ for parts/labor that take MAYBE 20 minutes to install combined? Utter insanity. Not to mention, the EGR has be throwing codes ever since it left the shop.

Anyways, just trying to recoup from all that. I've also been trying to get the guy I talked to over at Hudlow Axle, but he's the hardest damn person to get on the phone apparently. It doesn't help that he's on Eastern Time, so whenever I get out of work he's closing up shop. Either that or he has dipped out early. Just frustrating sometimes.

I just have to keep it in my mind, only 4 big ticket items left...wheels, tires, Atlas, and OEM axle parts. Just takes time.

#1,019 ·
Found myself looking at coilovers again. Might be a good choice for at least the front since there is not a lot of room. Been eying the Fox coilovers lately. I'll probably get going on some research soon. Anyone maybe looking for some Clayton 6" springs, Bilstien shocks for 6" lift, JKS BPEs or JKS shock conversions?

The lockers are still MIA. Hopefully they will be here by Christmas. Kolak says they are waiting on a shipment of S10.5 lockers. Look forward to getting the lockers.

Also still haven't got a hold of Hudlow Axle. Thinking about hollering at Essentially Offroad soon. They've built some legit buggies and do a lot of work for Xtreme 4x4. We'll see what they say.

And a side note, got a OME HD lift and tires put on the WK this past weekend. I must say, it looks pretty badass. Handles great to.

Now to focus on the WJ. :laugh:

#1,029 ·
Found myself looking at coilovers again. Might be a good choice for at least the front since there is not a lot of room. Been eying the Fox coilovers lately.
get coilovers. the adjustability of them makes ride height, rebound and stiffness have endless possibilities.

#1,020 ·
WK looks good. Makes me miss my WJ in the same color

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.