Kind of a little update. I installed a new-to-me transfer case out of a 99. Its nothing to special, just another run of the mill 242. My old one was way messed up since the gear teeth that engages 4WD were chewed up and broken/missing. Here is what my magnet looked like in my old 242...
I would have more interesting stuff to post, but UPS didn't get my stuff in since there was "adverse weather conditions" on its way to my place. Some luck...
Installed a new CB antenna setup yesterday. I was getting tired of the 4.5' Wilson 500 mag mount on top of my roof and kind of wanted something with a little cleaner look. I ended up following the lead of ///BHRPowered over at JU with this setup. I went with the MK184R mounting kit which is made for Ram/Dakota hoods. The kit came with a 18' cable and everything needed to connect to the CB; a very complete kit for $22. The mount iteslf is very sturdy. It actually needs to be bent a tad in order to have the antenna stand straight up. I paired the mounting kit with a FireStik SS3M spring and a red FireStik FL3-R 3' antenna.
I started off by removing the plastic interior peice that is below the very back window. Then I took the tail light off and drilled a 3/8" hole right beside the electrical grommet. I cleaned up the hole and put the rubber grommet supplied in the kit into the hole. Then I fed the cable through and ran it behind the plastic interior peice and up to the front.
Next, I mocked up the mount so I could eyeball how much I had to bend the mount to get it horizontal. Then I had a friend hold the mount in place while I drilled 4 3/32" pilot holes for the mounting screws. It turned out to be pretty straight.
The tail light had to be trimmed a little bit in order to fit with the mounting screws that were in place. Nothing that a 5 minute Dremel job couldn't handle. It's kind of hard to tell in the picture where its trimmed. You get the idea though...
The connector part was then soldered up, tucked away, and plugged into my CB. I did a little bit of SWR tuning and that was all she wrote. I'm pretty pleased with the end result.
Here are a couple pictures of how it turned out.
Finally got my JF sticker too. Now I can represent.
Bad news tonight. The jeep is front wheel drive right now. I'm pretty sure the rear end blew up. I was just taking a cruise and enjoying the nice day. Then I started hearing some odd and loud noises that were obviously coming from the drivetrain. I decided to pull over into a empty parking lot to maybe check some stuff out. Shifted into 4FT to make sure the transfer case was still working fine. I started backing up in 4FT but the Jeep started binding up like it was in 4PT. Then something popped really load and the Jeep just rocked from not binding up anymore. I figured the transfer case finally went into the right gear. Not so.
Got underneath the Jeep with the transmission in park and the transfer case in neutral. I could literally spin the rear driveshaft with my hand. I took the bottle jack that came with the Jeep and lifted each rear wheel seperatly and turns out both spin freely with pretty much no resistance.
We'll see what happens when I pull the diff cover off. Pictures of the carnage to come sometime this week...
Well, took the diff cover off just a little bit ago. Turns out the bearing just ate themselves and the entire carrier shifted away from the pinion gear. I haven't done a complete tear down quite yet, so those were just my first impressions.
Here are a few carnage teaser pics for the time being. I'll get more once I do the complete tear down.