Bama_WJ's Build Thread - Page 18 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Bama_WJ's Build Thread

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 05-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #256
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep looks good bama!

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #257
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
Jeep looks good bama!
Thanks Zach!

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #258
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Just emailed a guy about a front HP44 for $150. Its a bare housing. Good deal or no? I'd be gutting it anyhow, so less work for me I figure.

Dana 44 High Pinion

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 05-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #259
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post
YThinking I can just tap off the hot wire for the reverse lights into a relay and take the main power from the 12V power jack in the rear cargo area. Comments?
I definitely think this is the safest and most efficient way to go.

I would either do the 12V jack or go straight from the battery (doesn't the jack have a max amp rating on it?) Just make sure you don't over do it if you do go from the jack instead of the battery. I would bet you'd be okay though.
Utah JeepCrew #39 | Club Matt #1
December '11 GCOTM | Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
00JGC00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 09:57 PM   #260
Shinobi
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Just emailed a guy about a front HP44 for $150. Its a bare housing. Good deal or no? I'd be gutting it anyhow, so less work for me I figure.

Dana 44 High Pinion
Make sure if its the radius arm style that the mount is not one with the tube make sure its the weld on one. Thats unless its leaf spring style .... also I would say that's pricey for a bare axle , but that might be because of the area cuz around reno I can get one thats not bare for around that price
Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #261
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
Make sure if its the radius arm style that the mount is not one with the tube make sure its the weld on one. Thats unless its leaf spring style .... also I would say that's pricey for a bare axle , but that might be because of the area cuz around reno I can get one thats not bare for around that price
So make sure its a leaf sprung axle? The guy hasn't even emailed me back about it, so I don't know yet. And about the price, I think its the area. Just a axle for sale is few and far between around here. Usually when I put "dana 44" in the search on CL, it comes up with trucks already made with a 44 in it or something like that, not just a single axle. Found a couple folks selling one tons, but I don't think I'm ready for that right now.

Just worried about that 30 with 35s and Detroit Locker/4.88s.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 05-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #262
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00JGC00 View Post
I definitely think this is the safest and most efficient way to go.

I would either do the 12V jack or go straight from the battery (doesn't the jack have a max amp rating on it?) Just make sure you don't over do it if you do go from the jack instead of the battery. I would bet you'd be okay though.
Yea, should be the easiest route to take. The max rating on the jack is 20A, so my 1 100W light should be alright.

100W / 12V = 8.33A

I just got in from looking at the wiring at the rear passenger tail light. Took my multimeter to figure out which wire was the hot for the reverse light. I got some pictures for anyone else who might be interested...

Should be a pretty simple job.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 05-29-2010, 12:29 AM   #263
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Hmmm...

1979 3/4 ton 4x4 diffential and transfer case

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 05-29-2010, 06:39 AM   #264
lakailimited06
1999 WJ 

Quote:
ehh to much work involved unless they somehow already come with 4.56's or 4.88s...i would keep heading in the direction your going for 35's...i wish yukon or superior/alloy made a front u joint shaft kit for the WJs like they do for other jeeps...
Unread 05-29-2010, 10:12 AM   #265
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakailimited06 View Post
ehh to much work involved unless they somehow already come with 4.56's or 4.88s...i would keep heading in the direction your going for 35's...i wish yukon or superior/alloy made a front u joint shaft kit for the WJs like they do for other jeeps...
Yea, I hear you about the upgraded axles up front. Don't really want to pay $800 for some either. I just came across that CL ad because I've been hunting around for a front 44. I'd love to put some sort of traction aid in the front, but I'm worried about the shafts with 35s.

Just got an email back from KMA about bumpers. I think I'm going to pull the trigger next week on them (hopefully). They only need 50% payment for them to start building them and I pay them the rest when I arrive at their shop. Said they'd be happy to modify it to my needs with the fender cutting and add a hoop on the front for my LF 240s. Will be a few weeks before they can get my order done, but that will give me time to buy my lights, winch and cut my fenders.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 05-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #266
lakailimited06
1999 WJ 

nice looking forward to seeing the rear im sure youll have it on there before i finish mine...i've been asking a bunch of people about the cv shafts up front and im reading more and more that they only really break when the wheels are cut pretty far with the majority of the vehicles weight on the front end...

i've yet to wheel mine with the 33's unfortunately but im going late june to rausch creek so i will see how it goes..i dont see my jump from 31's to 33's really having too much of an effect...i think it comes down to what situation you're in and how you're approaching it...i tend to try and finesse everything i also think it looks better rather than some tard muscling his way through everything...call me a ***** but thats how i wheel..
Unread 05-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #267
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Ok, you would think you could replace the rear output of the transfer case pretty easily in an afternoon, right? Wrong. I pull the old seal off and opened up the new one (Timken #4370N) and they are no where near close to the same thing. I'm like alright, maybe it was some fluke. I drive to every single parts store in town and all had the same Timken 4370N seal listed as the rear output seal for the transfer case. WTF. None of them had a rear output seal that even closely resembled the one I pulled off my 242. Even had them check different year WJs (since my transfer case is out of a 99), still nothing.

Anyone else ever encountered this? I really don't want to visit the stealership.

Here are some pictures. Left is the stock one and the right is the Timken 4370N

On a side note, photobucket is really starting to piss me off.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 05-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #268
lakailimited06
1999 WJ 

what a pain in the ***...just do an sye and get rid of those seals for good...
Unread 05-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #269
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Well, crisis averted. I'm lucky that I have a spare (what came on my Jeep originally) 242. I ended up pulling the seal of it cause the seal on it looked basically new. Everything went fine from there. I must have had a good leak cause there hardly any ATF in the case. The rear diff was really low to, so I topped it off. Drives much quieter now, especially the Aussie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakailimited06 View Post
what a pain in the ***...just do an sye and get rid of those seals for good...
That would be nice. I plan on doing one once I get the Clayton kit and get new driveshafts front and rear. That rear one has had some vibes in it ever since I did the 44a swap and got it shortened. It only happens at like 43mph, so its tolerable.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 05-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #270
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

That seal is extremely tough to find. For some reason all the parts stores carry the wrong one, like you found. I think it's the one for the 247

Surprisingly, though, it was only about $13 at the dealer for the seal.
Originally Posted by Sporer65 View Post
You need to learn, there are 3 things that all JF members must like beside Jeeps:
(1) Guns (2) Women (3) Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
I was bored so I forded the river. No oxen were lost.
tennesseewj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.