Bama_WJ's Build Thread - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Bama_WJ's Build Thread

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #241
RedZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
I would go winch and not look back. Even if you never wheel alone, a winch is a great investment to have because there are times on the trail when a pull isn't enough or possible from where you are stuck. And you have a rear locker now so that will take you farther but that also means when you get stuck, you get stuck.

I know there were times in Arkansas where I was glad my buddies had winches because a pull out would not do the trick.

Just my 2 cents.
Well said. There have been times were it would have been smarter for me to have a winch. I plan on getting one once I get a bumper.

RedZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #242
Bama_WJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
I would go winch and not look back. Even if you never wheel alone, a winch is a great investment to have because there are times on the trail when a pull isn't enough or possible from where you are stuck. And you have a rear locker now so that will take you farther but that also means when you get stuck, you get stuck.

I know there were times in Arkansas where I was glad my buddies had winches because a pull out would not do the trick.

Just my 2 cents.
I see where you're coming from. Never really thought about if I got stuck somewhere and trees/rocks were blocking the paths for a person to pull me out. Could probably make a few bucks on pulling other folks out, too. Maybe I might just get one. Don't know that much about the winch market.

I've seen a lot of people talk about that XRC8 winch. The price looks good, but what about quality? Anyone got comments. Any other winch brands/models to look out for. Also heard a lot about synthetic winch line. Switching lines seems like a good upgrade by reducing weight and probably easier to work with compared to the steel line.

Dang, now I want to start looking into dual batteries...

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #243
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

hey man, glad to hear you got a job! now start spendin!
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #244
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post
I see where you're coming from. Never really thought about if I got stuck somewhere and trees/rocks were blocking the paths for a person to pull me out. Could probably make a few bucks on pulling other folks out, too. Maybe I might just get one. Don't know that much about the winch market.

I've seen a lot of people talk about that XRC8 winch. The price looks good, but what about quality? Anyone got comments. Any other winch brands/models to look out for. Also heard a lot about synthetic winch line. Switching lines seems like a good upgrade by reducing weight and probably easier to work with compared to the steel line.

Dang, now I want to start looking into dual batteries...
I have been looking at the smittybuilt as well and think I will go with it. Kanin has it on his rig and says it has plenty of power. Can always use a snatch block if you need more since it doubles the pulling power. It will be slower than a warn but I don't mind as long as gets the job done.

And a single battery is fine for a winch. Just run your vehicle while you are winching and might have to rev your engine from time to time but it will be fine. My buddies' ZJ has a warn 8K and single battery and he doesn't have a problem. If you plan on running multiple lights and a winch at the same time, then you might look into dual batteries.

You will find that a winch will be one of your more favorite mods. I know in Arkansas it was a life saver when clearing down trees off the trail. I'm sure Alabama is similar where a chain saw is pretty much necessary on any trail ride.

On a side note, did you add friction modifier when you installed your aussie?

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #245
Bama_WJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKzj52 View Post
hey man, glad to hear you got a job! now start spendin!
Yea, I can't to start spending.

Quote:
I have been looking at the smittybuilt as well and think I will go with it. Kanin has it on his rig and says it has plenty of power. Can always use a snatch block if you need more since it doubles the pulling power. It will be slower than a warn but I don't mind as long as gets the job done.

And a single battery is fine for a winch. Just run your vehicle while you are winching and might have to rev your engine from time to time but it will be fine. My buddies' ZJ has a warn 8K and single battery and he doesn't have a problem. If you plan on running multiple lights and a winch at the same time, then you might look into dual batteries.

You will find that a winch will be one of your more favorite mods. I know in Arkansas it was a life saver when clearing down trees off the trail. I'm sure Alabama is similar where a chain saw is pretty much necessary on any trail ride.

On a side note, did you add friction modifier when you installed your aussie?
I will still have my 3 Hellas. I don't wheel at night (on purpose at least), so I don't really see when I'd be running my lights and winch at the same time. If it came down to it, I'd turn the lights off and run the winch. I'll run my yellow top as is for right now and see how it does. Maybe an upgraded alternator?

I'm looking at this one right now:

Smittybilt 98281 - Smittybilt XRC 8 Winches - Overview - SummitRacing.com

with this to protect it:

Smittybilt 97281-99 - Smittybilt Winches - Overview - SummitRacing.com

About the Aussie. I didn't put FM in the diff with it. I just put some 80-90 in there and was done with it. I got some 85-140 I'm going to put in there once I put the BTF cover on. Maybe the 85-140 will quiet it down some.

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 05-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #246
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Could order it from here and get a free cover and shipping. And that is better than the one I am looking at, I was just going to get the base model.

XRC 8 Winch W/Synthetic Rope & Aluminum Fairlead-RH2

And I'm not sure about an alternator upgrade, never looked into on. Maybe someone knows more than me.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #247
lakailimited06
1999 WJ 

bama how do you like daily driving with the rear auto locker? i could search through tons of threads but i know you just recently did it im debating throwing one in my rear axle or saving for a selectable...
Unread 05-14-2010, 09:43 PM   #248
Bama_WJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Could order it from here and get a free cover and shipping. And that is better than the one I am looking at, I was just going to get the base model.

XRC 8 Winch W/Synthetic Rope & Aluminum Fairlead-RH2

And I'm not sure about an alternator upgrade, never looked into on. Maybe someone knows more than me.
Thanks for finding that cheaper one. I'll figure out more when the time comes closer. I'm starting to look into 55W HID lights to help out the battery situation. I think my new lighting plan is going to be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakailimited06 View Post
bama how do you like daily driving with the rear auto locker? i could search through tons of threads but i know you just recently did it im debating throwing one in my rear axle or saving for a selectable...
I have zero problems with it and don't mind it one bit. To be honest, I think some people over exaggerate the auto locker in a DD business. I mean you can definitely tell it's back there, but it's nothing troublesome. I took me less than a week to get used to it. I say go for it. Use that money you'll save buying the auto locker for something else.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 05-14-2010, 10:38 PM   #249
lakailimited06
1999 WJ 

yea thats waht ive heard from a couple of friends...people on here tend to complain and steer you away from things for no real reason just because something isnt "ideal"...

my main concern was how it would be on pavement in the snow...i no longer use full time cause of the front locker now so im pretty much stuck with 2wd in the crappy weather but i didnt know how the jeep would behave in snow with the rear auto in 2wd...
Unread 05-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #250
Bama_WJ
2001 WJ 

I made sure to test it out in the snow while I was at Purdue. Its definitely something to get used to in the snow. If you're smart about it, its not a problem. Practicing in an empty snow covered parking lot is about the only advice I can give you. It's WAY fun though.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 05-14-2010, 10:53 PM   #251
lakailimited06
1999 WJ 

what does it do jsut kick the tail out all over the place? wouldnt it still be better than regular 2wd in the snow?
Unread 05-15-2010, 02:50 AM   #252
Bama_WJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakailimited06 View Post
what does it do jsut kick the tail out all over the place? wouldnt it still be better than regular 2wd in the snow?
The tail end will want to walk out on you if you give the gas a good quick tap. But if you just take it easy and be smooth with the gas, it shouldn't be a problem. I had mine in 2WD all winter and never had anything sudden happen. Wasn't bad at all.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 05-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #253
Bama_WJ
2001 WJ 

Since I've basically figured out what bumper and winch I want, I'm starting to look at a new light setup. I'll probably sell my 3 Hella lights with 100W bulbs if anyone wants them. I want to redo the wiring setup as well. I've been looking A LOT at the Lightforce 170 and 240. Some might not like the big light look, but I think it looks pretty cool. I'm really going back and forth between halogen and HID. These will probably be the last set of light I'll buy for the front, so dropping some coin on really good ones doesn't really bother me. I've kind of grown out of the Hellas, too. I want more light.

If any of you have seen the light output on these Lightforce lights, its insane. The HIDs measure 1 lux at three quarters of a MILE. They're construction looks second to none as well as seen in the video.

YouTube - LIGHTFORCE "LIGHT LOGIC" V-1.0

We'll see what happens. Was thinking about 2 700FFs and 2 500FF, but I'm want to cut down on watts since I'm getting the winch.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 05-20-2010, 05:45 PM   #254
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post
I have zero problems with it and don't mind it one bit. To be honest, I think some people over exaggerate the auto locker in a DD business. I mean you can definitely tell it's back there, but it's nothing troublesome. I took me less than a week to get used to it. I say go for it. Use that money you'll save buying the auto locker for something else.
I can hardly tell mine was back there. The only time I noticed it back there (on the streets that is), is when you take a turn and accidentally give it a little too much gas. And when youre making a sharp turn while stopped (mainly parking lots). I got to drive my jeep for maybe 3 days with it installed (before it went into hibernation) and can definitely say i got used to it on the first day really.

Then I could definitely tell it was back there when offroad. OMG!
Havnt gotten to try it in the rain or snow yet though. Although I already know what its going to be like.

I keep telling people its no big deal. Some people have issues with theirs. Maybe they're just not good drivers?

Im glad to hear im not the only one who thinks its easy to drive with, I was starting to think I was going insane lol
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #255
Bama_WJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKzj52 View Post
I keep telling people its no big deal. Some people have issues with theirs. Maybe they're just not good drivers?

Im glad to hear im not the only one who thinks its easy to drive with, I was starting to think I was going insane lol
Yea, I don't know what the deal is with other people. It's not bad at all IMO.

As a side note, I'm pretty set on some other parts I want. BTF covers for the 30 and 44a and I decided on the LF 240 HIDs. It's going to be a while, but the parts are going to be worth it.

Anyone got a schematic on setting up a reverse light? Thinking I can just tap off the hot wire for the reverse lights into a relay and take the main power from the 12V power jack in the rear cargo area. Comments?

North Alabama Jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.