"Bahamut" 93zj limted 5.2l Build - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > "Bahamut" 93zj limted 5.2l Build

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #106
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I would buy quality tow shackles. If you need to ask why then you haven't had anything like that break on you and crap your pants. You don't know how long that chinese stuff harbor sells will last. It may work once and break then next time or 50 times then suddenly break. There is no need to have that kind of worry.

PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #107
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjastar View Post
I was wondering the kor front tow point, does it replace the radiator skid plate or does it bolt ontop of it? And does it get in the way of the bumper.

I think it about the same price but I may go towards hf even tho it has a lesser break point, the price is good and the reviews are good. And the reason why I shouldnt go with the straps with hooks is because the hook might snap off and fly towards me?

But it has some good reviews and some other shackels are made the same way like that. But ya im going to hf today to check out the quality of these items and if its that badly made im just going to get something else.
1. yes, it replaces the stock radiator support. its not a skid plate

2. dont get the shackle from harbor freight. and yes, that is the reason why you shouldnt get a strap with hooks

3. DONT get the shackle from harbor freight.
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #108
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher65 View Post
there was a little support thing under the radiator that held it up but are you talking about the engine skid? the kor support replaces the support thing under the radiator and actually i just email kor about his support working with the engine skid. what he told me was that it will work but requires modification to the engine skid. and as far as the bumper, i dont know since i dont have any bumper down that far, but i have seen pictures of people with non-trimmed bumpers using the kor support.
I see, would you think the kor support is better than the rugged ridge version??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I would buy quality tow shackles. If you need to ask why then you haven't had anything like that break on you and crap your pants. You don't know how long that chinese stuff harbor sells will last. It may work once and break then next time or 50 times then suddenly break. There is no need to have that kind of worry.
That is true, so what are thoughts on this item them? Seems like a well built hitch and also its break point is 13k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle713 View Post
1. yes, it replaces the stock radiator support. its not a skid plate

2. dont get the shackle from harbor freight. and yes, that is the reason why you shouldnt get a strap with hooks

3. DONT get the shackle from harbor freight.
Will do boss, but as I asked punisher, what do you think of the rugged ridge version?

Also what recovery straps would you guys recommend thats great quality but cheap??
ninjastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #109
punisher65

2006 WK 

ummm i've never heard of rugged ridge before and i have been searching around for a while and i haven't seen anything about them having a support. so, i guess i can't really make a judgement on their product
BT Catch Can, TB ground, Cree LED Reverse Lights, Interior LED upgrade

WK Build Thread

1993 4.0 ZJ
BB and 31" Bighorns SOLD :(
punisher65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #110
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I would not use the harbor shackle. Spend some more money and get a good one. They are all not built the same. The cheap stuff is not subjected to the quality control as the other. Metal tolerances are not consistent yadda yadda. You never know when it could bust and go flying at your head.
Unread 10-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #111
sabzz
1997 ZJ 

Trust me, a strap with hooks on the end WILL make you **** yourself once it comes flying past your head. I.E: was at the local trails one night with our wrangler and a friends samurai, was muddy slop all over because it had poured rain all day, step dad slid over a log and got high centered on the trans/transcase skid plate. Samurai hooked up a tow strap with hooks to his side, they held fine. hooked the other one up to the rear of the wrangler, it held fine at first. the samurai tightened up the strap, gave it the gas, came flying off, i was standing about 10 feet back, but that hook came off the wrangler, and flew about 6 inches in front of my face. I felt wind off that thing. I about had a heart attack.

Back on topic: look on summit racing for some straps, or go over to lowes or any local hardware store besides harbor freight, and look for some hooks and straps. I was in looking around for some hooks today but wandered over to see how much straps were, i think i saw a 20 foot 10k lb strap at lowes for around 30. Or look on amazon, i'm going to order some hooks off there, but they got stuff everywhere.

EDIT: http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...s/?Ns=Rank|Asc
sabzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #112
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
ummm i've never heard of rugged ridge before and i have been searching around for a while and i haven't seen anything about them having a support. so, i guess i can't really make a judgement on their product
This one right here.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12007_700_07.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I would not use the harbor shackle. Spend some more money and get a good one. They are all not built the same. The cheap stuff is not subjected to the quality control as the other. Metal tolerances are not consistent yadda yadda. You never know when it could bust and go flying at your head.
Ya i know what you mean, I went to hf and man did the tow shackel didnt look well built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabzz View Post
Trust me, a strap with hooks on the end WILL make you **** yourself once it comes flying past your head. I.E: was at the local trails one night with our wrangler and a friends samurai, was muddy slop all over because it had poured rain all day, step dad slid over a log and got high centered on the trans/transcase skid plate. Samurai hooked up a tow strap with hooks to his side, they held fine. hooked the other one up to the rear of the wrangler, it held fine at first. the samurai tightened up the strap, gave it the gas, came flying off, i was standing about 10 feet back, but that hook came off the wrangler, and flew about 6 inches in front of my face. I felt wind off that thing. I about had a heart attack.

Back on topic: look on summit racing for some straps, or go over to lowes or any local hardware store besides harbor freight, and look for some hooks and straps. I was in looking around for some hooks today but wandered over to see how much straps were, i think i saw a 20 foot 10k lb strap at lowes for around 30. Or look on amazon, i'm going to order some hooks off there, but they got stuff everywhere.

EDIT: http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...s/?Ns=Rank|Asc
Wow, thanks for the info. Now I really dont want to have anything with hooks at the end. Going to stick with the d shackel and recovery strap with no hooks. But what max break point would I need for my jeep.
Unread 10-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #113
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

those are OEM style tow hooks and brackets
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #114
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stblack97ZJ View Post
those are OEM style tow hooks and brackets
Are those really? So which would you recommend these since their oem or the kor version?
Unread 10-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #115
punisher65

2006 WK 

for like 30$ more you can get something that will beef up the front of your jeep a little bit and provide tow points. and yeah since they are oem style you could probably find some for a fraction of the cost at a junkyard if you wanted those instead
BT Catch Can, TB ground, Cree LED Reverse Lights, Interior LED upgrade

WK Build Thread

1993 4.0 ZJ
BB and 31" Bighorns SOLD :(
punisher65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #116
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
for like 30$ more you can get something that will beef up the front of your jeep a little bit and provide tow points. and yeah since they are oem style you could probably find some for a fraction of the cost at a junkyard if you wanted those instead
That is what I was thinking of. I like the kor version because its one solid piece while the oem version is 2 seperate points. As for the rear tow hitches, I have these 2 holes next to were you can put in a tow hook. Are these tow holes tow points or would I have to get the tow hook? It looks kind of like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SmittyBilt-07-11...sories&vxp=mtr
Unread 10-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #117
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Are you talking about the two holes on either side of the hitch? It so then no. Those are for the safety chain in the even that the trailer you are towing comes loose.

You should never try to extract a vehicle from something as thin and wimpy as those holes. You are just asking for it if you do.
Unread 10-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #118
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

Okay I was thinking the same thing too. But as far as the tow hook, what should I use for the hitch pin?
Unread 10-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #119
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

personally, I haven't heard the best about KORs rad support. at least for using it as a tow point. It only uses half inch shackles, and a few people on here, myself included would trust the stock tow hooks over that.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #120
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

the kor rad support would come out to like 180 w/ shipping and everything
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.