"Bahamut" 93zj limted 5.2l Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > "Bahamut" 93zj limted 5.2l Build

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 09-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #46
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
They are both great tires. The at's are going to be almost if not equally as loud as the muds. The at's will probably last longer and may be better in snow or rain. I had at's for a while and just didn't see the point in them because the difference between the two tires road manners is negligible.
So if you were im my postion what tire would you use? I also heard that the a/t last longer and are better in the rain than the km2s.

Also if I were to run 31" tires i would only have to trim the plastics right on the insides and maybe the front bumper right?? If anyone can post pictures, it would be much oblige.

Changed my mind Im going gy MTR kevlar

ninjastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 07:01 AM   #47
sabzz
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjastar

So if you were im my postion what tire would you use? I also heard that the a/t last longer and are better in the rain than the km2s.

Also if I were to run 31" tires i would only have to trim the plastics right on the insides and maybe the front bumper right?? If anyone can post pictures, it would be much oblige.

Thanks! You know, after the alignment, brakes, and the new tires put on, all my vibe are gone too! The end of the week I'm going to go back our and tighten everything again because this weekend she's getting her maiden voyage. Step dad and a few friends and I are going to take our wrangler and my zj up to Tuttle creek (2.5 hrs away) and do some off roading. Not sure if we going sat or sun yet, I I get off work we be goin sat if not then Sunday. I'm pretty excited. I still needto put on my steering stabilizer and adjust the linkage though.
sabzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #48
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjastar View Post

I would get the muds and if you are worried about rain, have the tire place sipe them. With the 2" and 31's the only place I have to trim was a tiny corner of the front plastic bumper and that's it. If you get 31 10.50 you may have rubbing because the tire is wide. I got the skinnier 31. If you keep tabs on your tire inflation and rotation, they will still last a long time.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #49
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I would get the muds and if you are worried about rain, have the tire place sipe them. With the 2" and 31's the only place I have to trim was a tiny corner of the front plastic bumper and that's it. If you get 31 10.50 you may have rubbing because the tire is wide. I got the skinnier 31. If you keep tabs on your tire inflation and rotation, they will still last a long time.
Well Im have to get the tires first then the 1.75bb. So you would say get the KM2s and have them sipe. But I read up that MTRs w/kevlar was better. And also when you mean skinny, do you mean you went 31x9.50x15 instead of 31x1050x15??
Unread 09-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #50
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Well Im have to get the tires first then the 1.75bb. So you would say get the KM2s and have them sipe. But I read up that MTRs w/kevlar was better. And also when you mean skinny, do you mean you went 31x9.50x15 instead of 31x1050x15??

MTR's are great tires too, although not a true mud terrain. It just depends on what your flavor is.

Yes. The actual measurements of the tire brands are going to different from the sizes they are listed at. I went with a larger 31x 9.50 that measure 30.9 x 9.8.

Summit will give you the actual measurements for the most part. http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...tires&kr=tires
Unread 09-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #51
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

Well other than the true sizes I heard that MTR's do best in everything and does better than the km2s in the rain when the pavement is wet. But as far as performance and longevity, which one would you think last longer? Also do you think that it is okay to run 31's for a couple days till I can istall my 1.75"bb then do trimming?
Unread 09-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #52
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Well other than the true sizes I heard that MTR's do best in everything and does better than the km2s in the rain when the pavement is wet. But as far as performance and longevity, which one would you think last longer? Also do you think that it is okay to run 31's for a couple days till I can istall my 1.75"bb then do trimming?
I think the MTR's will have a softer compound because they are sticky on the rocks. You will probably be fine unless you turn your wheel full lock and go off road. Just drive conservatively and stay on the road. It would suck to get small tires because you didn't put your lift on first.
Unread 09-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #53
sabzz
1997 ZJ 

If you're looking for aggressive, but good all around, look into duratracs. They are cheap and they have the aggressiveness of a M/T but the manners of a A/T I've heard. They also have siping. Look at the duratrac thread in the wheels and tires section and you'll get hundreds of pages of pics and reviews on them. Its really worth going through.
Unread 09-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #54
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabzz View Post
If you're looking for aggressive, but good all around, look into duratracs. They are cheap and they have the aggressiveness of a M/T but the manners of a A/T I've heard. They also have siping. Look at the duratrac thread in the wheels and tires section and you'll get hundreds of pages of pics and reviews on them. Its really worth going through.
I have red that the Duratracs have a spongy sidewall and the guy from Discount Tire confirmed this. If you have a Wrangler you may not notice as they are way lighter.
Unread 09-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #55
sabzz
1997 ZJ 

Eh. I've seen them at my work on peoples suburbans and big f250s and even a dodge 3500 and they all said they are great. We got the Authority's on our wrangler and they are said to have a spongy sidewall as well, and yes I know its a wrangler and lighter weight, but its weighed down a good 6-700+ lbs with all the armor and custom stuff my step dad has made for it. Sliders, front and rear bumpers with custom tire carrier and custom bull bars and winch. Thats not all but just an idea. They have held up great.
Unread 09-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #56
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

For Southern california weather with wanting to have to do any type of off roading and wanting to go over any obstacle
, what tire would you guys pic KM2 o MTR's with kevlar?
Unread 09-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #57
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

Also their is a $100 mail in rebate for MTR's with kevlar in your a member of treadlightly http://www.treadlightly.org/page.php/goodyear-rebate
Unread 09-29-2011, 12:31 AM   #58
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

Was at Kragen and was like hey it would be fun to go up on here xP

Unread 09-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #59
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

how have you not taken your side steps off yet? that would have been the first thing i'd done.
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 01:24 PM   #60
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

IDK I like it.But ya Im run with MTR's with kevlar, so I can run 31's for a while and have no trim for a couple of days and still drive it and then install my bb and then do minor trimming right..........just minor trimming right just the front ends of the bumper??

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.