"Bahamut" 93zj limted 5.2l Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > "Bahamut" 93zj limted 5.2l Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 09-26-2011, 11:07 PM   #31
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

Ic but when I emailed iro they told me that they were complete kits.

Also at what hight and and what size tire will I start to lose mpg??

ninjastar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2011, 11:19 PM   #32
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=ZLK
this one is not a complete kit. it lacks track bars. whatever you do, do not use the rear track bar bracket that is listed. bad things will happen
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=ZLK
and this one lacks control arms
you will lose mpg with any increase of tire size. fuel mileage and tire size vary inversely: when tire size goes up, fuel mileage goes down. so 31s would give you better fuel economy than 32's. one reason is obviously the diameter of the tire. another factor is the added weight of a 32 over a 31. bigger tire, more rubber, more weight. so if you are that worried, go with 31's. that way you wouldnt have to trim the bumper. if you are not that concerned, get 32's and trim the front bumper a little

edit: and dont worry about losing power. you have a v8, you have nothing to worry about with this size tire
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2011, 11:45 PM   #33
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

How bad would I need the control arms because I found this info at another site but idk

I ran mine at 4.5" with the IRO kit and it was fine with the stock arms. Let me tell you though that your flex will be SH*T and you will have to do a lot more trimming if you are trying to run 33's on the Jeep. Also, you *may* run into some driveline problems (I didn't have any so it's a toss up, all Jeeps have their own little quierks sp) that would require control arms, but in most likelihood you won't. So, good luck! If you have any questions just call the guys at IronROck and they'll answer any questions that you may have. They have great customer service and John ( I think thats who I was speaking to) will get back to you on anything you need answered. Best wishes man.

- Oh yeah, you may also run into some slight steering angles that can't be corrected without the adj arms, but it is no biggie and won't give you too many troubles. It just won't be quite stock. If you have any more questions post em up or send me a PM.

Also what about the hight and mpg also at what hight would I get the degreeded deeath woble??
Unread 09-26-2011, 11:59 PM   #34
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

its recommended to get new control arms after 3.5 inches in order to re-center the axle in the wheel well. if you dont, the wheels will be towards the center of the jeep looking at it from the side. sure it will be fine at 4.5 with stock ca's, but its not recommended. and you wont necessarily get dw at a certain height. its mostly caused by bad bushings or mis-aligned steering or some **** like that. if you really want to go to 4.5 im not gonna stop you. you can do whatever you want. im just trying to steer you in the right direction. you can always add a 1" spacer to the 3.5 later when you get contol arms. and like i said, the higher you go, and the bigger the tires you put on, the more your mpg's are gonna drop. thats one of the things you cant be anal about when you lift a jeep. it can only get worse, unless you get lower gears.
Unread 09-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #35
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

I see and I appreciate your help alot and I mean alot because at this moment of time im lost because im just trying to find out the pros and cons along with getting the best bang for my buck along with having everything need.

Is their any kit out their thats complete and less than or around $700. And would going to 4in be any different than going 4.5 because I dont have long arms??Also would you recommend any other kits?
Unread 09-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #36
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

the 3.5 with a rear adjustable trackbar is probably the best you will find for under 700
Unread 09-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #37
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Yep. Kits that have both track bars and all control arms are going to be over a grand or so. You can skimp on some parts like the front track bar. You can re drill the mounting hole to center the axle until you get a real adj one. I would recommend just doing it right the first time around. It will be much less of a head ache and it will be done. 3" is as high as I would go without new adj arms and track bars.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 11:21 AM   #38
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice build. One thing. Please re-run that power wire for the amplifier. That wire will get pinched or wear through and short. Causing it to weld to your uni-body, a fire, or burn up your ECU/BCM.
Unread 09-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #39
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle713 View Post
the 3.5 with a rear adjustable trackbar is probably the best you will find for under 700
So I should just get these two then?? Also would these new coils for the kit get me the same results as my front coils to the rear? Also should I keep these shocks or choose different ones?

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post
Nice build. One thing. Please re-run that power wire for the amplifier. That wire will get pinched or wear through and short. Causing it to weld to your uni-body, a fire, or burn up your ECU/BCM.
Well its been 2 years and nothings been wrong and nothing but wires comming out within the box that comes loose. If you have another idea to get in would be much oblige.
Unread 09-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #40
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

thats all you need right there. idk about the shocks, though. i dont know if the nitro or the doetch tech shocks are any softer of a ride than one another, im sure someone will chime in. bilsteins are obviously better, but i doubt you would want to pay that much. i think ive heard that the doetch techs have a rough ride but good flex
Unread 09-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #41
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjastar View Post
So I should just get these two then?? Also would these new coils for the kit get me the same results as my front coils to the rear? Also should I keep these shocks or choose different ones?

Well its been 2 years and nothings been wrong and nothing but wires comming out within the box that comes loose. If you have another idea to get in would be much oblige.
You can either drill through the fire wall and use a rubber gasket or run it back by the fire wall to the drivers side through the opening there.
Unread 09-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #42
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle713 View Post
thats all you need right there. idk about the shocks, though. i dont know if the nitro or the doetch tech shocks are any softer of a ride than one another, im sure someone will chime in. bilsteins are obviously better, but i doubt you would want to pay that much. i think ive heard that the doetch techs have a rough ride but good flex
I liked my DT's. They were inexpensive. I was running 33's with 4.5" lift though so I didn't care to much about the ride quality. The Bilstein 5100's I have now are a world better. Kolak@aol.com sells them.
Unread 09-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #43
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
You can either drill through the fire wall and use a rubber gasket or run it back by the fire wall to the drivers side through the opening there.
This.^
Unread 09-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #44
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

So I I did some calculations today and man things are getting a little expensive and im really in need of tires so I think im just going to run 30x950x15 but now the question is, should I go with bfg km2 or a/t? Reason why im going with tires first rather than the lift is that my thread is almost done for and maybe in a month or less I will get the lift but at this time I can only afford tires =( So what are the pros and cons of the km2 and the a/t is this is my dd and I plan to do a little bit of everything. Also since im low on funds, I think Im just going to get the 1.75bb.
Unread 09-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #45
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

They are both great tires. The at's are going to be almost if not equally as loud as the muds. The at's will probably last longer and may be better in snow or rain. I had at's for a while and just didn't see the point in them because the difference between the two tires road manners is negligible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.