Bad Rocky Road Offroad (RRO) Experience :( - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Bad Rocky Road Offroad (RRO) Experience :(

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-07-2007, 07:35 PM   #91
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Same company...

Unread 10-07-2007, 08:55 PM   #92
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

I noticed that kevin changed his webZite... itZ better now.
I can't wait till I get the cash to order that longarm kit!

1998 5.9 limited, DT headers, CAI, 3" exhaust.
FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2007, 11:40 AM   #93
KevinF

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortCollinsZJ
I noticed that kevin changed his webZite... itZ better now.
LOL!!! I think it looks worse, frankly, but that's why I build Jeep parts and not websites for a living. I changed the colors to match the colors of the new logo. Others have said the same thing, but again, I thought it looked worse when I was done.

Hang in there...new website is in the process: http://www.kevinsoffroadmanufacturing.com/

Kevin
KevinF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2007, 12:30 PM   #94
WJHAWK

That's gonna be much more navigable and user friendly!

[SIZE="6"][COLOR="Blue"]GO KU!!!!!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE]
WJHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2007, 11:06 PM   #95
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

It just goes to show, whats more important? A flashy bells and whistle website with a crappy product, or a simple laymans site, featuring outstanding products? I prefer the latter.

Those Skyjacker type of websites just scare me, they are TOO big.

1998 5.9 limited, DT headers, CAI, 3" exhaust.
FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2007, 08:26 AM   #96
EisBlade
1999 WJ 

ref: Rocky Road 3.5in Trailblazer is a NO-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere
None of the Jeeps on thier site are Jeeps with RR lifts.

There WJ 3.5" lift is a Jeep with 6" of lift.
Ohhh, man, don't even get me started about their 3.5in "Trailblazer" lift. I bought one and have had DW like there's no tomorrow. Something just ain't right, and it's not worn components. I've replaced everything on the front end completely. No DW right now, but it's still sketchy at times at 70mph, and shouldn't be. The only thing I have left of their kit to remove are the longer LCA's.

I haven't had any bad experience with Rocky Road so I can't add to the flow of this thread in that regard. My order shipped in 2 packages with one arriving slightly delayed due to warehouse backorder. All phone calls to Rocky Road were dealt with professionally and they even called me back when researching information. It's not because of bad service that I'm pulling their offroad kit off - it's because I'm slowly backtracking trying to get as stable and secure a ride as possible, and I haven't had that since I installed their lift kit. When you think about it - 2" BB's sitting on top of OME springs and shocks doesn't amount to much that RRO could be held responsible for, so I'm holding on to those components. My main intent is to remove those items I have no clue about...the LCA's they sent, and adjustable trackbar. I went to a JKS trackbar. Since the WJ won't handle much over a 2in lift without longer LCA's I'll be shelfing the BB's for now.
The largest forum on Facebook for Road King and larger touring models.

Disclaimer:Not responsible for men of weak character.

Last edited by EisBlade; 10-17-2007 at 08:44 AM..
EisBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #97
kenbuck
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Remove the front LCA's. A Wj owner in my club had them and it vibrated fiercely until he removed them and reinstalled the stockers. They actually credited him for them towards a set of rock rails. They then sent out the incorrect rock rails.

And my Wj has 4.5" on the stock arms, doesnt vibrate or death wobble.
33" KM's
misc other stuff.....
kenbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #98
EisBlade
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuck
Remove the front LCA's. A Wj owner in my club had them and it vibrated fiercely until he removed them and reinstalled the stockers. They actually credited him for them towards a set of rock rails. They then sent out the incorrect rock rails.

And my Wj has 4.5" on the stock arms, doesnt vibrate or death wobble.

Yeah...that's what I was afraid of...it being the very last item I pull of; wonderful.
You've got 4.5" on stock LCA's? Wow, maybe no vibration, but with the arms at steeper angles that should result in a harsher ride since the leverage to push them upward is greater, no? What spring/shock setup are you running and what's your thought on how it rides on highway? Would you change anything if given the chance to swap something out? I'm looking for anything I can to keep my height (get it back up there, actually) at 3.5" with nice rideability.

Any suggestions on where I could get stock LCA's from...and would '02 components fit my '99? I'm thinking they should, but am not sure. It's still a WJ design, I mean.

Unread 10-18-2007, 01:28 PM   #99
chipmunkchyc04
1995 ZJ 

well....

not to talk them up, cause there is definately better stuff out there, i have the 3.5 in kit on my truck, i really havent had any issues.... stock ca's, i want to replace the track bar and steering stabilizer but im pretty happy with everything else... they shipped to me in 2 packages and charged me extra shipping, but other than that... its cool... my man did the 4.5 in lift, he got 5 in out of it, he has had to put on a jks trackbar and do some front adj ca's... but otherwise, its a good ride...
Unread 10-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #100
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunkchyc04
they shipped to me in 2 packages and charged me extra shipping
Haha. I think you summed it up best right there! I don't think anybody is bagging on their product (too much)...
'51 CJ-3A

RyanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2007, 12:50 PM   #101
EisBlade
1999 WJ 

Update-OEM LCA's on, and 2in BB's back on.

Thank you for the suggestions. I ordered LCA's and rotors from PartsTrain.com (nice pricing) and have been waiting for them to arrive. All day Saturday was spent messing with the WJ. I was installing new pads, rotors, rotating tires, installing OEM LCA's, and reinstalling the 2in BB's. As soon as I get it aligned I'll post how things are going. It does ride nice but it's the alignment that will tell all. Stay tuned!

Unread 11-03-2007, 03:32 PM   #102
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuck
i guess i should have listened to everyone. placed an order from him last week and still hasnt been shipped. so i called and cancelled and ordered through Kevins and this is the email i get from Glenn Wakefield, the owner of rro,

"One-man backyard operations like Kevin's are able to ship quick as they only get a couple orders per day. Unfortunately I guess, the huge demand for our parts causes us to have to play catch-up this time of year. In slower times for our industry such as Fall coming up, orders are usually shipped same or next day. Good that you were able to find someone slow enough to ship right away though.

Glenn Wakefield"

Unbelievable
thats crap, crutchfield.com deals in huge volume and they are the best company ive ever seen for shipping and customer service online. youll get anything thats shipped with standard shipping in 2-3 days
UTChavok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2007, 01:05 AM   #103
tobogan

so is the product quality decent at Rocky Road? and just the customer service/shipping terrible?

if thats the case i can wait because im a cheapass highschool kid
tobogan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2007, 06:34 AM   #104
kenbuck
2002 TJ Wrangler 

they dont sell anything you cant get anyplace else for a comparable price.
do the offroad community a favor and dont buy from this place. having principle is more important than saving a buck or 10. theres 7 pages of reasons not to deal with this place.
33" KM's
misc other stuff.....
kenbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2007, 10:45 AM   #105
EisBlade
1999 WJ 

I second that!

Tobogan - KenBuck just summed that up pretty well - you can buy the components of RRO's lift kit elsewhere. If you're schooling and are careful about what you put your money into then buy what you need for a nice lift and ride and avoid being locked into the rest that you get if you were to buy their kit. If you look at their web site and what the kit includes versus what you get out of it in the end; you can shop for items below and get what that kit gives you for less - without the hassle of bad service, poor components, or ride quality.
- Old Man Emu 2" shock and spring lift
- 2" Budget Boost spacers (install on top of the OME lift)
- a JKS adjustable trackbar
- longer sway bar links

Additional items that you'd get with the RRO kit and the result:
- Roesch shocks (severe reduction of ride quality. felt like a stiff truck suspension)
- longer tubular LCA's (poor construction. Death Wobble. Does not even match OEM contruction standards and wears out quickly. Demands future purchase to replace with something else.)
- tranny and rear CA drop kit (not necessary)
- adjustable track bar (Why? Just get a JKS; it's proven!)

Mine, heck, I'm not ashamed; I drive it mostly to work and around like most fathers with SUV's. Being military however I don't hesitate to jump a curb or two, climb some hills, and go camping or drive onto the beaches with it. I wanted something beefier and nicer looking that didn't cost much, but that gave me a better ride than stock. If I look at what I purchased versus what I had to purchase after - it all boils down to those components that I mentioned above.

OH - here's a little insight to their longer LCA's (which are tubular, btw). OEM LCA's are more of a rectangular shape, whereas Rocky Road Outfitters shipped a set of longer tubular LCA's to me. OEM LCA's have steel sheaths through which the bolts go through to secure them to the frame. RRO's LCA's have sheaths inside the bushing that stop short of the width required, and the polyurethane bushing fills in in between. This bushing gets pinched between moving metal, filling the gap between your LCA's and the frame. As you drive it wears out and space/looseness is created. Either way - I had death wobble since day #1. I kid you not; I literally looked at and replaced EVERY component on my front end over the next year trying to rid myself of serious death wobble. With everything new except the RRO LCA's I still had it. I replaced them with OEM after someone on here suggested it and it's gone.

The moral of the story here, as well as time spent by so many others sharing their experiences with Rocky Road, you can opt to go cheap all you want but this is definately a case of 'you get what you pay for'. And in the end, you won't have saved yourself any money. I'm willing to bet you spent more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.