Bad? News about the exploding jeeps - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Bad? News about the exploding jeeps

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 06-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #76
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post

this^
What exactly are you saying? This what?

Unread 06-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #77
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagsc7 View Post
I guess you don't realize there is a Difference between Recommended and Required. Reason that I stated those states is when I've had a trailer that didn't have lights on it, I had to know what states I could legally drive it thru for various reasons.

I just looked it up again, and Here is where I got the info. GA, SD, AB, NWT, and YT are the only ones that have lights required at all times. Thus, IF it's not Required for Daytime Running Lights, then Trailer lights in the day are NOT Required...

*I'm Done with this...*
Do as you please, half-assed. If/when you get rear-ended, it'll be your fault
this^
What exactly are you saying? This what?
Does that help? Least if I got rear-ended, I wouldn't have my ZJ explode on me. The trailer would absorb the impact.

Actually fault would be on the one that impacted the first vehicle.
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #78
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Does that help? Least if I got rear-ended, I wouldn't have my ZJ explode on me. The trailer would absorb the impact.

Actually fault would be on the one that impacted the first vehicle.
You can read all the laws you want, but when the person that hits you tells the responding officer that you have no lights on your trailer, you'll be the one to see the judge. Just go with it, I don't care if you wanna run trailer lights or not.
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #79
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
and it would also force your hitch straight into your gas tank
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #80
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

My god, these people are lunatics: http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/...call_20130624/

"“If Chrysler cared about Jeep owners, they would have done a recall that provided adequate protection in crashes up to at least 50 mph into the rear of the vehicle. It just shows that Chrysler doesn't care.”

Okay smart guy, how would your re-engineer a 20 year old, or any, vehicle to be crash proof? What a bunch of freakin babies.

It's too bad people will believe whatever stupid lies in the news are told, because I would like to see them go to court and a judge just unload on the NHSTA...
My ZJ Injector Swap HowTo
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #81
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

“The trailer hitch,” he explained, “doesn’t provide any protection from the primary failure mode in these crashes, which is the nose of the striking car coming under the bumper and impacting the gas tank. If it goes under the bumper, it will go under the trailer hitch.”

maybe they'll make us install under ride guards like you see on tractor trailers. mine would come right off, because that would absolutely kill your departure angle
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #82
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio
&ldquo;The trailer hitch,&rdquo; he explained, &ldquo;doesn&rsquo;t provide any protection from the primary failure mode in these crashes, which is the nose of the striking car coming under the bumper and impacting the gas tank. If it goes under the bumper, it will go under the trailer hitch.&rdquo;

maybe they'll make us install under ride guards like you see on tractor trailers. mine would come right off, because that would absolutely kill your departure angle
I love the jeeping community! Departure angles > fiery death. Got to have priorities.

Also,Good to hear that obnoxious weed is staying down south were it does not belong.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #83
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

This is what JF has come to, eh? I venture on here tonight during a bout of insomnia, and there's an enormo thread about this SAME issue again? The ZJ is the safest SUV of that era. I rolled mine going 70 and came out of it without a scratch. They are not dangerous nor do they have some engineering flaw that'll cause them to spontaneously combust. Let it go. This whole thing has gotten blown out of proportion again. No auto company should be held responsible for retro-fitting double decade outdated vehicles because modern safety standards state they're unsafe in some manner. It'd bankrupt the industry. Out of millions upon millions of ZJ's on the road since their release in '93 there have been a minuscule number have this specific set of circumstances lead to the cited outcome. You have more of a chance of winning the lottery twice in a row, I'd imagine. If you're really worried about it, trailer hitch will likely do the most good. Go find one at the nearest junkyard, mount to your Jeep, and quiet down. Unless you really expect Chrysler to pay for one for you.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.