Bad? News about the exploding jeeps - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Bad? News about the exploding jeeps

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #46
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNicholson

True! I never towed more than a log splitter with my old ZJ, but that hitch came in handy for pulling other things....once pulled an eight foot long kudzu root out off the ground that was as thick as my forearm with it, and some other unwanted shrubbery
Kudzu in Ohio? Good God I hope that **** stays east!

F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #47
um7267
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwonder View Post
*rolls eyes* I guess we're the only vehicles that have this issue.. I mean.. it's not like ANY gas tank in the rear is a possible fire issue
but we are the only ones that have a plastic bumper stopping impact vs an explorer that has a steel bumper
to the good times and the bad, the family we have and lost, little brother 1988-2011
um7267 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #48
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshw301 View Post

Kudzu in Ohio? Good God I hope that **** stays east!
No no no no no good Lord no lol

I used to live in western North Carolina

Kudzu better not make it up here!
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #49
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by um7267 View Post

but we are the only ones that have a plastic bumper stopping impact vs an explorer that has a steel bumper
We've got a steel bumper too, ours is just covered in a hard candy shell
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #50
1shotwonder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by um7267 View Post
You have a steel bumper, it's under the plastic
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #51
BLarkin
1997 ZJ 

That gives me a thought. If you take a jeep in to the dealer with a aftermarket steel bumper, think they would still install a hitch? I would think a heavy 1/4" plate steel bumper would work a whole lot better than a standard hitch in a rear end collision. Or will this recall apply to stock, non modified jeeps only?
BLarkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #52
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLarkin View Post
That gives me a thought. If you take a jeep in to the dealer with a aftermarket steel bumper, think they would still install a hitch? I would think a heavy 1/4" plate steel bumper would work a whole lot better than a standard hitch in a rear end collision. Or will this recall apply to stock, non modified jeeps only?
I would think that all bets are off with modded Jeeps
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #53
BLarkin
1997 ZJ 

I would think so too. But at the same time, who is to say how many mods are too many? Or, which mods are ok, and which aren't? Is a BB considered modded? That would raise the rear bumper up, thus allowing the nose of a car to go up under the rear of the jeep easier. That would be the perfect candidate for a hitch.

Not saying I agree either way. Mine isn't stock, and I added a hitch about 6 months ago. I won't be taking mine for the recall, so I could really care less lol
BLarkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #54
LouC
2007 WK 

The whole thing is pretty absurd to say the least. The ZJ gets released in 1992 as a 93 model. Because of a few well publicized accidents, the Center for Auto Safety calls for a recall in 2009, lets see, thats 17 years later. 17 years. What an efficient watch dog. NHTSA did not take notice till CAS made an issue of it. The bigger issue is that they met the old standard when they were built. Then the standard was made much stricter for the 2008 year. But the standard for fuel tank safety, was the same, for more than 30 years. More than 30 keep that in mind. So how concerned were the federal regulators about this, ask yourself that. And there were many other vehicles made with rear mounted tanks, I could give you a list if you want, but one that is still made that way is the ultra pricey Mercedes Benz G-500, yes go look under one, just like the Jeeps but they do have a skid on it.

I'd advise any Jeep owner, if they are concerned, then put a hitch and skid on it. You will never get the total truth out of the gov't on this, and their statistical analysis is plainly flawed if you look at it. Myself, I feel that the hitch and skid should have been standard if they were going to use that design. If you look at how they mount on a ZJ, they add together a flange that is pretty thick on both sides of the tank, which stiffens up that area quite well. Plus if someone goes under your bumper then you are well protected. The factory ZJ skid is very stout.

If you have a lift and no skid then you are exposing yourself to extra risk. The factory hitch goes right behind the tank and the skid fits just below that so together they make it as safe as it can be. If Chrysler made these standard, we wouldn't even be having this discussion all these years later.
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #55
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
If Chrysler made these standard, we wouldn't even be having this discussion all these years later.
If they made automatic tracking & targeting rearward facing machine guns standard we wouldn't be having this discussion either, but that wont be the safety standard for 20 years.
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #56
thathubcapguy
1996 ZJ 

lol it will be the most valuable thing on my truck, i wouldn't bother but a free factory hitch is for me
thathubcapguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #57
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

i was on my way to my grandparents house to borrow their small utility trailer once. i had put the draw bar in my hitch before i left my house. someone didnt stop in time, and they got a nice hole in their bumper
wish i took pictures, but i was already running late to my grandparent's and i just wanted to get on my way
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #58
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

Nice I hope I can get a free hitch setup on my ZJ lol
98GCLimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #59
LouC
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster51 View Post
If they made automatic tracking & targeting rearward facing machine guns standard we wouldn't be having this discussion either, but that wont be the safety standard for 20 years.
Your statement makes no sense, anyone who looks are the rear design of these Jeeps and knows that the factory had available both a hitch and a skid plate would understand that adding those would have made it safer. Its not like it was some unknown technology. Now for the past 3 years the safety advocates have had a field day damaging Chrysler's reputation. If Chryco had spent the extra money on that, this would be a non issue. It happened to Ford, it happened to GM and they should have learned from that.
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #60
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

2015 KL Cherokee 

I'm debating weather I want to go to the trouble of taking the hitch I found in the junkyard 2 weeks ago to get a brand new one...from what I'm reading it's only going to be a hitch no skid. If that's the case, I don't think I will bother...

Whoever goes to the dealership post results here!
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.