AP's 5 Speed WJ Build - Page 76 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > AP's 5 Speed WJ Build

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 10-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #1126
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

I bought and use this. JD2.

gcjeeping is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #1127
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

The harbor freight roll bender has been absolutely awesome once I added the wings to it (SWAG offroad style). The regular tube bender I've been using has been a JD2 model 3 for the most part. Now that I'm at the shop I'm lucky enough to have some awesome Mitler Bro's equipment to work with, but that's way outside the realm of everyday garage work.

Soo there have been some big updates, as in the jeep is completely mobile!
Flange for the 205

Superduty 1350 front driveshaft

retubed with 2 3/8 .188 wall, with pucks machined to adapt sizes on the ends

Zeroing using the lathe, tools are nice haha.

Then I went wheeling. ~70 miles each way. Drove up to Fordyce, wheeled all weekend, slashed a tire which had to be replaced with spare but otherwise no problems before driving back home and putting another 100+ miles on it in the last week or two. It has been AWESOME, and put a huge smile on my face.

Coming down winch hill 3 bypass

Finally bent a Claytons UCA. No disrespect to them, this is 7-8 years of HARD abuse and I know exactly when it happened this trip, I was flogging my jeep HARD that weekend.

Aaaand bent my new crossmember. 2x1" .120 is not enough for hard hits lol.

All in all things are great with the WJ. Needs TLC after the weekend but still has no problem on the road
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #1128
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

That's insane about that control arm! Are you gonna see what they say about it, or just build your own new suspension?

Good to hear about the hf roller. I plan on buying that (with swag upgrade), a jd model 32, and bendtech software here in the next few day.

How wonderful was it having all those low t case options?
Unread 11-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #1129
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

I knew if someone could bend one of there arms it would be you!! I'd be curious to see a few more pictures.
03 Grand Cherokee Limited-White/Agate-4.7HO/QD-OME HD springs-1" spacers-MX6 shocks-OME SS-IRO rear links-255/75/17 BFG muds-JK Moabs-Muffler Delete-Magnaflow Cats x3-V3 Projectors 35w 5000k HID and High/Low harness w/relays-IRO Premium Sliders-SOLID D30 Cover-Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs/3/4" black shackles http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...1/#post9902192
--Enchanted Mountain Off-road Crew--Olean NY
enchantedmountainoffroad@gmail.com
platinum5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #1130
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Oops I said UCA - I meant LCA haha. I'm not even worried about having Clayton's do anything about it. I've moved the radius arm pickup points a few times so they aren't in the original positions which might void the warranty anyways, but I'm not worried. I sincerely believe I've gotten every pennies worth out of this kit, and I'm just going to make a new control arm. HF roller w/swag weld on wings, a bender like those from JD2, and bend tech is all you need to make some magic happen . The tcase options were just about all I could ask for and worked as I'd hoped. I ran around in the 1.96:1 low of the 205 for most of the wheeling, then dropped into double low to slow down when going up or going down things.

I'm surprised I was able to bend one of these arms, but it had to happen sooner or later haha. I'll snap some more pics of it, but you can see it in the bent crossmember pic as well.
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #1131
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

I figured you weren't worried about it. I know you've been wanting to build a suspension like you did on Marc's. Can't wait to see what you do.
Unread 11-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #1132
wj4play
1999 WJ 

Random question - how are your rear wheel bearings and seal holding up with those size tires?

Sent from busted up iPhone
Unread 11-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #1133
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

I haven't decided if it's time to rebuild the suspension yet or just build a new identical LCA. I will actually probably end up leaving the control arms almost as they sit if I do a 3 link, but that will probably be a ways out. I expect to get some snow wheeling in this winter and don't want to take it off the road for any projects. This is time to enjoy it all .

My wheel bearings haven't been a problem for me at all. Up front I'm running D60 outers so with my 36" tires I'm not even close to the limit compared to people running 40-42" tires and still lasting relatively well. In the rear I have the factory big bearing ford 9" bearings, and I have not replaced either one since I bought the axle years ago. I didn't even replace them then, they looked good enough to run. My front inner axle seals are just starting to weep, but my guess is I need to repack them with grease...I expect the seals to be good. In the rear my wheel seals are starting to weep, but I blame that on the fact I think I've started bending the factory 9" housing. I don't know that for sure yet and I've got to put a jig bar through it next time I have things apart to see how bad it is. If it's bad enough, another Ruffstuff 9" housing may be in the future for this jeep but I'll pull every bit of life out of this factory housing before I go that route.

Working windows is high on my to-do list, so I can snow wheel this winter without the potential of getting soaked. I've done many trips without working windows, and it's not the cold that gets ya it's the wetness. But with working seat heaters and a working heater, things are awesome either way lol!
Unread 11-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #1134
wj4play
1999 WJ 

Here in Iowa - no windows = freeze your butt off regardless of heated seats and heater

Thanks for the info on the status of your seals - not sure what direction I want to go - I like my 37"s on factory rims which would work on the 9 I have but again once I put the axles in I never want them to leak or break

Sent from busted up iPhone
Unread 11-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #1135
CRJEeP_wj
2002 WJ 

You have any more pics of your fordyce trip? Have you tried wh3 before without taking the bypass?
Unread 11-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #1136
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

Their is a generic heat seater kit that is calling my name on ebay
1993 ZJ Clayton long arms with Johnny joints, custom front axle W yota center, D44 chevy outers, fabtech dirtlogic 2.25, front bilsten rear shocks, tacoma rear axle, 4.88, arb rear, 5 speed, poly motor mount inserts, NP241OR 4-1 ,receiver front for xcr 8k winch
sdmayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #1137
kaserWJ04
2004 WJ 

Nice rig! looks like it was a pain in the *** to work on!
kaserWJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #1138
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Hey everyone! The jeep is still alive and kicking . Beat the crap out of it at KOH last month, and it spurred me into building a race buggy.

If you're interested in what I'm doing for the buggy build, like my facebook (link in sig). I put pictures up pretty regularly of all the different stuff I work on.

Here are a few teasers though:
Mid engine LS
6L80E 6 speed paddle shiftable automatic
242HD tcase out of a WJ
Flipped HP60 rear axle
Flipped Sterling 10.25 front axle

Cantilever front and rear suspension, 14" coilover netting ~22" travel

So yeah...nothing too new for the WJ except for using and enjoying it. Though I'm still having fun haha
Unread 03-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #1139
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Front and rear canti lever, hope you have some Advil and scratch paper! Lol
Unread 03-22-2014, 12:13 AM   #1140
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Incredible work in here, excellent job! Sub'd.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.