AP's 5 Speed WJ Build - Page 73 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > AP's 5 Speed WJ Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #1081
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

I've got fun stuff stirring for the jeep

Brought my Ford NP205 over to the shop

Tore it apart, sandblasted things

Took a 231, tore it apart, cut the front output off and sandblasted it

Found the drawing for a 231 doubler online and cut it out of sheetmetal to see if it was accurate, and figure out the ideal configuration for the clocking ring.

Front yoke gets close to the 231, but close is perfect . Now it's time to cut the real doubler out of a couple pieces of 3/8" plate, build it and get the correct midshaft made by Dean @ Kickass Offroad

Indestrucable doubler and bigger driveshaft u-joints here I come . Game on!

Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #1082
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good.

What happened to the tcase mounting surface on the driver side of the transmission?

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #1083
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Thanks Dillon! That part of the trans...I broke it heh. I've been trying to source another rear case half for the transmission, but no such luck yet without buying another entire transmission. With the new doubler build I'm going to be building a full new mounting solution for the trans and the heavy NP205, so I will be able to absorb a lot of the torque before it reaches the trans-tcase mounting surface. I don't know if that will be enough in the long run, but until I find a new case half this is what I got haha.
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #1084
Shinobi
2001 WJ 

Thats going to be sweet, what will your expected crawl ratio be in low low ?
Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #1085
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

I'm at about 48:1 right now, this will put me around 96:1 which should be perfect for the technical times I'm currently slipping the clutch to get through. In 95% of the wheeling I do I figure I'll be using the 2.72:1, even may use the 1.96:1 of the 205 depending on how well the gears work out.
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #1086
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

Greg wouldn't it be better to go to a 241or like I have? My final ratio is 80 to 1 with the rubicon transfer case. Nv3550 and 4.89 in the yota axles.

Squirrel .. Might be able to get into barret lake on one of the clean up crews!
1993 ZJ Clayton long arms with Johnny joints, custom front axle W yota center, D44 chevy outers, fabtech dirtlogic 2.25, front bilsten rear shocks, tacoma rear axle, 4.88, arb rear, 5 speed, poly motor mount inserts, NP241OR 4-1 ,receiver front for xcr 8k winch
sdmayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 12:55 AM   #1087
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Shawn while the 4:1 would work well for me in the slow technical crawling sections, realistically I use my current 2.72:1 in most wheeling situations without regret. My group and I maintain a pretty good pace while were wheeling. I'm actually even excited to use the 1.96:1 low of the 205 for just cruising. I'll probably only use the double low 10-20% of the time. Though the options with the twin sticks and ability to control front and rear wheel drives individually is exciting. I really need to get my ebrake in working order to make front digs as effective as they can be.
Unread 07-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #1088
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

I haven't been on here in awhile. It's great to see you're still rockin this WJ!

This has to be one of my favorite WJ's ever. Every time I see this, I imagine it crawling from the depths of Hell with South of Heaven screaming in the background.
Unread 07-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #1089
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

Funny thing is I did half of Barrett lake jeep trail last weekend with the clean up crew. The trail is so tough that I was in first gear 75% of the time. Comment from trail boss was that trail was roughest he has ever sen it in 30 years.

However between the tough technical sections I was shifting up to 3rd or 4th gear to get moving. Which is your point

I need to stop be and have you build the belly pan. It was rough going with 33's as I scrapped quite a bit on everything underside.
1993 ZJ Clayton long arms with Johnny joints, custom front axle W yota center, D44 chevy outers, fabtech dirtlogic 2.25, front bilsten rear shocks, tacoma rear axle, 4.88, arb rear, 5 speed, poly motor mount inserts, NP241OR 4-1 ,receiver front for xcr 8k winch
Unread 07-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #1090
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Oh I'm so entirely jealous right now! Is the trail open or was this one of the cleanups you were telling me about? I sure hope it has the potential of opening to the public soon! Especially if it's more challenging, that will be even more fun. At first I had a hard time with my lack of crawl ratio, but as I adapted to how the jeep wanted to be driven I became extremely comfortable with it. I do a log of my technical crawling in the 500-700 RPM range. This soupbowl isn't my smoothest driving ever, but pretty dang controlled all the way through

Let me know when you're ready to do the belly pan, we'll get a solid plan together and I'll make it happen for ya.

Some more has been going on with the doubler build, check it out!

Doubler ring that bolts to the 205.

Here's the doubler plate itself, the outer holes were undersized so the poor cut quality doesn't hurt things.

Fiiiinally pulled the automatic shifter out of the console, and replaced it with the new twin stick shifters for the 205.

The shifter solution is going to be pretty damn slick...just wait
Unread 07-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #1091
wj4play
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake
Oh I'm so entirely jealous right now! Is the trail open or was this one of the cleanups you were telling me about? I sure hope it has the potential of opening to the public soon! Especially if it's more challenging, that will be even more fun. At first I had a hard time with my lack of crawl ratio, but as I adapted to how the jeep wanted to be driven I became extremely comfortable with it. I do a log of my technical crawling in the 500-700 RPM range. This soupbowl isn't my smoothest driving ever, but pretty dang controlled all the way through

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMaSqxOen4U

Let me know when you're ready to do the belly pan, we'll get a solid plan together and I'll make it happen for ya.

Some more has been going on with the doubler build, check it out!

Doubler ring that bolts to the 205.

Here's the doubler plate itself, the outer holes were undersized so the poor cut quality doesn't hurt things.

Fiiiinally pulled the automatic shifter out of the console, and replaced it with the new twin stick shifters for the 205.

The shifter solution is going to be pretty damn slick...just wait
That shifter is slick
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #1092
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

I'm gunna have to run by your place soon to check it out since i'm in Rocklin now.
gcjeeping is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #1093
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Hell yeah! My shop is down by where Sunrise hits 50 so you've got a little drive down Sierra College/Hazel, but I'd have fun hangin out and seeing your thoughts on things
Unread 07-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #1094
sdmayhew
1993 ZJ 

Greg I went in with the highlanders 4x4 club. We were cutting the trail to where the new bridge is going to go. Sounds like bridge should be built soon. The hope is by fall to have it all done. I went in three years ago and the trail was not nearly as rough. Trail boss said trail was roughest he has seen it in 30 years.

I can attest to Greg's work seeing it in person.
Unread 07-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #1095
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
Hell yeah! My shop is down by where Sunrise hits 50 so you've got a little drive down Sierra College/Hazel, but I'd have fun hangin out and seeing your thoughts on things
Let me know a good time to come by and an address. Mabey a few others would show.
gcjeeping is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.