AP's 5 Speed WJ Build - Page 57 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > AP's 5 Speed WJ Build

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail 99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Dark Headlights Clear Cor99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Chrome Headlights

Unread 11-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #841
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

I was waitibg to see like 18 inch travel shocks. Hahahah. Are you going to mount them through the hood in front and florrboard in the rear?

Unread 11-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #842
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

I want to see the frobot'd WJ. I also want Frobot stickers...
Unread 11-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #843
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc View Post
I was waitibg to see like 18 inch travel shocks. Hahahah. Are you going to mount them through the hood in front and florrboard in the rear?
Get the metalcloaks six backs and you could run 16" travel ones no problem.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #844
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Rick I got to test the fronts out this weekend, holy CRAP! They are beyond badass and I can't wait to get my rears done! Marc honestly I'd say a 14" shock is just about the max you can reasonably run with coils. I've got my front end set up for just a bit over 6" of uptravel, and I've got about 7" until the coil unseats. That leaves about 13" total travel, but I have my coils clamped and let them go a little extra hehe. Platinum I'll get ya an overall pic or two. And Brian I'm still waiting to hear from people who've been running those, curious concept!

So earlier today I got back from a pretty wicked snow camping/wheelin weekend rockin my new 5165's in the front only (not enough time to get the rears done haha). I can't wait until I have the rears in also, my jeep will ****ing FLY. Unfortunately I have no video footage (yet), but needless to say I was definately pushing them racing down the snow covered roads around Fordyce

I will start off with this picture alone:

So that picture was taken in the staging area to Fordyce trail this morning. We started friday night and made it as far into the trail as possible. The ice almost pushed all of us over the cliff a couple times, and we had to hook everyone up to a winch just to make sure they wouldnt slide down the cliff like I almost did twice. We made it about 4-5 miles in, and decided it wasn't worth it to continue with how bad the conditions were getting with it only getting colder (got down to 10ish degrees the first night) so we turned around and made it back to the staging area around 1 in the morning and set that up as base camp for the weekend instead of trying to attack the entire trail. That allowed us to do some more extensive exploring of the area, as we were getting hit with snow to give us a nice soft base to romp on. All I can say is it was AWESOME

Now rewind a step or two, and here's what I have for my front bilsteins right now. Here they are in all their glory, kicked out a bit at the bottom to ensure frame rail clearance among other things.

My lower mounts, still might add a gusset or two to reinforce them

Here's the passenger side upper mount, and these will definately be getting a brace to add more weld surface and keep them from bending

And the drivers side, ya know where theres a TON of room to work with *cough*...yeah not so much

Besides that, I plated in the open sides of my hood

and gave myself a real hood latch again, so nice to have!
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #845
Ricochet88
1993 ZJ 

I told you! There's no words to explain them they just soak everything up like its nothing while your grinning ear to ear

R.I.P. TROY EDWARDS "bigbluezj94"
Ricochet88 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #846
Shinobi
2001 WJ 

damn I want some now ...
Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #847
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Yeah it's no joke Rick! I am itching to get the rears installed and get another trip with the gopro on board, it's snow wheelin season now!

Kanin you should get some, I'll take ya for a ride in my jeep sometime! They are incredible.

Been doin some more work, and took pictures of other stuff I worked on before the trip.

First, this shows a little of the wiring I did. The positive is 0 gauge and runs through the switch, the ground is kinda a joke and was just to get me through the weekend but suprisingly didnt give me any issues

And here's the other half of the project. Right before the trip I gave myself a sweet cooler rack out of angle iron. Today I've been working on hinged floor panels to go on each side of the cooler rack. All my spare parts and tools will be stored underneath with all my camping gear on the top section.

I made everything so the little frame can hinge up with an aluminum panel, but when I lifted only the aluminum for this picture I kinda liked it, so now I'm torn between hinging just the aluminum or the whole little frame I built underneath it too
Unread 11-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #848
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

Nice!

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2011, 03:45 AM   #849
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I'd been wondering what to do with my shock mounts. Didnt think of doing them that way, so I've copied that concept to get a couple more inches out of my 12" fox shocks.

Though I dont have a cnc plasma table to cut brackets with so easily.

Nice work as usual.

Oh, I can't tell from those pics, but a bottom cross plate on those shock brackets should be all you need.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #850
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Thanks man, and Torchmate FTW! Yeah and those extra few inches of travel are exactly why I made the mounts this way, so I could put as little through the inner fenders as possible. The cross plate underneath is what I was thinking too .

I've been out in the garage looking at how I'm going to be doing my rear shock mounts...and it involves rebuilding the rear half of my frame rails...yay haha. I've got some wicked bending and cracking happening in the rear frame rails that I need to address...it's getting significantly worse and it's what is allowing my bumper to flex up and down
Unread 11-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #851
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

So i've been pondering my rear shock install and came to a command decision a couple days ago to replace the rear half of the frame rails in the process. They were both starting to crinkle and I only plan on getting harder on this thing, so I wanted to make sure it lasts. I got the peice of steel a few days ago, started the tear down last night and began the cutting today. I've made a ton of progress so here are some pics!

The reason I'm replacing them, the frame rail is actually pointing in a slightly different direction after the wrinkle so things were moving around a ton

Gotta love unibodies!

I think something's missing here...

For those who don't think unibodies have removeable frames...BS! :booya:

Aaaand here's its replacement. 4x4 3/16" box tube. Overkill? Possibly, but thats what I'm here for

Here's the transition into the factory rail that will get plated

And getting welded into the floor. It will be a KILLER spot to land cage feet

Welding it all together under the floor
Unread 11-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #852
SaturnICL
1999 WJ 

I had dreamed of cutting the uniframe off of mine and installing a tube frame in its place!
Unread 11-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #853
PurpleZJ
1996 ZJ 

awesome work man, awesome work. btw did you get my pm?
1996 ZJ- 4.0, [COLOR="Purple"]AX-15 5SPD/NP242[/COLOR], RE 4.5" lift, 36x12.50x16.5 Goodyear military surplus tires, Longarms/Tri-4 link/one ton axle build/swap in progress, arb bumper, a bunch of other goodies
1995 XJ- 4.0 HO, ax-15(stolen for swap), stock
2001 GMC Sonoma-RIP...
2002 GMC Sierra 1500 ECSB-roadtrip/long haul vehicle
[CENTER][COLOR="Blue"]RIP Troy (bigbluezj94) you wont be forgotten[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Purple"]December 2010 GCOTM[/COLOR]

5spd ZJ Club Member 001
[/CENTER]

[QUOTE=bddisi;6376248]Glad you are ok. If you were a cat, you would be down to 8.:D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Greengc4x4;10782815]Everything looks great, Hellen Keller! :D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=rritch;10960201]plastic + Fuel + Ignition = "Bubba wake up this is gonna be good" :rofl:[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Purple"]RIP William Anthony Kolich(DAD)
you were the best father i could have wished for. I'll always miss you
04/28/58-2/13/11[/COLOR][/CENTER]
PurpleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #854
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Thanks man!

Also did a good amount more work on the rails considering I had to start after school. Is this considered cheating? Laser lines ftmfw.

And voila, old rail out and mocking new rail into place

Yeahhh buddy! You can see the battery box too. Still gotta wrap that in sheet metal

Rust cleaned and tacked into place

and layin some beads! I definately was not expecting to get this far last night, makes me feel great about the week and time I have left!
Unread 11-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #855
PurpleZJ
1996 ZJ 

i like where you are going with this. quit giving me ideas!!
1996 ZJ- 4.0, [COLOR="Purple"]AX-15 5SPD/NP242[/COLOR], RE 4.5" lift, 36x12.50x16.5 Goodyear military surplus tires, Longarms/Tri-4 link/one ton axle build/swap in progress, arb bumper, a bunch of other goodies
1995 XJ- 4.0 HO, ax-15(stolen for swap), stock
2001 GMC Sonoma-RIP...
2002 GMC Sierra 1500 ECSB-roadtrip/long haul vehicle
[CENTER][COLOR="Blue"]RIP Troy (bigbluezj94) you wont be forgotten[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Purple"]December 2010 GCOTM[/COLOR]

5spd ZJ Club Member 001
[/CENTER]

[QUOTE=bddisi;6376248]Glad you are ok. If you were a cat, you would be down to 8.:D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Greengc4x4;10782815]Everything looks great, Hellen Keller! :D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=rritch;10960201]plastic + Fuel + Ignition = "Bubba wake up this is gonna be good" :rofl:[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Purple"]RIP William Anthony Kolich(DAD)
you were the best father i could have wished for. I'll always miss you
04/28/58-2/13/11[/COLOR][/CENTER]
PurpleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.