AP's 5 Speed WJ Build - Page 52 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > AP's 5 Speed WJ Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #766
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

Looks like a **** ton of work!

SplitNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #767
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Haha definately more than I was expecting when I started, but when isn't it? It's all about how it turns out right? :P if it ever gets done...Crunch time!
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #768
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

How much did you lift your rocker panels when you cut out the rockers?

And you cut up the doors too right?
Unread 08-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #769
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Yep! I don't know how much actual clearance I gained, but I ended up cutting out the entire rocker and like 1.5" out of the doors
Unread 08-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #770
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Dang, I really like how high your rockers are. I have so much I want to do, but not enough tools.
Unread 08-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #771
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Raising my rockers that high has made SUCH a difference, even for overall trail comfort as I don't hit them nearly as often, not as much jarring action throughout a day.

I put in a pretty good day of work today, but wrapping up early because I'm volunteering at a race shop with some cool super experienced guys and BADASS technology I'll get to learn and possibly play with .

I welded the nuts into the new structure, and welded tabs to the headlight bar to create the hinge I was talking about. I have the whole headlight bar rotated up here, you can see the tab.

From the bottom, you can see I have it propped outward by the old support bar hah. I've still gotta add the 3rd mounting location to make accurate adjustments possible

I did most of the finish welding on the front bar and side plates, the passenger side frame rail is plated back in, the front structure is welded in and I'm doing mock up for the first bar of the real engine cage. The long square will become a nice foot dropping down to the frame rail. Where the square tube will meet the round is near a flange I put in to keep the engine easily removeable. Anyways that joint will eventually have another bar added running rearward to what will be my "dash bar" which will be located inside the cowl running from one side to the other.
Unread 08-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #772
-Shoey-
2003 KJ Liberty 

Holy bejesus man. Great work.
USN Jeep Club #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Fuzz View Post
On a 1-10 scale, I give it.... Tits.
-Shoey- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #773
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Hahahaha thanks!

So...I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon for a Fordyce wheeling trip...I gotta get this thing all buttoned up

I have the front engine cage bar built, and landing on some 1/8" pads on the fenders. Just gotta final weld it and it'll be good!

And I've got my uprights cut out, just need to clean them up a little with a grinder and get 'em welded in!

Still on the to do list:
-Make upper rad mount
-Eliminate melted connector in fan wiring, giving WAY too much resistance.
-Make turnbuckle device for headlights
-Reassemble drivers side fender/engine bay components
-Mount hood latch
-....I know theres more
Unread 08-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #774
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Awesome as always man.
Unread 08-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #775
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

I think it's comin out pretty damn well!

I finish welded the engine bar in place, got the uprights in, and i've been working on the upper rad mounts for a while now. They're almost done, just about ready to have the finish welding done, and I can call all the structuring finished!

The radiator mounts also serve to tie the two structures together so they worth together in strength.

Once I finish welding these up, I can start putting my engine compartment back together. I'm not sure I'll have a real hood latch by tomorrow afternoon when I'm leaving...we'll see!
Unread 08-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #776
5.9 ANDY
zj tractor

1998 ZJ 

greg. just go with the hood pins like we did on my toyota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_grind View Post
It's threads like this that make me wonder why people lift there jeeps
its comments like this that make me wonder why some people are jerks.

build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...ndard-1056365/
5.9 ANDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 10:08 PM   #777
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Yeah....we'll see. I'm a big fan of keeping things like that OEM. It keeps everything as simple and easy as it was from the factory, the only thing I need to do is make a mount off my structure for the latch itself. Not even much more work than hood pins in the long run, for awesome versatility
Unread 08-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #778
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Sooooo, I got my jeep driving on friday!!!

Once again I had to scramble to get the jeep ready and driveable (but not 100% complete) for a Fordyce wheeling/camping trip this weekend hehe. I started the jeep for the first time in over a month and with all the new modifications at 7PM friday, got it up to running temp to make sure the fan was kicking in properly and all. After that I threw clothes in a bag, took a shower, bought a little food and hit the road at 9 something that night with a buddy. We hit camp around 11:30pm, and going up 80 I could NOT get my jeep to go over 210 degrees no matter what I did). I dropped into 4th gear going about 50mph up one of the steep grades on I-80 heading up the Sierras (like 7% IIRC?) and pinned the throttle. I held WOT for probably 45 seconds until I hit 75-80mph going uphill and the temp gauge didn't bump at all. I don't know if things are acting better because the radiator is 100% upright and not raked back like it used to, or if that connector on the taurus fan (which I eliminated and soldered the wires together) was so beyond melted my fan wasn't working properly. Either way, all is good! I didn't have time to permenantly mount the grill or hood latch so it's a little ghetto fabulous, but it's going back into the garage to get finished up now.
Didn't have a single issue with any of my modifications all weekend.

And uh...my notorious issue with rear driveshafts reared it's ugly head again LOL. I was near the bottom of winch hill one and put my driveshaft on a rock after bouncing it off a few rocks earlier and weakening it. Luckily I carry 1 bolt in spare, and one spare that only needs a u-joint pressed in so I had it swapped in 15 minutes, and I ran up the winch hill for the first time . I need to build another pinion guard for the rear 3rd (the pinion guard I had is now on the front 3rd member because of my moonrocks gear breakage), and get the 205 in so I can run a CV and get the pinion pointed outta the rocks. Unfortunately both my cameras were dead when I went to leave so I have no pics of the trip
Unread 08-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #779
Cnolenwj

2000 WJ 

Build thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...build-1195835/

North Texas Grands- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f348/...rands-1323367/

Grand Slam Texas- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...texas-1419143/

Grand Slam Texas Group- http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/groups...00000454207551
Cnolenwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #780
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

carnage!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.