AP's 5 Speed WJ Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > AP's 5 Speed WJ Build

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 04-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #16
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

couple things
- you said you were 17 when you first bought it, how old are you now? just wondering
- that front axle looks like its been a PITA for you
- how much were those TREs?
- nice wj

edit: forgot to mention
- nice welds
- you lucky bastard, you know how to set up gears!

My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #17
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

I was 17 when I got it, I'm 21 now. I actually got it as a hand-me-down from my dad, beaten and abused with about 160k on it.

The front axle...yeah...although now the mounts and steering can hold up to quite a beating (and have).

I actually ended up going slightly different than that pic for the TRE's. The very top TRE is an ES2027L. It has the same taper as the others, but slightly larger diameter which I found out my arms had been drilled for. I returned the other 3, and got another 2027 and to ES2026R's to match it. The 2027 and 2026 are high angle TRE's, and actually have more metal attatching the stud part to the knuckle, so I figured stronger. I think they are supposed to be like 40 apeice, but I know people and got em for around 20 apeice.

Thanks about the welds, took a class at my local community college a few years ago, and just been getting more experience as I build =D.

The gears in the 44 was my first attempt at gearing ever, if you take your time and don't skimp they arent hard, it can just be VERY tedious....I'm not sure I'd do it again in anything besides like a ford 9" or yota 8" lol.

Thanks for all the comments guys, i appreciate it!
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #18
JacksonsHole
1999 WJ 

Love the front license plate.

Oh and those bumpers ain't bad either!!
JacksonsHole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2009, 10:34 PM   #19
Redstarlover
2001 WJ 

Great photo's
I want a 44 up front and I'm going to get one now, thanks for the picts
The rear upper shock mount look good, are they holding up, also I like the lower brackets much better design
Thanks for all of your hard work on your WJ, I'm going to steal some of your ideas
Matt
Unread 04-17-2009, 02:42 AM   #20
sadass
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Well, We all make mistakes. , You my friend, defiantly have some skill's, I am going to keep my eye on you. I could learn a thing. or two from you! or 3,4,5,6
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2009, 04:31 AM   #21
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
I was 17 when I got it, I'm 21 now. I actually got it as a hand-me-down from my dad, beaten and abused with about 160k on it.

The front axle...yeah...although now the mounts and steering can hold up to quite a beating (and have).

I actually ended up going slightly different than that pic for the TRE's. The very top TRE is an ES2027L. It has the same taper as the others, but slightly larger diameter which I found out my arms had been drilled for. I returned the other 3, and got another 2027 and to ES2026R's to match it. The 2027 and 2026 are high angle TRE's, and actually have more metal attatching the stud part to the knuckle, so I figured stronger. I think they are supposed to be like 40 apeice, but I know people and got em for around 20 apeice.

Thanks about the welds, took a class at my local community college a few years ago, and just been getting more experience as I build =D.

The gears in the 44 was my first attempt at gearing ever, if you take your time and don't skimp they arent hard, it can just be VERY tedious....I'm not sure I'd do it again in anything besides like a ford 9" or yota 8" lol.

Thanks for all the comments guys, i appreciate it!
how long would you say it took you to get the hang of welding?

i wanna learn to weld and set up gears.. that would be sweet

keep up the good work
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #22
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Thanks again for the comments guys!

Redstar - feel free to take any ideas as I probably took them from someone else =D I havent had it on the road with the new shock mounts yet, I dove right into the bumper after I completed those. I'm going to be putting limiting straps from the lower shock mounts up to the outer bolt on the crossmember (in the middle of the gusset), and the shocks can't compress fully with my bumpstops so it should hold up just fine.

sadass - live and learn eh? Haha I've really found out that its MUCH better and less frustrating to build something right the first time compared to skimping to just get it on the road.

John, mig is REALLY easy to pick up. a little practice and you'll be able to watch your puddle and form the weld how you want, it's fun to learn too!
Unread 04-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #23
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Quote:
John, mig is REALLY easy to pick up. a little practice and you'll be able to watch your puddle and form the weld how you want, it's fun to learn too!
Glad you saw such good results with a welding class. I am taking one in the fall and plan on building a front and rear bumper. The rear one will probably be modeled after yours cause I am sick of dragging it.

I come out to Roseville every year just about, I will have to give you a shout the next time since Sacramento is so close.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #24
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Yeah man, it helps that i had an entertaining teacher haha. Ill be going back sometime for tig welding, but in the one class i took i learned to fluxcore, mig all positions, stick weld in all positions, oxyacetalyne weld, oxyacetalyne cutting, plasma cutting...yeah .

Just let me know when your headin out and we'll do something!
Unread 04-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #25
Greeeeenberg
1997 ZJ 

Dude tig is pretty hard. you need lots of patience and a study hand. Ive done all of them and tig was my favorite just cause of the challenge. Remember dab push dab push. Oh and when you start out the sharper the tip on the tungsten the better so you can get that nice ball at the end.

I had the most fun though with the plasma cutter. I wish I would have bought my jeep sooner so i could have used the computer operated on that i ran for my high school to make me some bumpers.

Michigan Tech Jeepers Member #1
Greeeeenberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2009, 06:46 PM   #26
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Yeah man, it helps that i had an entertaining teacher haha. Ill be going back sometime for tig welding, but in the one class i took i learned to fluxcore, mig all positions, stick weld in all positions, oxyacetalyne weld, oxyacetalyne cutting, plasma cutting...yeah .

Just let me know when your headin out and we'll do something!
Ya, I have been trying to take it for 4 years now and my final semester I get too. I'm excited. Hopefully I will learn that much.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2009, 03:22 AM   #27
theksmith
2003 WJ 

awesome build! got any more picture of how you trimmed and fixed the rear tire-well / fender... did you re-weld the 2 pieces together, or just fold the outside in?
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #28
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Alright finally got some time to get some more work in on the bumper =D Today I just got a little time, but I spent it making the peices for hte other side to match.

It came out really close even on the test fit

The only problem...the drivers side is sticking out further then the passenger side. I havent touched the peices since I cut them, so with a little grinding and shaping I should be able to suck it up to match the other side

VS.

And, as a side note...if I forget to update this build thread I have the detailed bumper build going on here =D
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/wj-rear-bumper-mock-up-build-742283-post6954083/
Unread 04-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #29
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Alright the drivers side finally matches the passenger side! As we speak I'm letting it cool down, I've been doing alot of finish welding with the voltage CRANKED...things have been getting damn hot. Anyways on with the pics!

It's pretty much a boatsided bumper lol.

THIS ***** IS HEAVY!

Underside

Yup, finally getting there =D. All I have to do now is finish up at the front to blend with the fender, and skin the top in 1/8"
Unread 04-20-2009, 07:35 PM   #30
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Well I was moving it around a little for the work I did after that last post, I can lift and move it around without too much of a problem myself, I'd guess as of now probably 100-110lbs...just a guess though. Maybe I'll weigh it sometime.

Anyways for the rest of the day I ground down a little visible weld, and welded/ground some of the intersections for asthetics. The metal I'm working with is a little bit rough so I'm thinking spray on bedliner instead of normal paint to mask the imperfections, besides I think it'll look cool =D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.