AP's 5 Speed WJ Build - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > AP's 5 Speed WJ Build

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-13-2009, 10:01 PM   #136
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Hah thanks guys, I'm going prepared next time. I'm looking at transforming my jeep a bit more over the winter...won't be set up the same next year teehee

Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #137
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Tube buggy?

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2009, 02:02 AM   #138
JFox21
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
Tube buggy?
That'd be sweet.

Sophomore at Santa Clara University
JFox21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #139
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

no tube buggy BS - I'm keeping it full bodied as long as I can fit windows in it . The plans are boat sides with serious material removal, something better in the front (whether it be shafts of a different axle, I don't know) and some different tires. Hmmmmmmmm
Unread 11-14-2009, 01:26 PM   #140
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Upgraded shafts still leave the weak point at the U joints. I think it's time for a D60 and some 37's
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #141
WyoZJ
1994 ZJ 

If you're gonna go D60, might as well skip 37s (a properly built D44 can handle 37s no prob) and go right to 40s
Exo cage??

Front and rear Trailready bumpers, roof rack, IRO Rear long arms, and HD adjustable track bar for sale
WyoZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #142
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Well I was looking at the RCV CV shafts for the 44, they pretty much claim to outlast the R&P. My other option that I've been tinkering with isn't exactly a D60 either, I want to built a 9/60...9" with 60 outers. Then I'd have matching axles front and rear, that'd be nice! I think the 9/60 is going to be the solution, but it's not going to happen for a while haha...$$$$. I'll just get junkyard spare 44 shafts for now.

I don't have my next tire picked out, but the range I'm looking at is between 37 and 40, but I want to keep it radial so that limits things.
Unread 11-15-2009, 12:52 AM   #143
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

WJ, WK, CJ5

Unread 11-15-2009, 11:54 PM   #144
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Haha yeah man I still have some research to do before I dive in, and I want to estimate how much it's going to cost me...I'm afraid to see haha.
Unread 11-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #145
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Sooo....I now have a plasma cutter to use biatches! My brother in law and I split the cost between us, this little machine is a beast! It's chopping up a friends old cherokee, figuring some stuff out for when we get the one hes actually going to build. I'm looking at cutting up as much of a cherokee as needed to fit 35"s with ZERO lift =D. Outer fenders, inner fenders, maybe a little door work. Oh yeah the whole 9 yards...Should be a blasty blast!

The plasma is also going to meet the wj soon...teeheehee

(No, I am NOT buggying it! Full body till the end!)
Unread 11-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #146
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
(No, I am NOT buggying it! Full body till the end!)
Famous last words.

Sears had a huge sale on plasma cutters about a year back. $500 for one and it was actually a pretty nice one. I am still kicking myself for not getting one.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Unread 11-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #147
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

I just don't like the look of backhaved SUV's in general, and its badass seeing built full bodied rigs.

I've still been thinking about front axle options, an idea came into my head a few hours ago that may be relatively cheap, zero loss in ground clearance and a huge strength increase...I'll keep ya posted if I can make it work!
Unread 12-02-2009, 03:57 PM   #148
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

The WJ left the garage for the first time since fordyce today, gunna drive it to school. Got the optima replaced, got some new ujoints and built a new driveshaft out of my old 247 one, and gave it an oil change today. Full synthetic baby.
Unread 12-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #149
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

A few days ago I did this:
Never time to do it right always time to do it again . No I'm not really too pissed though, I didn't have a chance to finish everything I wanted before the fordyce trip so the 9 is out again!

So as I said, right before the trip when I threw everything together I wasnt able to get the ebrake together because the actual lever-bracket that spreads the shoes was hitting the back of the wheel studs. I "fixed" the brake backspacing with a mini 1/4" wheel spacer to sit INSIDE the rotor. This centered the rotor in the caliper but in turn left 1/4" less stud for the lugnuts to seat on and didn't let me do the ebrake - I wasn't happy with that. Heres a thread on pirate dedicated to this brake swap I did:
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...=829063&page=3

One guy over there said get (made) a spacer to space the bearing away from the flange, and have it the same O.D. as the seal surface so the seal still has somewhere to seat. The only limitation is how much machined surface you have left to work with with the bearing retainer. I measured today - perfect 1/4".

I'm going to do the spacer, eliminating the rotor spacer, my wheel stud problem and the ebrake issue.

The other reason I pulled the issue is to add some support to the back of the truss, plate the back of the housing a little, and fix a leaky pinion seal.

Then today....

I LOVE MY PLASMA CUTTER. Holy crap...I just can't understand how I've been able to get along all this time. Building some support for the 9"...it was so easy to make cuts that were actually the shape I wanted them to be haha.

And the plasma's been getting a hardcore workout. It's already chopped up my brother in law's yota, and its been cuttin the **** outta my buddies cherokee for fun

Yeah we're testing the waters for a removeable top that will be resealable when he wants. Of course cage will be coming at the same time. Something BADASS we found, the structure under the sides of the roof near the doors has a huge opening...possibly big enough for a 1.75" tube to run from the A pillars to the hatch.

It's hard to see what I'm talking about, but this pic is taken above the drivers door looking back towards the hatch. If we cut the roofline an inch or two more towards the drip rails it looks like we could slip top rails for a cage into the channel, completely invisible with the body panels on.

Unread 12-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #150
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Got done with my last final this morning, free time finally! Been cleaning up and welding up those supports I made. Right now I'm taking a break before looking at hacking into the bottom for the shave.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.