no tube buggy BS - I'm keeping it full bodied as long as I can fit windows in it . The plans are boat sides with serious material removal, something better in the front (whether it be shafts of a different axle, I don't know) and some different tires. Hmmmmmmmm
Well I was looking at the RCV CV shafts for the 44, they pretty much claim to outlast the R&P. My other option that I've been tinkering with isn't exactly a D60 either, I want to built a 9/60...9" with 60 outers. Then I'd have matching axles front and rear, that'd be nice! I think the 9/60 is going to be the solution, but it's not going to happen for a while haha...$$$$. I'll just get junkyard spare 44 shafts for now.
I don't have my next tire picked out, but the range I'm looking at is between 37 and 40, but I want to keep it radial so that limits things.
Sooo....I now have a plasma cutter to use biatches! My brother in law and I split the cost between us, this little machine is a beast! It's chopping up a friends old cherokee, figuring some stuff out for when we get the one hes actually going to build. I'm looking at cutting up as much of a cherokee as needed to fit 35"s with ZERO lift =D. Outer fenders, inner fenders, maybe a little door work. Oh yeah the whole 9 yards...Should be a blasty blast!
The plasma is also going to meet the wj soon...teeheehee
(No, I am NOT buggying it! Full body till the end!)
I just don't like the look of backhaved SUV's in general, and its badass seeing built full bodied rigs.
I've still been thinking about front axle options, an idea came into my head a few hours ago that may be relatively cheap, zero loss in ground clearance and a huge strength increase...I'll keep ya posted if I can make it work!
The WJ left the garage for the first time since fordyce today, gunna drive it to school. Got the optima replaced, got some new ujoints and built a new driveshaft out of my old 247 one, and gave it an oil change today. Full synthetic baby.
A few days ago I did this:
Never time to do it right always time to do it again . No I'm not really too pissed though, I didn't have a chance to finish everything I wanted before the fordyce trip so the 9 is out again!
So as I said, right before the trip when I threw everything together I wasnt able to get the ebrake together because the actual lever-bracket that spreads the shoes was hitting the back of the wheel studs. I "fixed" the brake backspacing with a mini 1/4" wheel spacer to sit INSIDE the rotor. This centered the rotor in the caliper but in turn left 1/4" less stud for the lugnuts to seat on and didn't let me do the ebrake - I wasn't happy with that. Heres a thread on pirate dedicated to this brake swap I did: http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...=829063&page=3
One guy over there said get (made) a spacer to space the bearing away from the flange, and have it the same O.D. as the seal surface so the seal still has somewhere to seat. The only limitation is how much machined surface you have left to work with with the bearing retainer. I measured today - perfect 1/4".
I'm going to do the spacer, eliminating the rotor spacer, my wheel stud problem and the ebrake issue.
The other reason I pulled the issue is to add some support to the back of the truss, plate the back of the housing a little, and fix a leaky pinion seal.
I LOVE MY PLASMA CUTTER. Holy crap...I just can't understand how I've been able to get along all this time. Building some support for the 9"...it was so easy to make cuts that were actually the shape I wanted them to be haha.
And the plasma's been getting a hardcore workout. It's already chopped up my brother in law's yota, and its been cuttin the **** outta my buddies cherokee for fun
Yeah we're testing the waters for a removeable top that will be resealable when he wants. Of course cage will be coming at the same time. Something BADASS we found, the structure under the sides of the roof near the doors has a huge opening...possibly big enough for a 1.75" tube to run from the A pillars to the hatch.
It's hard to see what I'm talking about, but this pic is taken above the drivers door looking back towards the hatch. If we cut the roofline an inch or two more towards the drip rails it looks like we could slip top rails for a cage into the channel, completely invisible with the body panels on.
Got done with my last final this morning, free time finally! Been cleaning up and welding up those supports I made. Right now I'm taking a break before looking at hacking into the bottom for the shave.