Anyone got anything bad to say about these tires? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Anyone got anything bad to say about these tires?

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 08-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Anyone got anything bad to say about these tires?

I'm a hair away from pulling the trigger.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....l=Grabber+AT+2

($702-70 rebate)= $623 total for 31s -- mounted, balanced, tax, lifetime mounting and balancing. At the best shop in town too. Graybeards work there.

HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
I'm a hair away from pulling the trigger.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....l=Grabber+AT+2

($702-70 rebate)= $623 total for 31s -- mounted, balanced, tax, lifetime mounting and balancing. At the best shop in town too. Graybeards work there.
Buddy of mine had those on his Ram 2500 Cummins, he freakin loved em
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

THere are a lot of poor reviews on tirerack I see.
Unread 08-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

I have them on my ZJ,
I think they are good, and in snow and rain they are much better than bfg all terrain are.
I have had them for about 2 years now and have driven about 70000km with them and it barley shows.
Exept for one tire but thats because the steering took a hit once and i never cared to get it fixed.
Pierre_r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Im probobly going to get these soon. They have good reviews.
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Stud_man50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've wanted these since I noticed I need tires before winter, my father put them on his 99' suburban and they did better then the BFG AT's. Ill be getting a set
Stud_man50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
THere are a lot of poor reviews on tirerack I see.

What choo talkin bout???

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT
Unread 08-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
L_Kilkenny
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre_r View Post
I think they are good, and in snow and rain they much better than bfg all terrain are.
I just love statements like these. First off, the General's are pretty much a knock off to the BFG AT's. If not in actual design than at least in spirit. Second, I've run BFG AT's for a couple decades now and while we can make educated guess's as to which is better in the snow very few are ever gone know the true difference if any. Let alone the General's being "much" better. Not all snow is created equal and I've personally found the BFG AT's to be great snow tires. If the General's are "much" better than my Lord, watch out all you 6' drifts, I'll never get stuck!. Third, I've heard a bunch of internet rumor about the BFG AT's being poor in the rain. Hogwash, from a driver that actually has used them extensively not just read about it on the internet.

Being said, due to pocket book restrictions if I can get the General's for 75-80% of the cost of BFG's I'll probably try them next. I'm not opposed to them and I'm bettin I'll be perfectly satisfied with em. Who know's, maybe even more so then the BFG's.
Unread 08-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Kilkenny View Post
I just love statements like these. First off, the General's are pretty much a knock off to the BFG AT's. If not in actual design than at least in spirit. Second, I've run BFG AT's for a couple decades now and while we can make educated guess's as to which is better in the snow very few are ever gone know the true difference if any. Let alone the General's being "much" better. Not all snow is created equal and I've personally found the BFG AT's to be great snow tires. If the General's are "much" better than my Lord, watch out all you 6' drifts, I'll never get stuck!. Third, I've heard a bunch of internet rumor about the BFG AT's being poor in the rain. Hogwash, from a driver that actually has used them extensively not just read about it on the internet.

Being said, due to pocket book restrictions if I can get the General's for 75-80% of the cost of BFG's I'll probably try them next. I'm not opposed to them and I'm bettin I'll be perfectly satisfied with em. Who know's, maybe even more so then the BFG's.

I ran BFGs twice, the last set had about 40K on them with plenty of tread left but had to get rid of them because they became scary slippery. I'd say the problem started after 30K.. On a chilly/but not icy moist road I nearly went into a spin just manuvering to the exit lane. They were 245/70/16 load range E. Too stiff for comfort once you get some miles on them.
Unread 08-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

I said that because i have BFG all terrain on my XJ and its not fun to drive in the winter, always have to fight it to get it to go where i want
If its rains it will easily drift even with 4x4 engaged, the ZJ with AT2 wont do it, if thats because its a little heavyer i dont know.

One thing the bfg dont have and AT2 has are predrilled holes in them if you want to put studs in them and use it as a winter only tire
Pierre_r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
kodenz
1997 ZJ 

This is just an opinion but the at2s look like they would clean themselves out better. I have no idea if that's true though.
Also all the pavement princess' around here run bfg's
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

I am VERY sattiesfied with my GGAT2's, havent got to try them on snow yet, but anyway i got special Winter shoes for that if needed.
Quite stiff sidewall, so handling thrue curves feels confident and stabil Even at 70 profile.
Very low noise for this type of medium aggressive thread pattern and depth.
Also recomended them to 3 other friends who bought them, never heard a complain.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Thanks for the replies!
Are the sidewalls tough? Can they be aired down a bit?
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #14
turrillas
2004 WJ 

Check the survey results, they are rank 4th on the ALL terrain class!
turrillas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.