Akro's 2001 WJ Build.... - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Akro's 2001 WJ Build....

Jeep Grand Cherokee Exhaust ManifoldsJeep Cherokee Exhaust ManifoldsJeep Wrangler Exhaust Manifold

Unread 01-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #46
orb
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
Why only 30.5's with the lift? Isn't it 3"? What tires are you looking at?
I'm not 100% on 30.5s that but I'll have a talk with the dudes doing the work (http://www.hcp4x4.com/) once I take it in and see what they reccomend and how much lift I actually get.

They are listed at 2" on their site but when I asked if they would give me 3" this was the response "The actual amount of lift varies from one WJ to the next." Here is the link: Old Man Emu 1999-2004 Jeep WJ 2" Lift Kit (Heavy)

What would you suggest for that? I also have the I6 so I don't want to bog that thing down with massive tires. I'm pretty new to this crap so any advice is welcome I am also running the stock 16" timberline rims too so I wasn't sure how big they can go.

orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #47
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orb View Post
I'm not 100% on 30.5s that but I'll have a talk with the dudes doing the work (http://www.hcp4x4.com/) once I take it in and see what they reccomend and how much lift I actually get.

They are listed at 2" on their site but when I asked if they would give me 3" this was the response "The actual amount of lift varies from one WJ to the next." Here is the link: Old Man Emu 1999-2004 Jeep WJ 2" Lift Kit (Heavy)

What would you suggest for that? I also have the I6 so I don't want to bog that thing down with massive tires. I'm pretty new to this crap so any advice is welcome I am also running the stock 16" timberline rims too so I wasn't sure how big they can go.
What's your gearing? I have 3.73 and 30.5" AT's, and it's already bogging down from that. I think that 31's would be a bit more bogged, but at this point, it's a 4.0. You'll get used to it. Regearing to 4.10 would solve a lot.

I wholeheartedly recommend Hankook tires. These that I have are some of the best tires I've ever seen, used, or experienced. I like them even better than GY Wrangler Silent Armors, though I'd have gotten them if the price had been lower. I got the Hankooks because they were quite a bit less. I think it'd have cost another $160 for four tires. Get 31's if you're going to be lifting it though. It's worth it, and if I ever can, I'll do the same.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #48
Akrobatiks
2001 WJ 

Quote:

What are you paying for your lift if you dont mind me asking? The only reason I ask is after looking at the cost of the OME 2" lift on a few websites, you could do a 4" RCX or Zone lift kit and definitely be able run 32"s if you ever wanted to... Just my .02
Akrobatiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #49
orb
2003 WJ 

OME coils and springs + Rancho SS + labor (including alignment) for 1k...

I also don't really want a 4" lift, pretty afraid of the extra height just piling on the problems and adding more headaches later on. I needed new shocks anyways so I figured I'd get some better coils along with it. I don't have the tools or experience to do it myself atm. What I really need is someone nearby that can kinda coach me through this stuff as well as use their tools
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #50
Akrobatiks
2001 WJ 

Quote:
OME coils and springs + Rancho SS + labor (including alignment) for 1k...

I also don't really want a 4" lift, pretty afraid of the extra height just piling on the problems and adding more headaches later on. I needed new shocks anyways so I figured I'd get some better coils along with it. I don't have the tools or experience to do it myself atm. What I really need is someone nearby that can kinda coach me through this stuff as well as use their tools
Thats a pretty good price and I like how your killing two birds with one stone. Plus when you add tires your looking at another stack or two depending if you get wheels to go along with them. Just an fyi when your buying tires... Make sure you get the total price of the tires. There are often a bunch of "hidden" costs that add up. I was expecting to pay around 1400 or 1500 for my wheels and tires and after tax and other fees(mounting and warranty) it ended up being like 2k just for that.
Unread 01-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #51
theskier74
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrobatiks View Post
You got any pics of your ride? Do you ever hit up JHOLE? I love it up there!!! I actually two sets of "stock" wheels that I had on depending on which your referring to. Had these really ugly ones when I bought it(pic with my old ar230 boat), then I swapped those for the 02 laredo stock alloys(pic with the chicago skyline in back) from my moms jeep right before she sold it. Did you buy projector housings with your HID's? I just ordered new CCFL halo housings and a 6K HID kit for mine. Cant wait to get them and throw em in!! Id love to see some photos of yours!!
uhh i believe mine are the 17' alloy...stock with the limited trim. and no i didnt get new housings for my HID's, just threw them in my crappy foggy ones haha
edit:they are the same rims on the Jeep in the boat pic
Unread 01-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #52
Akrobatiks
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskier74 View Post
uhh i believe mine are the 17' alloy...stock with the limited trim. and no i didnt get new housings for my HID's, just threw them in my crappy foggy ones haha
edit:they are the same rims on the Jeep in the boat pic
Had any issues with police or upset people because you blinded them? How are you liking the 8K HID's? Any complaints? BTW I really hated how those wheels looked on my ride... Sucks you dont live closer. Im trying to get rid of my other stock wheels(ones in Chicago photo)... They have some Firestone AT2's and are just sitting around collecting dust so Id love to give them a new home...
Unread 01-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #53
Akrobatiks
2001 WJ 

Adding a 6K HID kit and CCFL projector Halo's this week so I'll be posting some pics and a tutorial after I get installed. Hopefully that will be Thursday this week.... Stay tuned...
Unread 01-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #54
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

I can't wait to see the CCFL halos. I hope they are bright.

SplitNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 01:22 AM   #55
Akrobatiks
2001 WJ 

Here you go guys... Loving the HID's btw!!! They look beast IMO!!!!

Tutorial is on the way once I get a chance...

With the Low Beam 6000K HID's ignited....

Only the Halo's lit up:

Enjoy!!!
Unread 01-14-2011, 02:04 AM   #56
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

nice jeep.

Any more pics of the 71-72 duster (might have been a 73 but i couldnt see if it had the rubber nubs on the bumper)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 02:17 AM   #57
Akrobatiks
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice_Cullen View Post
nice jeep.

Any more pics of the 71-72 duster (might have been a 73 but i couldnt see if it had the rubber nubs on the bumper)
Thanks!!! I dont have any on hand but I could always take some if your really interested...
Unread 01-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #58
orb
2003 WJ 

really like the looks of those lights, very nice. Have you tested out how they are to oncoming traffic? That's one thing I really hate, getting blinding by HIDs

What backspacing are on those wheels?
Unread 01-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #59
Akrobatiks
2001 WJ 

Quote:
really like the looks of those lights, very nice. Have you tested out how they are to oncoming traffic? That's one thing I really hate, getting blinding by HIDs

What backspacing are on those wheels?
yup... The projector housings cut them off at about a 110 degree angle. You can see it in the bottom two photos. If you look out about 40 ft in front you can see where the light comes to a point and forms the angle. as long s cars are in the dark part they are not blinded.... Im really happy about that because I hate being blinded also so I didnt want to be a culprit....
Unread 02-04-2011, 05:37 AM   #60
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

i got a name for your jeep...the easy bake oven

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.