Advice on a parts jeep -
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Advice on a parts jeep

Yeti Paracord Handles are in at JeepHut.comPANDEMIC-USA 50" SINGLE ROW light bars!! **On sale noRough Country Suspensio Get the Best Deals Here...

Unread 09-06-2015, 09:19 PM   #1
1999 WJ 
Advice on a parts jeep

Sorry if this is in the wrong topic. I just need some advice from Jeepers so my brain doesn't over-think on something that is silly.

On 8/25/15 I purchased a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I was given a bill of sale with his and my name on it. He swears he went to the DMV to file for a lost title since he couldn't find it.

He said he ordered one on 8/21/15 and it is now 9/6/15. Already the red flag has gone up for me as I don't think Wisconsin DMV's take this long to send out a lost title.

I asked him today if there was anything yet, even though it is a sunday and with there being a holiday.

He said "Nothing yet"

It was listed as a parts jeep/project.

I bought it for the lowest offer he told me he would take, mostly due to the fact that I had a gut feeling he wouldn't send me a signed title.

I have read up online that you don't need a title if its just a parts vehicle. Which I am okay with that.

But upon closer inspection I noticed this jeep really doesn't have that much rust for its age. A bad knocking motor and an electrical issue that kills the battery in a few hours.

The only reason I want to get a title for this jeep, is incase I were to sell it to someone else or have the scrap yard pick it up.

Can I do that?

In Michigan I have read there are ways to get the title in my name. But since I bought the jeep from wisconsin and it's technically still in his name, I'm not sure what the rules are for that.

Jeep only has 156,235 miles, and a transmission that only has 20k on it. From what the seller told me, no paperwork to prove it. But the transmission mount is loose, looks brand new, pan looks brand new and the transmission oil is clean!

A bill of sale is all I have, the jeep only cost me $550. I just figured with the jeep being somewhat nice...maybe someone else could give it a second chance by putting a motor in it.

I don't think the transmission would work in my 04.

Should I worry about not getting a title if I originally bought it as a parts vehicle?

I know the scrap yard won't take it unless it's in pieces.

Any advice?

If there is no way I can get a title for this jeep, I am completely stripping it down to the last valuable piece I can either use or sell and just bring the rest to the scrap yard.

Thanks for any helpful advice

Here is the Jeep:

GrCherokeeL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2015, 04:52 PM   #2
2002 WJ 
Couple months ago my co-worker blew the trans in his car. He lost the title and needed it to sell it. If I remember right he went to the DMV and 25 bucks later was out the door with a replacement title. I'll double check but i dont think any waiting was involved on his end besides the same dmv crap.
"so i did a full tune up soup to nutts."
4.7 210k+
Jeep32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.