99 WJ build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > 99 WJ build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep parts, deals and more at JeepHut.comTJ BDS 2" suspension lift!! FINALLY a GREAT 2" l

Unread 11-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
BoostCreepLA
1999 WJ 

99 WJ build

I'm newly registered here, but I've been following JeepForum for years. This is my first WJ, but I'm not new to Jeeps.

I had an '01 XJ which I loved. Installed 31's, 3" lift, sliders, etc:

It was was T-boned a few years ago and totaled with a bent frame. I parted it out and got a much larger insurance check than I thought I would, which I used to buy an '06 Hemi QD2 GC.

(Only pic I have of it)

I only had it two months and the starter died, window regulators were failing, and other issues kept popping up. I traded it along with my DD in on a 2013 GC Trailhawk.

Which I had a year, but the 11mpg around Los Angeles was KILLING me, so I sold that and went Jeepless for a year. I finally got the money and space for a new Jeep, so I went on the hunt for a V8 WJ and ended up with this:

I'm not a huge fan of the champagne color as it screams "90's mom-mobile" to me, but I paid $3k for it with 162k miles and it runs extremely well. Only one scratch on the rear quarter panel and the interior is basically mint. It's a 99 Laredo with leather, Quadra-Drive and the 4.7, which was a pretty rare combo considering it had to be special ordered with those options.

It does have the usual cracks on the armrest, but I'm not too worried about that.

First thing I did was ditch the ditch the rock guard thing on the hood and replace the nasty headlights.

Then I found a color matching limited center grill on ebay and swapped out the fake chrome.

It had really badly warped cross-drilled rotors from the previous owner, so I bought Akebono calipers and all new brake parts to fix that.

Original: (these things shook like crazy coming to a stop at any speed.)

Problem fixed with centric rotors and new calipers and pads:

I noticed when doing the brakes that both CV boots were torn, so I ordered replacements and got to work.

Old vs. new:

That was it for "phase 1", which was just getting the Jeep looking and driving better. Oil change, a bit of spit and polish, and general maintenance.

BoostCreepLA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
BoostCreepLA
1999 WJ 

Phase 2 involves getting the Jeep ready for "winter" season in SoCal, which means the occasional trips to Big Bear or Mammoth for snowboarding.

The tires need replacing, but I wanted to go with something bigger than the stock 245/60s it came with. That means a lift!

I chose the IRO 3" lift, along with an upgraded steering stabilizer, new isolators, adjustable track bar, and Bilstein 5100s.

Removing the old isolators. I think everyone should do this regardless of lifting. These things were a wreck. Rear uppers:

Even southern california Jeeps succum to rust due to poor designs from the factory:

Cleaned up a bit and rust converter applied:

Front springs and shocks installed:

Before:

After:

It drives great, except for a new whine I'm getting when decelerating and above 40mph. Of course this Jeep came with the double CV style front drive shaft, and the angle coming out of the transfer case is pretty F'd.

So I ordered a double cardan driveshaft from ebay which arrived today. Now I'm just waiting on the yokes and I can drive my Jeep again.

Other than that, I put some LEDs under my shifter because the stock membrane stopped working. I need to solder in some resistors to reduce the brightness, because it looks like I'm hiding kryptonite in my center console.

Anyway, that's up to date for now. I'm planning on getting some 265/70/r16 Coopers on Black Friday to make this thing ready for snow and finish off this phase of mods.

Next I want to address the faded gray cladding and then get some rock sliders and it'll be good for a while.
Unread 02-26-2015, 06:42 PM   #3
BoostCreepLA
1999 WJ 

I got a lot done in the past months.

Converted to double cardan front DS.

Replaced broken rear view mirror with ebay mirror.

Got new tires (Cooper Adventurer 245/75r16). I went a bit narrow so I can still turn while fully stuffed with discos at 3" lift.

Installed wheel spacers.

Installed new spark plugs, which was very needed. I'm shocked the engine was running as well as it was.

New o2 sensors.

New fuel filter, but no pictures. I went from 9mpg combined to 14.5 combined with the fuel filter swap. That's what a 164k mile, 16 year old fuel filter will do for ya.

Installed a new cabin air filter with correct housing.

This is how the previous owner had it:

Installed a CB radio.

Did some actual off roading with an AAT crew.

Then I got tired of my Jeep looking like every other soccer mom's champagne Grand Cherokee, so I made some visual improvements to give it a bit more character.

Last edited by BoostCreepLA; 02-27-2015 at 09:00 PM..
Unread 02-26-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
BoostCreepLA
1999 WJ 

And that brings me up to date. Now I'm trying to install these JCR sliders, but running into some issues. I've been emailing back and forth with JCR for 3 weeks about this, so hopefully it gets resolved soon.

Sliders arrived with a bent mounting plate. I hammered that back flat and was told I'd be getting a free shirt or something for my troubles. (still waiting on that)

They look pretty huge and beefy held in place with a jack.

But the flanges don't actually reach the unibody frame unfotunately. They are roughly a 1/4" too short on all 4 arms. These pics are with the pinch seam bracket mounted flush to the pinch seam as per JCR's instructions.

I also had to trim metal off the front flanges on both sides for the sliders to even mount flush to the pinch seam at all.

I cut the metal off the left side here so it would sit flush with the frame:

They looked like this before I trimmed metal on both front flanges. The email I got back from JCR told me I had to bend the pinch seam for their WJ sliders to mount properly, which sounds really sketchy to me.

Compared to the AJ's Offroad sliders I had on my XJ (at nearly half the cost, mind you), I'm not very pleased with the design and problems I've been having with these JCR sliders. Hopefully they can help resolve the situation. Unfortunately I've already spent the money on these and am stuck with them.
Unread 02-28-2015, 11:08 AM   #5
mtnhigh
2004 WJ 

I like the TrailHawk look! Hopefully JCR will help you out with those!
mtnhigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2015, 02:33 PM   #6
BoostCreepLA
1999 WJ 

Just installed some RC quick disconnects. Pretty simple, but it'd be nice if I can get one Jeep vendor to send me parts that don't need to be modified.

These should both be the same length. I had to trim the left one to fit.

Down:

Up:

Pretty simple install minus Rough Country's screw up.

Now I just need to get a response from JCR so I can get my sliders installed before a trail run in two weeks. If they don't give me a solution by tomorrow I'm going to ask for a refund and I'll buy sliders from somewhere else.
Unread 03-02-2015, 11:02 PM   #7
MoonyJohn
2004 WJ 

Clean simple build! Love it, keep on wrenchin'
Unread 03-09-2015, 10:56 AM   #8
BoostCreepLA
1999 WJ 

Finally got my sliders installed this weekend.

I scrubbed the hell out of them with soapy water. They were filthy.

2-3 coats of self etching primer.

Rustoleum Hammered as a base coat because I had two cans lying around.

Pass side done.

Rear Pass mount.

Front Pass mount. Notice the extra spacer wedged in there. Not ideal but I think it'll work fine.

Installing the driver side.

Marking holes on the pinch seam. Only one of them was really off! Not too bad considering my track record.

I ended up finishing with Dupli-color bed armor which feels like it won't scrape off getting in and out of the Jeep.

The bottom of the sliders extend about an inch below the bottom of the pinch seam, which makes sense I suppose even though I think it could have been higher.

But you can see it doesn't really affect overall clearance at all.

Overall it took about 2-3 hours to install each side measuring as carefully as possible and drilling 26 holes with my little Black & Decker drill. I broke 3 or 4 smaller drill bits I was using to make pilot holes which was annoying, but at least it's over with. Prep and paint was probably 3 hours or so for all the layers plus cutting the frame mounts to fit. I think they turned out alright.
Unread 03-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #9
MoonyJohn
2004 WJ 

Looks good, always loved those sliders. If I didnt build my own I would buy those.

Jeeps looking bad *** man!
Unread 03-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #10
BoostCreepLA
1999 WJ 

I took a trip to Cleghorn this weekend. The WJ performed great. I only had to take two bypasses because my 30.5" tires were just too small. Grip and ground clearance really wasn't an issue though. Not bad for 3" springs on stock control arms.

I went with 2 TJs, 2 JKs, and an XJ. The black TJ in the below pic managed to hydrolock his 4.0. We got the water out and it fired right up and finished the day. Video:

The sliders work!

This is the perfect lift to tire size ratio. I didn't even remove my wheel well linings. It rubbed like hell, but no damage. I think I might be able to step up to 32" tires if I remove the linings and trim the front and rear bumpers a bit. I don't think I want to go any bigger than that at 3" though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.