98ZJLTD's Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > 98ZJLTD's Build Thread

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 08-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

98ZJLTD's Build Thread

Hey guys Ive been on here for a little over a year now and Ive been talking about starting a build thread for awhile, but have been too lazy to do it until now. Now that Im finally getting started I really wish I would have started this when I first got the Jeep. Oh well what can you do? Anyway, here it goes.....

I picked up my bone stock 98 5.2L Grand Cherokee Limited from my buddy's dads friend and didnt really intend on keeping it for long however I fell in love with her so I decided it was time to start making her mine and start saving some money for a lift. As of now the only pic I can find of her stock is too big for me to upload so ill see if I can find another one later on.

So starts the process of making her mine... I already had an amp and a sub which I kept from my previous ride so I started looking for a new deck to go with them. Im not real sure why I went with a deck that had an LCD touch screen and all that crap in it, however it is kind of cool and does come in handy from time to time since I can watch movies on it. The dash could use some work to make the deck install look a little cleaner but its functional as is and doesnt bother me as bad as I expected it to so Ill probably deal with that once I get the suspension set up proper. The sub box is ugly but it is built solid and is completely air tight. I plan on rebuilding though because this box was built for my 94 Acura Integra, and I also want to carpet the new one with carpet that matches the interior of the Jeep.

20130801_173210.jpg

20130801_173333.jpg

20130801_173357.jpg

98ZJLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

The first "mods" I decided to do were a mesh grill and badge delete. This is kind of a crappy picture but all the ones I took while I was making the grill are too big to upload. If anyone happens to be interested I'd be glad to take some more and go a little more into the process of how I made it.

As for removing the badges, I just used goof off. I soaked the lettering for a little bit and gently peeled them off then used a rag to get any remaining sticky residue off. I'm glad I have a light color paint because there were some scratchs around the lettering so there was a bit of an out line which bugged me so I picked up some Meguires scratch X and that took care of the scratches no problem.
20130804_094520.jpg

My build thread- [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/98zjltds-build-thread-1557637/[/url]
Unread 08-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

This is where she sits as of today. I didn't take any pics of the install process because I was kind of on a time crunch to get it done since I was using a buddys shop and I didn't want it sitting in pieces and in his way for too long. Since installing the IRO 4.5 inch lift I've replaced all of the TRE's and drag link, upper and lower ball joints, lower control arm bushings, the frame side bushings on the track bar (the track bar and the bushings were brand new when I installed the lift), front lower shock mount bushings (these were also brand new), and the steering stabilizer bushings were shot as well so I just threw a new SS in there trying to eliminate death wobble. She's feeling pretty solid at this point, I've only had DW a couple times since replacing all those bushings (haha never thoight I'd be stoked that I only had DW a "couple times"). I'm gonna have my gf take the jeep to a local 4 wheel shop this week for an alignment, I got hopes for that gettin her dialed in because at this point everything up front has been replaced except for the steering box.

Not that anyone really cares lol but this is more for me to be able to look back at and see how far I've come with her and to hopefully provide answers to questions for people that have had some of the same isses I've had along the way so I will attempt to do a better job of taking pics and documenting the projects I do on the zj. If anyone decideds to follow then sweet, I'm always appreciative to receive feed back whether good or bad and new ideas and out looks on the projects I'm doing as I am far from a master mechanic and I am still learning as I go on some things.

My build thread- [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/98zjltds-build-thread-1557637/[/url]
Unread 08-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

The app crashed so here's the pic that was supposed to be attached above.
20130726_113925.jpg

Unread 08-08-2013, 12:18 AM   #5
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

So I guess at this point my built not bought status is questionable, eventhough just about everything I've done up until now has been bolt on and I havnt really "built" anything other than my grill and that was just the stock one I modified with some mesh and some plastidip nothing too crazy.

I was still having issues with death wobble and had hopes that an alignment would do the trick, so, today I had my girlfriend take the ZJ up to a local 4 wheel shop called Crawlertech 4x4 while I was at work. They scoped out the alignment and got it dialed in the best they could with the stock control arms, re torqued everything and fabricated an aluminum bushing for the frame side track bar mount. I was on my second set of polly bushings in less than 2 months and there was still too much play which was part of what was causing my death wobble.

At this point she's death wobble free, however I need to change my front pads and rotors which are just about gone and are causing a little bit of steering wheel shimmy when slowing down, get a new set of tires since these one's are causing some steering wheel shimmy upon acceleration and some lane wandering and appear to have blown out cords. I shoulda known better then to buy these ones anyway, even for $75 they're pretty far gone. And last but not least figure out what's causing my IRO double shear track bar bracket to clunk.
part_1375895047543_img_7669.jpg.jpeg

part_1375895047512_img_7133.jpg.jpeg

Unread 08-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

I'm terrible at updating this as I do things, however the gf is usually giving me a hand and she's better about snapping pics than I am so I do have a few new ones.

I got my 33's mounted and balanced and put on and here's where she sat.

20130816_182502.jpg

Before I went for a test drive I already noticed that I was rubbing at full lock, so it was time to do a little more work on my pinch seams. I initially just started beating them with a hammer because most of what I read on here said that was all you needed, this wasn't entirely true in my case so I pulled out the angle grinder and made some relief cuts in between the welds in the pinch seam so I could get them a little flatter. And here's how they looked before I sprayed them with a little paint.

img_1160.jpg

I did do a little bit of trimming in the wheel wells for a little extra clearence, however I didn't snap any pics because its not really all that noticable, if anyone is interested in seeing what little trimming i did do lemme know and i can snap a couple shots for ya. When I went to take the rear wheels of to make a little bit of work space I ended up having 2 wheel studs break so I looked at both sides and decided to replace any studs that looked like they weren't in real stellar shape. Gettin the old ones out and the new ones in was a bit of a task but I got it done. Went for a test drive and noticed a slice in one of the tread blocks caused by the front bumper so I decided to scrap it atleast for the time being anyway, here's how she looked after I got everything rolling solid.

20130817_193800.jpg

Next day I went to run some errands and heard some squeaking sounds that would go away when I hit the breaks so I figured the pads I put on the day before while making room for the 33's weren't seating properly or something, atleast until I hit a bump and things got worse. Now I had all kinds of squeaks and grinding a clicking sounds coming from the rear end so I limped her back home to take a look. Started taking things apart and wasn't seeing anything that could be wrong until tried to take the passanger side rotor off, once I got it off, this is what fell out.

20130818_141001.jpg

Only thing I can think of is that one of the studs I replaced the day prior caught one of the e brake springs and I just didn't see that it was messed up since the hub was in the way. Either way at this point I decided to go ahead and replace all remaining wheel studs while the e brake shoes were out just so I could avoid the possibility if this happening again in the future. I stacked a few washers on top of each other and sprayed the studs and holes with pb blaster to help press them in. I also used a regular 1/2" nut so that the nut would strip before the stud would if it got to that point

20130818_154225.jpg

20130818_154233.jpg

As of now, she's death wobble free! It does do a little bit of lane wandering which I will be addressing soon, and I do have a little bit of rubbing at full lock, however that will be fixed once I get adjustable lower CA's in there.

Today just for grins I decided to plastidip the front bumper to see what it looked like and it turned out pretty dang good. Ill be stoked to get something rolling with a tubed pre runner bumper with a stinger and winch mount but I can definitely live with it like this for awhile.

20130825_113504.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions on a direction I should head, or anything else please feel free to chime in.

Unread 08-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Looks like you got a good portion of the big stuff done, looks pretty sharp!

Maybe adding a CB radio, driving lights, a fire extinguisher and a tool set?
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
GCjunkie93
1984 CJ7 

^x2. I'd go with a front bumper as far as bigger projects go.
Unread 08-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

Thanks WhiteOut! I've been thinking about a CB, and I definitely want driving lights, I just have to figure out where I want to put them. I hadn't thought about a fire extinguisher though, that's a good idea for sure. I have a tool set that I keep adding to so I can put my expensive tools back in the garage tool box.

GC- I really want to put the bumper at the top of my list but they're so dang expensive, I think I'm gonna hafta wait til I have a few more things taken care of before I start thinkin about spending close to a grand on a bumper.

Unread 08-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Not to toot my own horn, but this was probably one of the better mods I've done. Was about $125 all said and done.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/z...orage-1353517/

Has space for all my tools, first aid kit, all my recovery gear and spares I take on the trail. It's also 100% impossible to get into without the rear hatch open.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

That is stellar. I remember reading through your thread for that a little while back. I do want to make something for the back of mine, I might have to steal some of your ideas as a starting point here soon.

Unread 09-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Like your truck man! On the lift did you go with the basic iro 4.5 lift? Then I guess your adding adjustable short arms later? I'll eventually be lifting mine to something a little more respectable then a bb.

I like the stuff you've done though for sure!

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myusername1674 View Post
Like your truck man! On the lift did you go with the basic iro 4.5 lift? Then I guess your adding adjustable short arms later? I'll eventually be lifting mine to something a little more respectable then a bb.

I like the stuff you've done though for sure!
Thanks man! Yeah its just the basic IRO 4.5 inch kit, and my future plans definitely include adjustable short arms hopefully sooner rather than later. My plan was to start with a BB but I've never had a rig with tires smaller than 33x1250 so I didn't wanna start with this one lol. If I were to do the lift all over again, I would have held off on ordering it til I could afford to do all of the control arms when I installed the lift.

Unread 09-29-2013, 04:11 AM   #14
CareyKimber
1997 ZJ 

Nice Jeep..
image-1234109577.jpg

Kimber ZJ Build
Unread 09-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #15
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyKimber View Post
Nice Jeep..

Kimber ZJ Build
Thanks man, you too! I tried to scope your build, but it didn't take me anywhere. What suspension set up do you have?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.