98zjdaves build up.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > 98zjdaves build up..

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
98zjdave
1998 ZJ 

98zjdaves build up..

First up was a 3" pro comp lift, upgraded with 4" springs. A set of american racing pythons were put on with 31x10.50 pro-comp xterrains.

Also on the list was a K&N intake, flowmaster exhaust, high flow cat,
jet stage I chip, and some mobil 1 synthetic. Didnt notice much, if any gain, but it sure sounded awesome.

Next up was a 2.25" bb with the same 31" x-terrains. I was very happy with how much extra tire room the bb added.

I needed some more tire to fill that extra room, so then came some 32x11.50 bfg all terrains.

Then I got bored and painted the wheels black. Sanded them down, prepped them nicely, threw a few coats of primer, then paint, then some clear on top. Turned out great.

As time went by so did my need for a front bumper cover.

Bumper looked a little plain so I cleaned it up, and resprayed it black.

Next I took it wheeling at my buddies property to check out the 32's and ran it disco'd for the first time. I was very pleased, and loved the amount of front end clearance I had now after removing that cover. This was the last time I wheeled it, as I sold it to a buddy of mine after this....

6 months later buddy changed his mind, said he didnt want it anymore, so I got it back!!

After a long clean, it was time to start modding again.
Next up was an Alpine digital media player with an 8 gig sd card, works awesome.

Also, the past two days it has been given new front brakes, new fuel pump, new battery, a/c recharged, and a new quieter exhaust (flowmaster was so loud). So here it sits now awaiting kevins radiator support, a rear hitch, and some new door speakers.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by 98zjdave; 04-15-2009 at 11:24 AM..
98zjdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

lookin good man. the rims black look way better, hell they might even look good in aluminum. just not chrome

looks like you need to fly to ohio and clean my engine bay. that thing is spotless!
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
98zjdave
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKzj52 View Post
lookin good man. the rims black look way better, hell they might even look good in aluminum. just not chrome

looks like you need to fly to ohio and clean my engine bay. that thing is spotless!
The sad thing is that pic was actually before I cleaned it
Im very particular when it comes to cleaning my engine bays. When I got the jeep back from my friend a couple days ago, it had been 6 months without being cleaned, and he lived on a 3 mile long dirt road. I about died when I opened the hood.
Unread 04-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
daufuskieraised
1996 ZJ 

That engine bay is freakin ridiculous. Mine is really dirty from the previous owner. He took it muddin in georgia clay and never washed it. Causing the ebrake assembly, wheel bearing, axle shaft...etc. to go bad, and leaving basically permenant clay stains in the bay. But hey, the Jeep was free.

Great looking Grand though man.
Magnet antenna
daufuskieraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

mind making a list of what you use to clean ur engine with?
mine could go for a good cleaning:

My Build Thead
Facebook
Unread 04-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
98zjdave
1998 ZJ 

I know there are way better products to clean your motor with compared to what I use, but my methods usually provide amazing results. I wish I could find the after picture that I took once I cleaned it after taking that one.

Products I use:

1 roll paper towels, shop towels, whatever.
spray bottle of water
any old rag, old shirt, something to wipe up the grease/dirt that wont rip or tear like a paper towel.
And the most important cleaner of all, armor all tire foam. YES. That stuff is amazing. Get the kind in the black bottle with the GOLD top on it. It breaks down whatever you spray it on, and I have found it safe to use on everything. It wont leave your plastics "white" like other cleaners do, and it leaves a great shine and the grease/dirt/nasty stuff usually just runs right off.

I usually just buy two cans of that stuff, spray one of the cans on pretty much anything that is filthy, or that you want clean. Let is sit for about 3-5, or until you see all the nasty crap start to run off. Once all the foam is gone, use the paper towels to clean up all the nasties. Once done, whatever is left will be loosened up and can be removed with the spray bottle of water and the old rag or tshirt you have. Once done with that step, spray more armor all on it and you have yourself a spotless, shiny, engine bay. Just make sure before you run your car I always let the armor all dry completely, if not your results may vary as the armor all will most likely get hot and burn off.

p.s. been doing this for about 3 years on my mustangs, jeep, my new mustang, and whatever I have owned. Never had any problems, discoloring of plastics, fires, or anything from this method.
Unread 04-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
98zjdave
1998 ZJ 

Just to show you it works, I bought this 89 mustang 5.0 lx. It was downright FILTHY under the hood. It had a really bad power steering leak so there was fluid, dirt, grease, black stuff on everything in the engine bay. There wasnt one single spot on that motor that wasnt covered in filth. I took the armor all to it with some water and rags, and this is what it ended up looking like a day later.

Our other mustang done the same way...

Unread 04-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
zjBRYCE
1998 ZJ 

Hey man its looking way good! Looks like we have the same jeep! I DIG the color dont you? It goes way good with the black wheels, it was def smart to paint them! I painted the frame piece under the bumper black too.

Something that you might wanna do is paint the grill black too! It may sound like a bad idea but since your are blacking your stuff out it would match and then you wouldnt have the random chrome grill!

Looks way good though. I also stripped the emblems off too because they were silver and kind of threw things off, i love the clean look too. I want to try and find some black emblems or Paint the ones that i removed and put some of them back on.

Bueno Bueno!

Zjs rule!

ps i will try and get some pictures off my grill pm me if you want more info!
Unread 04-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #9
98zjdave
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjBRYCE View Post
Hey man its looking way good! Looks like we have the same jeep! I DIG the color dont you? It goes way good with the black wheels, it was def smart to paint them! I painted the frame piece under the bumper black too.

Something that you might wanna do is paint the grill black too! It may sound like a bad idea but since your are blacking your stuff out it would match and then you wouldnt have the random chrome grill!

Looks way good though. I also stripped the emblems off too because they were silver and kind of threw things off, i love the clean look too. I want to try and find some black emblems or Paint the ones that i removed and put some of them back on.

Bueno Bueno!

Zjs rule!

ps i will try and get some pictures off my grill pm me if you want more info!
Thanks for the good words man, your jeep looks so much like mine its scary. Ill throw ya a pm.
Unread 04-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

hey thanks for the info man. ill definitely give this a try when i have some spare time
My Build Thead
Facebook
Unread 04-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Hey, I've got one of those!

Is yours grey cloth/Infinity system as well?
Unread 04-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #12
daufuskieraised
1996 ZJ 

What control arms do you have?
Magnet antenna
daufuskieraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #13
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

^
the rear lowers almost look aftermarket and the front looks stock.
weird
edit: maybe the front lowers are aftermarket. cant really tell.
My Build Thead
Facebook
Unread 04-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #14
98zjdave
1998 ZJ 

They are the fixed control arms from the pro-comp kit, both front and rear.

You can kinda see em in that pic, nothing special, but they work with no problems as of yet.

And Ihave the infinity system, nothing really left of it now, and I have the black leather interior. Not the nice limited leather, but the SE edition with the heated seats leather. Not as soft and cushion filled.

Last edited by 98zjdave; 04-08-2009 at 12:19 PM..
Unread 04-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #15
98zjdave
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
Hey, I've got one of those!

Is yours grey cloth/Infinity system as well?
Haha sweet! I cant tell from that pic, but are those xterrains on there? If so thats what I had on mine before the bfg's. They are awesome tires, but vibrated the hell out of everything in my jeep!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.