98 zj build in progress - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > 98 zj build in progress

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-21-2014, 12:51 AM   #1
thetomkehoe

My zj is my first jeep and i have no real end plan for it at the moment (which is probably dangerous to my wallet and mental health but oh well) but I figured I would start a thread of it to track progress and have feedback as I go. The truck is a 98 Laredo i6 auto, originally bought it with 112,xxx miles on it for 1100 from some guy in Brooklyn who had no clue what he had. The entire frame was in immaculate condition and it's only flaws were some dings and dents, a couple minor electrical issues, and a random stall issue (which I quickly diagnosed as the PCM being shorted and loosened the screws holding it in place to remedy) These are some pics of it stock before anything was done

Attachment 1105577

Attachment 1105585

First thing I had done to the truck was a little face lift because I was bored, broke, and had some spray paint image-4121957928.jpg Then came the rims and tires, picked up some 31x12.5 super swampers on 16" cragar series 342 black d window rims for 200 bucks from a close friend image-848761775.jpg That's when I realized I made my first mistake in believing that 31x12.5s were going to clear on stock height, so I ordered a 2 inch coil spacer lift and went through all of the fun of installing it at 1 in the morning when it was 30 degrees out image-1992146172.jpg image-4238465759.jpg image-3780234687.jpg image-1195643558.jpg Even with the lift the tires still rubbed hard on the bumper, but It was driveable and I took it out for some fun just to see if it could handle the local trails and snow piles image-1415784229.jpg image-1987527100.jpg image-590504938.jpg Eventually I ended up taking off the front bumper entirely and will probably continue running no bumper until I have the time to fab a new one image-909184248.jpg The last thing that's happened/is happening is while on a local trail I got beyond stuck and realized afterwards that I didn't have any stock tow points (every zj I've seen but mine has two hooks so this sucked), I ended up having to get yanked out by the front axle (yikes I know) and it completely destroyed the stock tie rod, which led me to replace it with the v8 upgrade instead image-4261444024.jpg image-2474685616.jpg I don't have any pictures of the new tie rod installed but will post them as soon as I have the time, and that's officially everything that's happened since I've picked up the truck back in November, I'll post as I go and feedback/tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks - tom

thetomkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.