96 GC problems pullin' my hair out! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > 96 GC problems pullin' my hair out!

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSave 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!

Unread 01-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
MadDog96
2001 WJ 

96 GC problems pullin' my hair out!

I'm new to the forum, so please bear with me. I've got a 96 Grand Cherokee 4.0 that I just can't figure out. This isn't my first one, I've had GCs before now but this one has me stumped! I bought it for a song, running rough, stalling and a few other issues like the door locks working all by themselves going down the road and the alarm stopping the truck from running from time to time. Well, to make a long story shorter, I,ve bypassed the alarm system by taking all the panels off the doors and putting a wire between the harness contacts. Problem solved there. So far I have replaced every engine sensor, T.P.S., M.A.P. A.I.C, Both O2 sensors, got a reman P.C.M. checked for vacuum leaks, cleaned all grounds, all to no avail. The only thing I haven't replaced are the fuel pump and filter. Cat and muffler are new. This process of elimination is costing me dearly. One thing, after running at idle for a few minutes , shut it down, and take the cap off the fuel rail, press the valve and just a dribble comes out. Now I know These have to have 45 to 50 Lbs. to run. Should it retain pressure after shutdown? Have I just guessed my problem?

MadDog96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
dr hook
1996 ZJ 

yep. sounds like fuel pump issues to me.
Unread 01-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
MadDog96
2001 WJ 

drhook, Thanks for confirming my suspicions. There's not much of anything else it could be. Like I said in my previous post, I've had other GCs in the past, and I've never had anything but small issues that didn't take that much to figure out. Of the 4 GCs I've had the '95 was an alarm problem, hence the jerry-rigging of the door switches. My '97, a water pump and belt, My son's '95, fuel pump and crank shaft sensor, my wife's '97 instrument panel lights flickering, all no big deal. I'm sure that since my '96 has 231,000 miles on it all the sensors needed to be replaced anyway, along with the new P.C.M. I've been following this forum for two years just to get an idea about what issues other members are having with their G.C.s. I just joined the forum lately and I'm glad I did! If anybody else has any ideas I would love to hear from you.
Once again , thanks for the reply, Maddog96
MadDog96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.