.:95 ZJ Build: NightCrawler:. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > .:95 ZJ Build: NightCrawler:.

Poison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 03-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

.:95 ZJ Build: NightCrawler:.

Current Status-

-List Of Plans-

Exterior Mods
- IRO F>R Swap Kit
- TreadWright Guard Dog With Kedge Grip in the 31x10.50R15 Flavor. x5 because i have no spare
- Debating a set of 5 Cragar Black V5 Wheels. Everyone has Soft 8's and D windows. CRAGAR Wheels 365-5712 - CRAGAR Series 365 Black V5 Wheel for Jeep® Vehicles with 5x4.5 Bolt Pattern - Quadratec
- New Trackbar, any reccomendations? IRO?
- Custom Front Bumper with Winch Mount, Stinger, and Light Guards
- Rear Bumper with swingout for spare, jerry cans, and water cans. Will also have a special little built in surprise or two. I dont want to give away my plans yet!
- Custom Roof Rack with Hilift and Shovel/Axe Mounts.
- Possible set of ARB air lockers
- Possible regear with lockers
- Hella 500's
- XRC10 Winch

Interior Mods
-CB
-Scanner Mount
- Head Unit
- I think it would be pretty cool to make a laptop stand, and get Terrain Navigator Pro: Maptech Terrain Navigator Pro It comes with a plugin for a USB GPS and it will show your location on the sattelite maps.
- G.E.A.R. Seat covers
- Paint Interior panels, touch ups, etc.

Im into more of the expedition style wheeling, and thats what type of rig im going for.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Beginning of the Build
Well, after my last ZJ kicked the bucket on me, i started searching for another jeep. After searching for three months, going to look at countless jeeps that turned out to be ghetto rigged clunkers, getting scammed, i finally found a ZJ while we were out driving around searching about 4 hours away from home. I saw it sitting off at a little car lot with no plates, so we decided to stop and see.

So, 1400 bucks and three hours later, we finally came home. Its a 95 Limited ZJ, Quadratrac, with a cherry bomb, a replaced 5.2, round fogs on the front.

After we got it home is tarted to find a few problems, other than what we found at the lot.

Whenever i turn sharp, it sounds like somethign is binding. My dad says it sounds liek the 4wheel, but ill have to check it out when it gets a little warmer.

The Gas guage is temperamental The fogs dont work, the radio works pretty good though, the VIC isnt turning on, and the wipers only work on Low and High.

Theres a rats nest of wiring, we tucked it up out of the way for now. It looks like someone tried to put a remote starter in, but we got no remotes with it.

I feel pretty safe with it though, all gauges are reading good, and the original owner is a mechanic that works at the lot we bought it from.

Anyway, Photo op, i got stuck in someones ruts in ice and mud with the bald A/Ts :

Rear Gate is rusted through, i ran aluminum tape in layers across it, and resprayed the gate black for now. Ill have to get a new gate at the junk yard. Tires are my priority though.

Ill have to check out all the wiring, there are also two screws missing for the radio/heater gauge bezel.

Does anyone have any idea what the binding might be caused by?

Any clues to what any of those unplugged wires are? haha...

Comments, suggestions, ideas, and "your an idiot"'s are all appreciated.

Thanks guys! And im so glad to be back in a ZJ!

Last edited by QuadraBeast; 05-13-2010 at 05:30 PM..
QuadraBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
BlackbeastZJ
1995 ZJ 

Finally, another black 95 Limited! Looks just lime mine when I brought it home...

The binding when turning sounds like bad CV joints, seems pretty common on these older ZJ's.

My VIC wouldn't turn on either, ended up replacing it and I haven't had problems since.

Welcome back!!!

[SIZE="1"][B]1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, blacked out
4.0 I6, NP249, D30-D35 with 3.73 gears
LED Interior and gauge lights, Silverstar Ultra's
Tinted tails, Baja fogs, Bedlined bumpers, removed cladding
Iron Rock Offroad 3.5" lift, 15x8 Cragar D Windows, 32" BFG A/T's
Curt trailer hitch, Cobra CB with 4ft RS antenna[/B][/SIZE]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/black-beast-95-zj-build-922921/"][B][SIZE="3"][B]My build Thread[/B][/SIZE][/B][/URL]

[SIZE="2"]Black Jeep Society
Christian Jeep Owners #37[/SIZE][/CENTER]
BlackbeastZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeastZJ View Post
Finally, another black 95 Limited! Looks just lime mine when I brought it home...

The binding when turning sounds like bad CV joints, seems pretty common on these older ZJ's.

My VIC wouldn't turn on either, ended up replacing it and I haven't had problems since.

Welcome back!!!
The binding when turning isnt the CV joints. If it were CV joints he would hear a clicking
/popping sound. The binding you are experiencing is from the transfercase. The VC (viscous coupler) inside your transfercase has gone bad, which is very common on these. You can replace the VC, but most elect to replace the transfercase with a 242 or 231 setup because it is much cheaper. Search around the forum as its been covered 100's of times before.

BTW, Looks like you scored an excellent deal on that Jeep
Greengc4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

Reads 170k, but i was told the engine was replaced. No clue at what mileage it was swapped.

**EDIT** I saw you deleted your post.. Must have seen the pic

So you really think it would be best to replace the whole tcase?

And @ BlackBeast- Ive read your build, It looks good! My builds going to be going slow as well unless i can find a good deal on parts, but thats what searching around is for i guess!
Unread 03-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

Yessir. Its easy to do, and you can find a new tcase for pretty cheap.
Unread 03-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

Would you reccomend switching to the different t-case? I like the quadratrac way better than select trac. But after reading your whole build in the alst hour or two, im going to take your advice haha
Unread 03-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

I would recommend the 242 honestly. I had it in my 97 Limtied and liked it alot. The 2wd option is alot of fun
Unread 03-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

Hmm okay. Ill have to look into that. No more AWD Im debating whether i should get that fixed now, or get tires first, theyre giving me bad vibes. Down past the wear lines haha..

I priced a viscous coupler and chain kit from qtec for my NP231. 620 bucks! Or the coupler alone for 450 i believe.
Unread 03-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraBeast View Post
Hmm okay. Ill have to look into that. No more AWD Im debating whether i should get that fixed now, or get tires first, theyre giving me bad vibes. Down past the wear lines haha..

I priced a viscous coupler and chain kit from qtec for my NP231. 620 bucks! Or the coupler alone for 450 i believe.
Thats why I said replace it with a 242 haha. And btw, with the 242, you still have the AWD option
Unread 03-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #10
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraBeast View Post

You priced it for a 249 not a 231, a 231 doesn't have one.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #11
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

I feel like an idiot. Lol. So you think i should jsut swap it out for the 242 eh? I guess im off to the salvage yard lol... I think im going to get some new shoes for it first. my rear drivers side has a bubble. i just noticed it.
Unread 03-08-2010, 11:15 PM   #12
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

Check out Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market. You can find a 242 for very cheap on there.
Unread 03-09-2010, 04:42 AM   #13
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

Thanks, thatll come in handy. I also found this on the local classified site.

Pennswoods.net Classifieds: JEEP TRANSFERCASES

Maybe i should pick that up while its available.
Unread 03-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

Okay, update on the tcase. How can i be sure that thats the problem? Any other signs? It seems to be doing it after i run it for a little while. Its an on and off thing, but can get pretty bad, It whines and binds really bad when i turn to pull in a parking spot or back out of one, or other sharp turns.

If you guys are pretty sure thats the problem, ill probably just get that transfer case i posted above. Otherwise, ill be getting a set of tires and a few other little things.
Unread 03-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #15
QuadraBeast
1994 ZJ 

Update (Again)

I tried putting it in 4LO again tonight. This is only like the second time or so ive tried it.

When im in 4LO, and switch between drive, neutral, and reverse, it locks in HARD and i mean hard. It damn near gives me whiplash locking in, no joke.

Im thinking ill put the tires on hold a week or so, my dad's buddy has a set of 31" M/T's for 15 inch rims with about half tread that i could pick up cheap for now.

I was wondering,

I was talking to a fellow jeeper, and he said about getting the 231 over the 242 due to it having more availability of SYE kits.

I dont know much about that, im sure you guys do. I found a 242 for 100 bucks out of a cherokee. Im sure i could easily find any transfer case at the local junk yard. Theyre pretty reasonable over there.

Also, since when has wallymart sold hella 500's and 500ff's? I was in looking tonight at random lights, and i saw the two pack of 500's for 60, and then two pack of 500ff's for 70. May have to pick up a set...

CB, Fogs, Antennas, scanner, maybe some driving lights coming soon!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.