'93 ZJ long-term build thread - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-14-2011, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
RekindledAshes
1993 ZJ 

'93 ZJ long-term build thread

In a previous post, I had asked the inpout of the community whether or not *another* ZJ build thread would be welcomed, especially seeing as how this build is a longer term project. The response was yes: therefore, here is another ZJ build thread. Seeing as how this is my first *owned* Jeep, positive commentary/advice/etc is always welcomed.

(Sorry for the URL's, I'm not yet at 50 posts.)

This is how she sat when I brought her home last week:
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...0Jeep/Rear.jpg
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...idequarter.jpg
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...sengerside.jpg

The previous owner had a hell of a stereo in this truck, based on what he left behind when he traded it:
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...tereoleads.jpg
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...rsetDRside.jpg
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...sengerside.jpg

Close up of the 0 guage amp lead:
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...dandground.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...datbattery.jpg

Doubt this is stock. Power moonroof in a '93 ZJ Laredo? At least it works, and doesn't leak.
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...oofcontrol.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-14-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
RekindledAshes
1993 ZJ 

First thing I did was buy 2 new Goodyear Wranglers for the front in the correct size.
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...idenewtire.jpg

Based on feedback, I'll be getting two more for the rear ASAP.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-14-2011, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
RekindledAshes
1993 ZJ 

So, here's the good stuff:

5.2L V8, in rather good condition, given age and mileage (149K). It's the original motor to the truck. Same with tranny, tcase. All shift well, drive well, track good - no unexpected noises. A/C even works. It's a straight truck, minimal to nonexistent rust (for a vehicle that has spent it's life here in the Great Salt Sea, I am quite surprised.) Power windows work, power locks work, rear wipers/defroster works. It's in really good condition. Truck even has dark factory tint on rear windows. No film needed!

The not-so-good:
It's 18 years old. She needs some lovin'. Trim pieces are broken/missing inside, front leather seats are worn (but not cracked!), some lights don't work, the horn doesn't work, and some idiot put Rain-X on the windshield. *throttles idiot*

Rain-X and it's competitors are a menace. Rather than "helping" the wipers, they actually hinder the effectiveness of a wiper in a heavy rain due to the beading. For someone that already has difficulty seeing at night when it rains, adding Rain-X to the mix is like painting the windshield black, dropping them in the 90/94/55 merger in downtown Chicago, and saying "Good Luck!" Getting it off the winshield is time-consuming - a bottle of 91% alcohol and about 3 hours of scrubbing. *throttles idiots again*

Ahem... where was I? Oh... plans. These are the three main, immediate objectives at this point:

1. Stereo installation. That'll be done probably tomorrow or Tuesday. Picking up a very sweet Alpine head unit. Sub, maybe further down the road. After all, I am 37 years old - I have no desire to be booming and cruising the park on a Friday night. However, the door speakers (front and rear) will be replaced with Boston Acoustics as soon as the budget allows. There is no Infinity Gold system in this vehicle (thank the gods).
2. Two new tires for the rear.
3. Headlight replacement. I'll be replacing both headlights - some *other* idiot decided to hold them in place with sheetmetal screws into the housings. Junkyards for these parts - as I need complete assemblies and adjustment screws.
4. Complete fluid changes on the vehicle in preparation for winter, and in good common sense. Oil, coolant, differentials, tranny, tcase. Close inspections of these major components will occur at the same time.

Once those are done, further plans are to (not in any order):
Acquire and install a replacement piece of interior rear hatch trim.
Replace weatherstripping and seals on all doors (I noticed some dryrot today - kill it before it becomes a problem)
Replace rear cargo area carpeting
Replace interior trim bezels with dark-coloured wood. I cannot stand the plastic crap that is there now.
Recover/Changeout interior seating surfaces.
Replace all interior lighting with LED lighting. Add additional LED lighting.
*possibly* replace power moonroof - depends on performance of existing as I own the Jeep.
Class III+ hitch install in rear.
Tow hooks / possible winch install in front.
Upgrade wheels from stock 15x7 to 15x8, in preparation for tire upgrade from 235/75R15 to 31-33's.
Rebuild tcase / vc entirely
Rebuild tranny entirely
Rebuild existing 318 in truck, or possibly replace with Mopar Performance 318 crate motor. Depends on cost/ schedule/etc.
Suspension rebuild and 4" lift.
Relocation of spare tire being inside to outside rear hatch.
Chassis stiffening
Skid plates
Ladder bars for my gf, 'cause she's short.
Other stuff that I haven't really thought of yet.

The long-term goals for the truck are to have something suitable for wheeling in the desert with. We are currently on track to be in the Southwest region within five years. Why? 'cause Chicago winters *expletive expletive expletive are *expletive* *expletive* insane. No-*expletive*-one in their *expletive* right mind should have to *expletive* live through these *expletive* things. We're thinking more expedition-type build, and less rock crawler / baja buggy. Regardless, I'm sure it will be full of interesting formations of expletives, blood, sweat, tears, and money. Stay tuned!

post #4 of 16 Old 08-15-2011, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
RekindledAshes
1993 ZJ 

Picked up and had installed a new Alpine CDE-124SXM from a local shop. They did phenomenal work - I'll grab some pictures when I can. Sounds decent on the craptastic Pioneer 5-1/4 coaxials in the front, and stock 6-1/2" in the rear.

If any of ya'll in the Chicagoland area need work done - give "Soundz Good Chicago" [link: http://www.soundzgoodchicago.com/ ] a shot. Locally owned and operated for the 20+ years, their prices are competitive and their customer service is *superb*. Highly recommended.

Jeep noob stuck in Hell, yearning for the desert.

Proud veteran of the United States Army. Airborne!

Build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreybomb View Post
I can't stand Rain-X. ... Whenever it rained, I felt like I was watching Windows' "Starfield" screen saver.
Member #1 of The "Yes It's Dark Green And Common But Still MY Effin' Jeep" Club.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-15-2011, 08:08 PM
reubenT

mighty nice looking jeep, my 93 grand looks like junk yard material in comparison. (of course bein it was payed for for about the equivalent of one payment on a good one I can't complain) I think the ramp city (http://www.chicagohistoryjournal.com...-its-name.html) is a bad place for a jeep to be. (and people as well) they need to be out where the dirt roads and high mountains live.

I've been through Chicago a lot of times but not much since '95 when my grandmother passed.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-15-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
RekindledAshes
1993 ZJ 

ReubenT, thank you! She's got some really nice lines, and is in rather good condition. I traded my '07 Caliber with issues for the Jeep plus cash, so I came out of the deal better than I went in. That being said, I couldn't agree with you more about the Great Salt Sea here - it's really not fit for long term human survival. The desert and mountains are calling, and I shall soon answer them!

EDIT: Really cool link, thanks for sharing it!

Build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I can't stand Rain-X. ... Whenever it rained, I felt like I was watching Windows' "Starfield" screen saver.
Member #1 of The "Yes It's Dark Green And Common But Still MY Effin' Jeep" Club.

Last edited by RekindledAshes; 08-15-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Adding thanks for the link provided by previous poster
post #7 of 16 Old 08-15-2011, 08:55 PM
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Looks good!

1997 ZJ Laredo
4" Lift
32s
Plenty of lights
post #8 of 16 Old 08-15-2011, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
RekindledAshes
1993 ZJ 

Thanks! I scored a new lower airbox and a couple of interior trim pieces from the junkyard today. They'll be installed tomorrow. Might go back out there and score that overhead console I saw there today, too.

Build thread:

Quote:
post #9 of 16 Old 08-16-2011, 07:19 AM
jeffreybomb
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RekindledAshes View Post
Rain-X and it's competitors are a menace. Rather than "helping" the wipers, they actually hinder the effectiveness of a wiper in a heavy rain due to the beading.
I can't stand Rain-X. I used the liquid additive on my windshield on a former car of mine a while back. Whenever it rained, I felt like I was watching Windows' "Starfield" screen saver. It really hurt my eyes to look through all that crap.

"And the Chicago Cubs win the World Series!"
post #10 of 16 Old 08-16-2011, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
RekindledAshes
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
TRUTH I might just have to sig that...

In other news, changed the oil in the Jeep today. Everything looked good (color, wear, etc). She's been maintained well in that regard. Tranny fluid ... well... it was 2 quarts low. How, I have no bloody clue. No patches under the truck, no leaks. Cleaned all areas thoroughly, and will monitor it closely over the next few weeks.

Differential fluid... . Looked like 6 month old truck stop coffee. Seriously not good. Cleaned up both the front and rear and refilled everything. Transfer case fluid condition was full of fail as well. Inspected, drained, and refilled.

Once all that was done, I took the truck for a short drive. Acceleration, shifting, and general driveline performance was much improved. Now, some food and then a lower airbox install. Pics of said airbox and the stereo after yesterday will be forthcoming.

Build thread:

Quote:

Last edited by RekindledAshes; 08-16-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: minor edit - code booboo
post #11 of 16 Old 08-16-2011, 06:11 PM
jeffreybomb
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RekindledAshes View Post
TRUTH I might just have to sig that...
Hah, thanks.

"And the Chicago Cubs win the World Series!"
post #12 of 16 Old 08-16-2011, 06:17 PM
PurpleZJ
1996 ZJ 

the only good thing about that rain-x is spraying it on light scratches and going over them with a buffer to get the scratches out. other than that i never use it

1996 ZJ- 4.0, AX-15 5SPD/NP242, RE 4.5" lift, 36x12.50x16.5 Goodyear military surplus tires, Longarms/Tri-4 link/one ton axle build/swap in progress, arb bumper, a bunch of other goodies
1995 XJ- 4.0 HO, ax-15(stolen for swap), stock
2001 GMC Sonoma-RIP...
2002 GMC Sierra 1500 ECSB-roadtrip/long haul vehicle
RIP Troy (bigbluezj94) you wont be forgotten

December 2010 GCOTM

5spd ZJ Club Member 001

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Glad you are ok. If you were a cat, you would be down to 8.:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greengc4x4 View Post
Everything looks great, Hellen Keller! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rritch View Post
plastic + Fuel + Ignition = "Bubba wake up this is gonna be good" :rofl:

RIP William Anthony Kolich(DAD)
you were the best father i could have wished for. I'll always miss you
04/28/58-2/13/11
post #13 of 16 Old 08-16-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
RekindledAshes
1993 ZJ 

And the airbox is in. Trucks sounds and idles better now. Things are improving! Now... PICS!
Attached Thumbnails
UP2 - POS Old Airbox.jpg   UP2 - New Lower Airbox.jpg   UP2 - Stereo Installed with hidden Ipod connector.jpg   UP2 - first 3 pieces of woodgrain trim installed.jpg  

Build thread:

Quote:
post #14 of 16 Old 08-26-2011, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
RekindledAshes
1993 ZJ 

Today was a long, *long* day. Got a call early this morning letting me know that all my clearances were back and good, and that I can start work on Monday. This is excellent, mostly because it means I will have more money in the budget to throw at The Green Monster...

To celebrate this wondrous occurrence, I went to the U-Pull-It near the house. Got quite a few necessary parts, ran to the grocery store, and then came home and went to work. Today's damage was:

1. Replaced the broken interior hatch trim with a piece from the JY. Woot!
2. Installed the power door lock switch I scored from the JY. I can now lock my doors from the driver's side!! I should point out that my fiancee is quite happy about this, because she won't hear "Did you lock it honey?" as she closed the door anymore...
3. Replaced the broken *** ghetto job someone did for the center interior roof light. I may have used a Niner part for that...
4. Installed the new OEM headlamp adjustments bolts I ordered, and remounted my driver's side headlamp *correctly*. It is no longer held in by sheet metal screws through the radiator support.
5. While I had the driver's side door panel off, I remounted the power window switch correctly. It is now secured with the proper screws into the posts on the inner door panel from BEHIND, rather than with two self-tappers through the FRONT of the panel. *grumbles something about idiots who shouldn't be allowed near a screwdriver, let alone power tools and a Jeep*
6. Secured a promise with the JY that the Niner's hood will be mine. Assuming the guy that ordered it didn't come in to pay for it... I expect I'll get a call tomorrow saying it's mine.
7. Helped a guy in JY remove the front driver's spindle from a '94 ZJ Limited. He was grateful.
8. Took a Flexeral and passed out. Well... technically that isn't done yet, but give me 2 minutes, and it will be.

Will take some pics tomorrow or Sunday, and post 'em up.

Build thread:

Quote:
post #15 of 16 Old 08-28-2011, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
RekindledAshes
1993 ZJ 

I've been thinking about something for a couple of days - I know where a Niner is. It's obviously dead - and I *really* like it's interior. I may have to acquire it... and install it in The Green Monster. Seats, interior doors, center console, carpet. I think my steering wheel will work, no need to swap it out. The dash though.... that makes me wonder. '98 complete 5.9 Limited dash to a '93? Will it fit? ... measurements are needed, me thinks.

Build thread:

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.