93 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > 93 Grand Cherokee

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Midwesteeze
1993 ZJ 

93 Grand Cherokee

Hello all,
this is my first Jeep and second 4x4 vehicle. I normally drive the exact oppisite of these. (extremely low Volkswagens) but after a big snowstorm left me stranded I decided to get something that could get me around and be fun all year long.
My first 4x4 was a 87 4Runner with a solid axle swap and a few other goodies.
I hope I don't get flammed off the bat for saying that was one of my favorites

Anyway onto the Jeep

Specs
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
4.0 I6
5.5" Long Arm Kit
SS Lines up front
8.8 Ford rearend with Posi
Rear disk conversion
Bilstein 5100 Offroad Racing Shocks
Upgraded Steering/Heim Joints
Hanson Offroad front bumper (had a winch, but the PO wanted to keep it)
15x8 Mickey Thomson Rims
33x12.5 meats

the dirty pictures make it look kinda rough, but should make a pretty decent driver for being mostly a trail rig

I played in the mud before I took these, lol
(my swaybar links are unhooked here)

rearend

My first fix, bad fuel pump.
this was quite the task since I was working by myself and I had a half tank of gas..

Midwesteeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Midwesteeze
1993 ZJ 

one of the first things I did to help clean it up was to remove the front bumper and have it blasted and PC'd
was a free perk of my job
just some pics of the removal. Pretty nice bumper with built in skid plate and radiator support

after I got it back and reinstalled

next purchase will be a winch
I did also notice that it doesn't want to stop very well (everythings working properly) What are some good options for brake upgrades for these?

thanks for the help and I apologize in advance for my newness
Unread 03-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

I think there is a way to convert the rear drums to disks, that might help a good bit. Get some good quality rotors and ceramic pads, or go with a Vanco brake upgrade. I also read that Kolak offers ZJ brake upgrades, PM him.

That's a fine lookin Jeep! Looks really great.
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
JeepBeats96JGC
1996 ZJ 

You sure thats a 93? unless the PO went through the trouble of changing the cladding and front header/grill it looks like a 96-98. any pictures of the interior? lol
JeepBeats96JGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Tankmeister
1993 ZJ 

Looks a lot bigger than 5.5 inches lol or i could just have the dream eye-sight since mine sits at 4
1993 ZJ "Halftrack" - 4.0 with 4" Rough Country Lift and 31x10.50xR15 General Grabber AT^2's, Custom Limb Risers, Bumper Lights, Rubicon Express Double Shear Track-Bar, Rancho Steering Stabilizer, Crown HD steering setup, Black Widow roof basket.
Tankmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 03:24 AM   #6
Midwesteeze
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander21510 View Post
I think there is a way to convert the rear drums to disks, that might help a good bit. Get some good quality rotors and ceramic pads, or go with a Vanco brake upgrade. I also read that Kolak offers ZJ brake upgrades, PM him.

That's a fine lookin Jeep! Looks really great.
The rear has been converted already, I'm going to look into some better rotors and pads.
and Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepBeats96JGC View Post
You sure thats a 93? unless the PO went through the trouble of changing the cladding and front header/grill it looks like a 96-98. any pictures of the interior? lol
Hm, never noticed..It does have new "aftermarket" headlights
maybe it's the lights and the bug deflector thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankmeister View Post
Looks a lot bigger than 5.5 inches lol or i could just have the dream eye-sight since mine sits at 4
Fenders are trimmed up abit...
Unread 03-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Best ways to tell what year it is are the interior and weather it has an OBD2 port. Interior is entirely different post 96. Otherwise decode the vin number. I'm starting to think its a 96, especially if it has rear disks already as from what I understand the conversion is a pain in the ***..
Unread 03-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
RedGuru
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander21510 View Post
Best ways to tell what year it is are the interior and weather it has an OBD2 port. Interior is entirely different post 96. Otherwise decode the vin number. I'm starting to think its a 96, especially if it has rear disks already as from what I understand the conversion is a pain in the ***..
I have rear discs standard in my 1995 Laredo
RedGuru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGuru View Post

I have rear discs standard in my 1995 Laredo
Me too. They were standard starting in 95. 93-94 had drums
Unread 03-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

the 'Vanco big brake kit' is the best braking upgrade, but it costs a lot.

Rig looks good man. You could definitely fit 35s too.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Nice Hansen bumper. The grill is definitely 96+ but the fuel pump looks older. The charcoal canister hangs down like the 93-95. Does the rear hatch have flip up glass? It looks taller than 5.5".
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
Midwesteeze
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug View Post
the 'Vanco big brake kit' is the best braking upgrade, but it costs a lot.

Rig looks good man. You could definitely fit 35s too.
Yeah, that's abit expensive. I'll start by upgrading pads/rotors...which brings me to my next question.

What do I buy? from searching the Ford 8.8 I see that it came on a number of Ford vehicles..How do I know what Pads/Rotors I will need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Nice Hansen bumper. The grill is definitely 96+ but the fuel pump looks older. The charcoal canister hangs down like the 93-95. Does the rear hatch have flip up glass? It looks taller than 5.5".
Thanks. I think the bumper looks much nicer with fresh PC. I just need to get a winch to fill out the rest. I found a guy locally selling a Smittybilt X20-8 for $375 otherwise I was going to try out one of the Harbor Freight ones.
After some Google searches I can see the slight difference in the grilles, as far as the hatch, it's all one piece.

I was parked next to a buddies XJ with a R/C 6.5 and it sat a hair lower
Unread 03-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #13
dru_b
2008 JK Wrangler 

hey, welcome fellow pkg'er. that mudcoast event got me jonesin for my jeep to be runnin. been doin some workin on it and got it runnin.. parts on order to get it back on 4 wheels. about another 3 weeks she should be golden. we should have an off-road gtg...
[size=3][color=silver]'08 JKUR - bright silver metallic[/color][/size] - auto - 2.5" TF spring : 33" duratracs : TF hd front trac bar : synergy tie rod bar, drag link & rear trac bar : superwinch : [url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/08-jku-rubi-1713162/][color=orange]dru_bcon "build" thread[/color][/url]
[size=2][color=white]'99 WJ limited, 4.7L v8[/size] - stone white clearcoat[/color] - a revival in progress - [url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/99wj-projekt-phoenix-1494105/][color=orange]projekt phoenix build[/color][/url]
[color=silver]'00 VW golf GTI, 1.8t - satin silver metallic[/color] - "silver arrow" - tastefully modded for quick & nimble
[color=blue]'12[url=http://surlybikes.com/bikes/pugsley/][color=blue] surly pugsley[/color][/url] - real blew w/[color=red]red accents[/color][/color] - 1x10 shimano slx, avid BB7 (red cables), marge lite wheels/red rimstrip, red oury grips & pedals
dru_b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Like the Jeep man! Looks fun! I'm guessing its a 6ish lift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesteeze View Post
My first 4x4 was a 87 4Runner with a solid axle swap and a few other goodies.
love old yotas

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Looks like an inch trimmed off the fender maybe. You could measure the center hub to fender lip and subtract that. A stock ZJ measures 18" center cap to fender lip.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.