Back in the day, I worked for Discover Card doing collections in a no longer existent facility of theirs. I was
also an avid smoker & enjoyed my smoke breaks with my friends on the side of the building. This particular side happened to be facing Mepco... which is why I liked that side so much! I loved seeing some of the rigs that hung out at their shop. At the time, I drove a RX-7 and was deep into the underground racing scene, however, I gave respect to a mechanical marvel when respect was due.
Years later, I traded in my low-pro, keep it light & force inducted ways for a lift & heavy everything. I remembered Mepco & asked around as to where I could find them.. apparently they were absorbed my Teraflex.
I knew of Teraflex & was excited to check it out & be part of an exclusive crowd of Jeepers who sport their work! Wow, did I have it coming. So I initially went in to have my alignment done & go over some other mods. Welp, it turned out my adjustable track bar was bent at the threads & tie rods ends on the drag link were shot. Granted, that ***** needed to be replaced if I planned on going in a straight line any time soon. I was given a quote of approx $300 out the door... That included labor, 2x heavy duty tie rod ends & drop bracket to use my stock track bar in lieu of the POS bent Zone TB. Sweet, no problem. An hour goes by & they come back to tell me they wanted to try something they've never done before & add an adjustable track bar for a JK for which they would only charge me $50 extra & write the rest off as R&D. Sweet, no problem. A couple of more hours go by & they are finally finished. Now the fun begins...
The Bill: $610. The work: 2 TRE's, JK adj TB, SS, alignment, balance & labor. Apparently $300 (+$50) out the door was the bait, I took the hook & was gutted for twice as much. There went my roof rack money. Arguing lead no where & I left a wee bit bitter.
A week later I left for Phoenix w/ my band to record a CD. I pull into the back of the studio & I hear this awful cracking & grinding as I turned. I looked around the suspension & couldn't find anything! Hours later, we leave & I'm headed down the 202 & I'm starting to get slight wobbles. Never having a lifted anything before, I have no clue what is going on & just kept praying that Katie would make it the 600 mile trip back to SLC in a few days!
I made it back to SLC safely but the noises were definitely worse. I got into Teraflex asap. Wayne(?) or Dwayne (nice guy, for sure) tells me that the SS is already blown, the TRE on the pitman arm side is loose, & the TB wasn't tightened enough on the adjustable sleeve. WOW... glad I didn't do any wheeling & only made a +1200 mile trip!
I get it all fixed for free & drive off. Despite the great customer service I received from the manager, I was pretty pissed at the work.
A few months later, the SS blows again... I've gone wheeling 2 times at this point & nothing serious. They fix it for free & tell me they've had problems w/ some of the SS's. Great, now just fix it for good!
6/mo later the SS started going out & was leaking. This time Teraflex looks completely different inside & the only person to talk to is behind the customer service desk. He tells me I need to remove the stabilizer myself & bring it in for them to look at & replace, otherwise they would charge me labor... WTF??? What kind of customer service is that?? Anyway, Lucky for that guy, I smashed the piss out of it that weekend wheeling & needed a new one anyway, hahaha.
Fast forward a week after I blew up the SS & I am getting TERRIBLE death wobble. Bought a new SS from Rockauto & DW dies for a little bit, then comes back. I notice the TRE's on the tie rod are looking pretty warn. Replaced them. DW, starts up again & now I'm baffled. The TRE's on the drag link that Teraflex had replaced look
just fine, but I start jostling things around & found they had a TON of play. I talked to Teraflex (bcz these supposedly had a lifetime warranty at the time I bought them) & they tell me there is nothing they will do. So I replaced them myself.
Now I had noticed that the drag
link had been dragging
across the TB mount on the axle side, but didn't think much about it... until. I took comparison photo's of the new TRE & Teraflex's TRE and this is what I got:
This is the right side, steering knuckle to drag link side TRE. Observe the complete contour difference. This is the wrong TRE they put on!!
This is what the Teraflex TRE did to the TB mount. Mind you, this picture SUCKS, but the mount is actually flattened over the bolt holding the TB.. it's the shiny part in the center.
In close, I will apologize for the novel, but I will never buy from Teraflex again. I've always done my own work on my vehicles and this is why.