801DubJay Build Thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > 801DubJay Build Thread

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #46
skullysXJ
2008 JK Wrangler 

Woo hoo! should be fun! You'll have them by the thanksgiving moab trip! I'm excited to weld the sweet looking round bar to the outside of mine So.... You wanna come to pick and pull with me thurs or friday??? I need a zj washer bottle. I won't make it through the winter without washer fluid, and I know you need one too!

~KADE~ kool kid klub #1
08 JKU Rubicon
skullysXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #47
801DubJay
2000 WJ 

Lets do it! Smearing bugs, grime & dirt on the ol' windshield is getting mighty old, haha!
Unread 10-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #48
801DubJay
2000 WJ 

Why I hate Teraflex

Back in the day, I worked for Discover Card doing collections in a no longer existent facility of theirs. I was also an avid smoker & enjoyed my smoke breaks with my friends on the side of the building. This particular side happened to be facing Mepco... which is why I liked that side so much! I loved seeing some of the rigs that hung out at their shop. At the time, I drove a RX-7 and was deep into the underground racing scene, however, I gave respect to a mechanical marvel when respect was due.

Years later, I traded in my low-pro, keep it light & force inducted ways for a lift & heavy everything. I remembered Mepco & asked around as to where I could find them.. apparently they were absorbed my Teraflex.

I knew of Teraflex & was excited to check it out & be part of an exclusive crowd of Jeepers who sport their work! Wow, did I have it coming. So I initially went in to have my alignment done & go over some other mods. Welp, it turned out my adjustable track bar was bent at the threads & tie rods ends on the drag link were shot. Granted, that ***** needed to be replaced if I planned on going in a straight line any time soon. I was given a quote of approx $300 out the door... That included labor, 2x heavy duty tie rod ends & drop bracket to use my stock track bar in lieu of the POS bent Zone TB. Sweet, no problem. An hour goes by & they come back to tell me they wanted to try something they've never done before & add an adjustable track bar for a JK for which they would only charge me $50 extra & write the rest off as R&D. Sweet, no problem. A couple of more hours go by & they are finally finished. Now the fun begins...

The Bill: $610. The work: 2 TRE's, JK adj TB, SS, alignment, balance & labor. Apparently $300 (+$50) out the door was the bait, I took the hook & was gutted for twice as much. There went my roof rack money. Arguing lead no where & I left a wee bit bitter.

A week later I left for Phoenix w/ my band to record a CD. I pull into the back of the studio & I hear this awful cracking & grinding as I turned. I looked around the suspension & couldn't find anything! Hours later, we leave & I'm headed down the 202 & I'm starting to get slight wobbles. Never having a lifted anything before, I have no clue what is going on & just kept praying that Katie would make it the 600 mile trip back to SLC in a few days!

I made it back to SLC safely but the noises were definitely worse. I got into Teraflex asap. Wayne(?) or Dwayne (nice guy, for sure) tells me that the SS is already blown, the TRE on the pitman arm side is loose, & the TB wasn't tightened enough on the adjustable sleeve. WOW... glad I didn't do any wheeling & only made a +1200 mile trip!

I get it all fixed for free & drive off. Despite the great customer service I received from the manager, I was pretty pissed at the work.

A few months later, the SS blows again... I've gone wheeling 2 times at this point & nothing serious. They fix it for free & tell me they've had problems w/ some of the SS's. Great, now just fix it for good!

6/mo later the SS started going out & was leaking. This time Teraflex looks completely different inside & the only person to talk to is behind the customer service desk. He tells me I need to remove the stabilizer myself & bring it in for them to look at & replace, otherwise they would charge me labor... WTF??? What kind of customer service is that?? Anyway, Lucky for that guy, I smashed the piss out of it that weekend wheeling & needed a new one anyway, hahaha.

Fast forward a week after I blew up the SS & I am getting TERRIBLE death wobble. Bought a new SS from Rockauto & DW dies for a little bit, then comes back. I notice the TRE's on the tie rod are looking pretty warn. Replaced them. DW, starts up again & now I'm baffled. The TRE's on the drag link that Teraflex had replaced look just fine, but I start jostling things around & found they had a TON of play. I talked to Teraflex (bcz these supposedly had a lifetime warranty at the time I bought them) & they tell me there is nothing they will do. So I replaced them myself.

Now I had noticed that the drag link had been dragging across the TB mount on the axle side, but didn't think much about it... until. I took comparison photo's of the new TRE & Teraflex's TRE and this is what I got:
This is the right side, steering knuckle to drag link side TRE. Observe the complete contour difference. This is the wrong TRE they put on!!

This is what the Teraflex TRE did to the TB mount. Mind you, this picture SUCKS, but the mount is actually flattened over the bolt holding the TB.. it's the shiny part in the center.

In close, I will apologize for the novel, but I will never buy from Teraflex again. I've always done my own work on my vehicles and this is why.
Unread 10-28-2010, 11:50 PM   #49
techRob
2000 WJ 

I'm intrigued by the rubberized undercoating of your cladding. got any better pics of it? what kind did you use? I've used mar-hyde undercoating on a few parts and it doesn't seem very durable. I've actually been considering using plastidip on mine.

I love the murdered out look. your headlights look great with the black grille. makes me wish my jeep was black. I think you should tint your front windows though.
techRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2010, 12:55 AM   #50
801DubJay
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by techRob View Post
I'm intrigued by the rubberized undercoating of your cladding. got any better pics of it? what kind did you use? I've used mar-hyde undercoating on a few parts and it doesn't seem very durable. I've actually been considering using plastidip on mine.
I used Rust-oleum Undercoating. I've actually had good results from it. As far as durability, I contribute that in part to prep work. I made sure the cladding was absolutely clean, first, then I used a sandable primer specific for use on plastics. The undercoating has adhered great & stood up to as much abuse as paint on metal would. Some has scraped off, but only because it wasn't much of a match between a rock and the sheet metal it was stuck between, stopping the rock, haha. However, the color has lightened up in the sun from black, to not so black. If I could do it all over again, I would go with the plastidip or a bedliner. It is definitely a cheaper solution, though, & a pretty decent bang for the buck. My camera situation sucks at the moment, but I will get pics up asap

Quote:
Originally Posted by techRob View Post
I love the murdered out look. your headlights look great with the black grille. makes me wish my jeep was black. I think you should tint your front windows though.
Thanks dude! Outside of my friends, I'd kinda wondered what people thought of the look
I definitely agree with you on the windows... unfortunately Utah law frowns upon tinted front windows. I can only go as low as 43%, and will eventually get it done. As much as I would like to go darker, I can't... I already get pulled over enough for the illegally tinted tails
Unread 11-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #51
skullysXJ
2008 JK Wrangler 

I got material for you sliderz!!!!
~KADE~ kool kid klub #1
08 JKU Rubicon
Unread 11-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #52
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

Utah JeepCrew #39 | Club Matt #1
December '11 GCOTM | Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
00JGC00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #53
MissKays01WJ
2001 WJ 

Dude thats lame that they pull you over for your tails.. mine are hella dark almost black and I havent got hit for them... yet... but then again im in oregon. Up here they are huge sticklers for tires past the fenders though.

RIG LOOKS AWESOME BTW! I do kinda wish mine was black but ive grown to love the Pat blue. haha

Keep up the good work and i wanna see these sliders!!!
MissKays01WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #54
801DubJay
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKays01WJ View Post
Dude thats lame that they pull you over for your tails.. mine are hella dark almost black and I havent got hit for them... yet... but then again im in oregon. Up here they are huge sticklers for tires past the fenders though.

RIG LOOKS AWESOME BTW! I do kinda wish mine was black but ive grown to love the Pat blue. haha

Keep up the good work and i wanna see these sliders!!!
Yeah, I don't know what the deal is here... I actually have to go to court today for the 2nd time in a month for them, haha. Damn 5-0.

But thanks for the compliment... sliders should be on in the next couple of weeks! Got the brackets all lined up and ready along the frame rails, so it should be a smooth process from here
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #55
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 801DubJay View Post
Yeah, I don't know what the deal is here... I actually have to go to court today for the 2nd time in a month for them, haha. Damn 5-0
Holy crap, again!? What's the total bill so far for those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 801DubJay View Post
But thanks for the compliment... sliders should be on in the next couple of weeks! Got the brackets all lined up and ready along the frame rails, so it should be a smooth process from here
Kade, what a freakin stud. I'm so excited!
December '11 GCOTM | Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
Unread 11-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #56
801DubJay
2000 WJ 

Dude, seriously... fortunately they've been fix-it tickets, in which case I go down the street & borrow Kade's tail lights during lunch, then get the ticket signed off by an officer & no one knows the difference But if you add all the hours I've spent having been pulled over or time wasted going through the shenanigans (Farva?) of going to the courthouses, I'd say I've spent millions. My time is worth a lot to me, hahaha

Kade is a total stud... He is a highly recommended Dub Buddy & I think everyone should have one like him, haha
Unread 11-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #57
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

Maybe we should do an LED hidden brake light mod on your Jeep (like the one I have on my car)
Unread 11-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #58
801DubJay
2000 WJ 

Your Dudeness, I think I like that idea. You being an accessorizer & me being, well, me, together we can make this happen! Haha

I was running a similar idea past Kade this weekend for the sliders... Since the tubing is wide enough, I wanna run some super bright white LED's down the underside, recessed of course.
Unread 11-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #59
skullysXJ
2008 JK Wrangler 

Glad I could help!
~KADE~ kool kid klub #1
08 JKU Rubicon
Unread 11-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #60
801DubJay
2000 WJ 

I got my 3rd tail light ticket in 3 months last night, making it the 6th time I've been pulled over for them... Woohoo!! Time to hit up the ol' ebay for some new ones

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.