801DubJay Build Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > 801DubJay Build Thread

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #31
skullysXJ
2001 WJ 

Do you guys smell that??? I think I smell boatsides! lol!!! jk. I didn't think you got them that good either wow!

~KADE~ kool kid klub #1
08 JKU Rubicon
skullysXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #32
801DubJay
2000 WJ 

Honestly, if I could get boatsides done over a weekend, I would be all over that! But I gotta cool my jets & get bigger tires & LA's before any other huge endeavor... those Thirty-Too-Small's gotta go!!
Unread 10-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #33
clgielin
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 801DubJay View Post
I smashed the hell out of them! Those pics you posted are right where I smashed the right side.. My front end kept sliding to the right. I actually broke off the plastic cladding that lines the rocker panel. It was funny, right before I smashed it, Travis was giving me lines & goes "Hey, would you hate me if you smashed the plastic?" I'm like "Nope", then fives seconds later I slid right onto that rock to the right of me, punched it, & drove off w/o the cladding, haha. Oh well, it looks better w/o it! I have some body damage I'll have to post up
And I felt bad for a minute for just scratching it a little...

2003 WJ 4.7L
Build Thread Here: 2003 WJ
Michigan Tech Jeepers #4
Utah JeepCrew #16
clgielin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #34
801DubJay
2000 WJ 

Haha, yeah, I held back the tears... After adding Utah pin striping & ripping out the antenna all on the same run, earlier this year, I realized that Katie will be a total wheeling rig. I always meticulously maintained my vehicles both inside & out & it took a lot of pride swallowing to let her get beat up. That being said, mechanically she is well looked after
Unread 10-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #35
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 801DubJay View Post
...I realized that Katie will be a total wheeling rig... it took a lot of pride swallowing to let her get beat up.....
Then why get a new fender?
Utah JeepCrew #39 | Club Matt #1
December '11 GCOTM | Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
00JGC00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #36
801DubJay
2000 WJ 

It was a total eye sore! Not too mention the story behind denting it really wasn't all that great... I backed into a car port pole at my ex-girlfriends condo! Hahaha
Unread 10-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #37
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

hahaha fair enough.
Utah JeepCrew #39 | Club Matt #1
December '11 GCOTM | Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
00JGC00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 11:40 PM   #38
801DubJay
2000 WJ 

5.5" IRO Springs

I've rocked a Zone 4" lift since Feb of '09. It was a good lift, but I've out grown it. So now I'm working on putting together a bigger, better lift. I bought 5.5" IRO springs from a friend (Volcom02WJ) and am currently working on piecing together a long arm kit

Here are the new IRO springs in comparison to the Zone springs

Front to Front:

Rear to Rear:

Just for fun... New rear IRO spring compared to the old front Zone spring:

Here is a before & after... She feels like she sits a little higher, but that's probably just a placebo effect, because she doesn't look much taller. Oh well!
Before

After - looks like her butt sits a little higher
Unread 10-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #39
skullysXJ
2001 WJ 

Woo hoo! So what's coming next for the long arm kit??? The long arms?
~KADE~ kool kid klub #1
08 JKU Rubicon
skullysXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #40
801DubJay
2000 WJ 

Hahaha, yes the long arms & shocks.

I did some math & found I spend on average $6 a day on gas, just driving to and from work... Then add wheeling trips & any other driving I have to do & the $$$ adds up quick. Let's put it this way, I've spent $196 in gas since Oct 17... yeah, unfreaking real!!! Sooo, I will be taking the bus as much as possible from now on. I figure that will help expedite the process of buying jeep parts & paying bills
Unread 10-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #41
HaiGuise

Cool thread. I enjoyed reading it.
HaiGuise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #42
801DubJay
2000 WJ 

Quick Disco Front Bumper

Thanks, HaiGuise!

Upon setting up Katie's new front bumper, I modified it so that it would only take two bolts to remove. Granted, the license plate & bracket tripled the amount of effort it takes to remove it, it still comes off fairly quick! Haha

Here's what I did. I took off the license plate & bracket, drilled two holes through the bumper into the frame then added the lag bolts (I should use washers, but I always forget to put them on). That simple. The bumper is held in place (other than by the lag bolts) by one button underneath the bumper & the clips located underneath the headlights do the rest of the work. Put the license plate back on and

Holes in frame (okay, one hole... my screen on my phone/Only camera is broke, so I guessed when I took the pic!! Haha)

Lag bolts in bumper

And voila
Unread 10-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #43
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Nice man, youll love the LA's and the flex. I would rush and get sliders though before anything. I dont know what i would do without them
Unread 10-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #44
801DubJay
2000 WJ 

Front DS Conversion

Upon lifting Katie, I ran into a little snag: Front drive shaft problems.

The Front DS on early model dubs uses a CV type configuration on both the diff & TC side, which is intolerant of a lift of 4".

These pics, borrowed from 00JGC00, show the CV joints at both the diff & TC

I started out by replacing the CV type on TC side to a double cardon, modified by 6 States. According to them & Teraflex, I was okay keeping the CV type left on the diff side, with a 4" lift... Until the boot broke. This is the modified stock DS. This mod was a mere $265

Since the boot broke & no one, not even the stealership, had a replacement boot (unless I wanted to buy a brand new fracking DS), I would have to get creative. Okay, not really... haha. Instead of buying a really expensive aftermarket DS, I researched and found that the U-joint type offered on later dubs was actually quite suitable for lifted dubs aaaannnd was a fraction of the cost. So I bought a D30 yoke w/ straps from a wrecked TJ & used the yoke from my converted DS on the TC & then bought a U-joint style DS from a wrecked 2002 Limited WJ. $107 later I have a working front end again that is completely lift friendly

Here is the working DS & joints to compare to the old ones

Unread 10-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #45
801DubJay
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
Nice man, youll love the LA's and the flex. I would rush and get sliders though before anything. I dont know what i would do without them
Thanks man! I can't WAIT to get those long arms! Yeah, sliders are in the works, for sure... SkullysXJ has put together all the steel we'll (00JGC00, skullysXJ, Volcom02WJ & me) need to fab up our own sliders that look like the Stage II Rock Sliders from JCR I wish I'd had some this past weekend

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.