5.9 Andy's 1 Ton ZJ Build "American Standard" - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > 5.9 Andy's 1 Ton ZJ Build "American Standard"

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 12-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #211
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Yeah actually I have to figure out if there needs to be some proportioning valve work going from discs in the rear to drums!

I'm setting up for a mock install of the rear axle to get the coil buckets lined up and burned in, and the sway bar mounts! I gotta poke through the parts pile and make sure I have brackets for that bad mamma jamma. The housing is going to get machined before I start on the assembly, and that should be happening soon! If I get the rest of the brackets on the 14 bolt and still haven't gotten it machined yet, I'll just move onto the front axle so there's no slow down in progress.

Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #212
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

What's the reasoning behind not going to disc?
Unread 12-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #213
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

cost as of now, last time I talked to Andy about it I think discs might be in the next stage of the build?

The 14B is now hung under the jeep! I'm stopping for the day, but I figure I'll do the brackets over the weekend, and we'll see what else! The machinist hasn't called me about the front axle truss...he's slackin!
Unread 12-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #214
5.9 ANDY
zj tractor

1998 ZJ 

cost, that is the reason that we are not doing disk right now..... not for the cost of just rotors, calipers and brackets.... thats not that bad.... but what about a parking break???

the solution that i like the most is a disk at the out put of the t-case. i have been speaking with jesse at high angle drive line, he dose not have a bracket for my application, so i will be making my own.. it also needs a special output flange, so that will have to be orderd as well.

to be honest, im keeping the drums for now for only 2 reasons, its easy to set up a parking brake, and they are heavy as ****... so its good for COG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_grind View Post
It's threads like this that make me wonder why people lift there jeeps
its comments like this that make me wonder why some people are jerks.

build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...ndard-1056365/
5.9 ANDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #215
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Andy, the Torchmate should be able to help us perfectly with that bracket . You might not even need a new yoke/flange if we can make an adapter from the flange bolt pattern to the rotor bolt pattern!
Unread 12-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #216
5.9 ANDY
zj tractor

1998 ZJ 

****ing awsome!!!!

Quote:

Unread 12-03-2010, 11:47 PM   #217
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Mmmm here is a little more of what I did today!

Unread 12-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #218
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

what coil buckets are you going to use? or are you gunna fab some yourself?
Unread 12-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #219
5.9 ANDY
zj tractor

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc View Post
what coil buckets are you going to use? or are you gunna fab some yourself?
planing on using the ones from tnt customs...
as for how we greg will work on the retainers.... i have no ****ing clue.

Quote:

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #220
lloyd877
2001 WJ 

This build is amazing, I am wondering how AP is going to fab up the dif cover to fit. can't wait to see the finished product.
Unread 12-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #221
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Yup theres actually a coil bucket sitting on the passenger side axle tube in the pics!

Andy, I'll probably do similar to what I did in the front. Put a bolt through the center hole in the coil buckets facing upward, then have a little plate that lays ontop of the first set of coils with a matching bolt hole, crank down a nut on top of both and it sandwiches the coil down to the bucket firmly. No issues with my identical front setup from ballistic at all!

Lloyd, Just a little bending, trimming and grinding...it'll be nice
Unread 12-05-2010, 01:27 AM   #222
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

i just got my ballistic coil buckets and they seem like they shouldnt have a problem. when is the 9 inch going in the front?
Unread 12-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #223
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9 ANDY View Post
cost, that is the reason that we are not doing disk right now..... not for the cost of just rotors, calipers and brackets.... thats not that bad.... but what about a parking break???

the solution that i like the most is a disk at the out put of the t-case. i have been speaking with jesse at high angle drive line, he dose not have a bracket for my application, so i will be making my own.. it also needs a special output flange, so that will have to be orderd as well.

to be honest, im keeping the drums for now for only 2 reasons, its easy to set up a parking brake, and they are heavy as ****... so its good for COG.
1978 caddy eldorado calipers have built in parking brake. all you need is cables. ALL of the disc brake bracket kits out there are designed to work with them or the front 3/4ton chebby calipers(same mounting boss and offsets)

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #224
5.9 ANDY
zj tractor

1998 ZJ 

rat, that is kinda my plan, to use the elderado calipers....but not on the rear axle, im stll going to go for the chebby 3/4 ton... however. there will be an elderado caliper on the drive line to act as a parking brake.... and an additional brake on the hydralic brake system.

i plan on beaging able to stop very well with this combo....
and yes, master cylinders and boosters will be upgraded.

Quote:

Unread 12-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #225
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Andy we might end up needing to do something about your booster/master with that combo, as it's going to require a little extra volume to move everything around.

Well I did a decent amount of work today, short day of school so I could play catchup for the weekend haha.

Front crossmember went in

I started testing absolute maximum uptravel of the 14 bolt with the TnT arms fully shortened. Even with them short I think the axle is back more than stock, so I should be good. There is no chance the shocks will even let it compress this much!

Besides, if you go up that far you have other issues to worry about

Sorry the pic is blurry, but I tacked the coil mounts in place and just set the coils in to see how it looked, segzy! BTW Andy the hole in the center of the spring bucket already has a nut welded in! All I have to do is find the right bolt and we'll have out spring clamps.

Shock mounts were next, they gradually slope down just slightly below the axle tube, trying to get max possible uptravel outta this thing. The rear axle is pretty much done now, only the sway bar mounts left, but that'll be one of the last things to get done.

I also took the wire wheel to all the arms and joints of the front suspension, knocked all the surface rust off getting them ready for paint! I called the machinist today to get on their *** about the front truss, it's frustrating the hell outta me. I told him if he can't get it done SOON (next day or two) I'm going to need to take it back and have someone else do it, and at that point he'd be losing all my future business so lets hope it doesn't get there. I'm just running out of things to do that aren't front axle related heh.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.