Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

5.3, 4l60 zj

58K views 691 replies 54 participants last post by  badbird17x 
#1 ·
So I bought another jeep, it has fnr long arms 36in swampers and no doors. the engine has a hole in the block that leaks oil when I am vertical, so I decided this winter would be a good time for a engine swap. I know its a swear word around here but I am a gm guy, and have completed 2 ls swaps so I am familiar with these engines, and love them. I was looking the other day for a 6.0 for my wife's street rod and found a 5.3 that is all aluminum, around 300hp, without a tune, and flex fuel, which I'm a farmer so this is cool to me. I'm thinking I will get 2 and put one in the zj as well. I've seen other guys do this on the web, but would like your thoughts on the project, and ideas on transfer case options. This zj has a 231 in it now, but I don't see a reason why the gm one wouldn't work

#211 ·
aircruiser said:
I guess it's fair to say you are a GM guy lol
I've been for a long time. About 3 years ago I went all dodge, but couldn't take the ****ty plastic interior and crappy seats. 318s are amazingly tough but replacing mine in the Mutt was a royal pita compared to a gm. I bet I could swap the engine in my avalanche in 4-5 hours, the mutt was a long crappy day.

#212 ·
Its alive. If throttle response is an indication it's going to be fun. Wow

#214 ·
#216 ·
Search 5.3 long arm jeep zj on YouTube.

#218 ·
I tried again. It's up with no views. Wtf

#220 ·

#221 ·
:eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge:

#223 ·
ThAnks guys. I did find I'm going to have to do something with my tcase mount. It's leaking trans fluid bad, with easily 1in thick welds, wtf. Yet all the welding on exhaust pipe I did for coolant tubes and not a single leak.

#228 ·
Tonight I'm going to
Make a shifter linkage and solid shock replacements to drive it on the trailer, bringing it to elite tomorrow to brace the cage more, then hopefully the coilovers show up in time for April 7. I don't think it will be real impressive with solid front suspension lol.

#229 ·
Drove it. 1/4 throttle at 20 on gravel and your sliding sideways. Doesn't sound impressive but the mutt couldn't do that wide open with 31s, bruiser never even down shifted. I weighed it at 4020 with me in it so around 3800-3820, I had a big supper lol. Then I drove it on the trailer. So far no issues, looks like another 20lbs of wire melted into the tc clock fixed that so far. Get it to elite tomorrow and wait for shocks.

#230 ·
Loaded and headed to elite on some really stiff suspension. Finally!!

Attachments

#232 ·
nickpequignot said:
What are you talkin bout. That looks like some real plush suspension. Lol
No body roll. Lol

#234 ·
I drove it a couple blocks to my scale, then back to the trailer. Really wasn't bad with low air 36s going slow.

#235 ·
Actually looking back I've done a lot in a month to go from this, to driving it on the trailer today. Sorry, kinda proud today.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.