Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

5.3, 4l60 zj

58K views 691 replies 54 participants last post by  badbird17x 
#1 ·
So I bought another jeep, it has fnr long arms 36in swampers and no doors. the engine has a hole in the block that leaks oil when I am vertical, so I decided this winter would be a good time for a engine swap. I know its a swear word around here but I am a gm guy, and have completed 2 ls swaps so I am familiar with these engines, and love them. I was looking the other day for a 6.0 for my wife's street rod and found a 5.3 that is all aluminum, around 300hp, without a tune, and flex fuel, which I'm a farmer so this is cool to me. I'm thinking I will get 2 and put one in the zj as well. I've seen other guys do this on the web, but would like your thoughts on the project, and ideas on transfer case options. This zj has a 231 in it now, but I don't see a reason why the gm one wouldn't work

#161 ·
Here you go grant. Is it me or is that nasty looking?

Attachments

#162 ·
Lookin great man. I can't wait to see it running.

#164 ·
Cooling pipe layout. Hot out, cool in, then aluminum cover over both. Also modded the rear into a triangulated 4 link.

Attachments

#165 ·
4 link.

Attachments

#166 ·
Rear is done except brake lines.

Attachments

#168 ·
Thank you sir.

#169 ·
Got a lot finished today. Have to tackle trans, and brakes tomorrow, then I can put the exhaust back on and measure to have driveshafts made. Then I'm down to plating the frame between fnr long arm mounts and finishing the wiring. Should hear it run in a weak when the computer gets back, and drive it when the shafts are done.

Attachments

#170 ·
This is where the limiter straps will kick in. Or full droop

Attachments

#171 ·
Body work

Attachments

#172 ·
Sorted out the front ds issue, ordered a 98 grill to give it that zj look lol. Working on wiring, frame plating, and fixing my transmission issue that I should have Checked when the combo was on the shop floor, sure is nice making a tc bolt to a flywheel when the holes are off and it's already installed. Damn you gm and your everything bolts right up making me cocky and stupid enough to not check. Lol.

#174 ·
Thanks man. Gonna be another all nighter. Weather has me wanting to get in the field but I need this bad boy done first.

#175 ·
Interior view with everything working. Notice the jeep tcase shifter bent and reworked to function as my 241 shifter.

Attachments

#177 ·
pincheburro956 said:
Been meaning to ask u. Is your "inst panel" shock resistant....
I don't know. It's a Garmin, and 2 pro-comp auto meter gauges. It should work.

#179 ·
speedbucket said:
Its not like that things gonna be over 35mph. Make your own driveshafts. You obviously have the skills
They were homemade poorly when I bought it. I don't have any joints to make the front work. After getting this front joint I'll repair it myself, but couldn't get it done with what I have.

#182 ·
speedbucket said:
That's the reason my buddy built his own shafts so he could have the Jeep ujoint at the tcase and Dana 60 yoke at the axles.
Jeep joint was about 3 inches away from working.

#183 ·
speedbucket said:
He used the slip spline and welded some pipe
My rear is perfect, front not so much.

#184 ·
After tonight everything is done enough, most likely never done, but done to the point I'm waiting on the computer, and the coilovers, which should be here. Hoping coilovers show up before the weekend so I can dial all the bs with then in. Should see computer Monday or so, then spend a day at elite helping Jason weld more tubing in the front and this bad boy is gonna tear some **** up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.