Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

5.3, 4l60 zj

58K views 691 replies 54 participants last post by  badbird17x 
#1 ·
So I bought another jeep, it has fnr long arms 36in swampers and no doors. the engine has a hole in the block that leaks oil when I am vertical, so I decided this winter would be a good time for a engine swap. I know its a swear word around here but I am a gm guy, and have completed 2 ls swaps so I am familiar with these engines, and love them. I was looking the other day for a 6.0 for my wife's street rod and found a 5.3 that is all aluminum, around 300hp, without a tune, and flex fuel, which I'm a farmer so this is cool to me. I'm thinking I will get 2 and put one in the zj as well. I've seen other guys do this on the web, but would like your thoughts on the project, and ideas on transfer case options. This zj has a 231 in it now, but I don't see a reason why the gm one wouldn't work

#60 ·
Ecoroute in action.

Attachments

#61 ·
badbird17x said:
Ecoroute in action.
^ thats badass. That beats the hell out of actually having to figure out what to do with the gauges.

#62 ·
It's sweet. $250 data logger, code scanner, gauges, gps. And it's wireless, all bluetooth.

#63 ·
badbird17x said:
It's sweet. $250 data logger, code scanner, gauges, gps. And it's wireless, all bluetooth.
Like a cel code scanner? Man if i had an obd2 zj I'd get one tomorrow.

#64 ·
Yes. I have it in my avalanche. Cel was on because if you remove the gas cap on an 02 gm it turns it on. Hooked this bad boy up, tells the code, with description, and clears it.

This thing is gonna rock for an off-road rigs gauges, gps, diagnostic tool.

#65 ·
If you take the cap off while it's running.

There is like 20-25 different gauges too. You just pick the 5 you want, but if you want a different one, it's only 2 taps away.

#67 ·
Cage pics coming. As soon as my phone stops being a pain.

#68 ·

#69 ·

#70 ·
Dash is coming out now, and Jason put bars down the rear of the rear doors.

#72 ·
Definately. They are just for moving it around now. I'm waiting for foa to reopen after their fire, and to see where the ls winds up.

#74 ·
Thanks.

#75 ·
Engine done. Just waiting on the trans now.

#76 ·
badbird17x said:
Engine done. Just waiting on the trans now.
Second pic is how I made the autometer op gauge work on an ls.

Attachments

#77 ·
The rod

Attachments

#79 ·
No, it needs to be done. Lol. That's actually a photo shop of what it will look like once my wife decides on wheels, and let's me paint the chrome grill gloss black.

#82 ·
It's getting more. That is the beginning.

#83 ·
Wired most of the electrical system.

Attachments

#84 ·
Aluminum 5.3 was a wicked pita to fit into a narrow 39

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.