Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

5.3, 4l60 zj

58K views 691 replies 54 participants last post by  badbird17x 
#1 ·
So I bought another jeep, it has fnr long arms 36in swampers and no doors. the engine has a hole in the block that leaks oil when I am vertical, so I decided this winter would be a good time for a engine swap. I know its a swear word around here but I am a gm guy, and have completed 2 ls swaps so I am familiar with these engines, and love them. I was looking the other day for a 6.0 for my wife's street rod and found a 5.3 that is all aluminum, around 300hp, without a tune, and flex fuel, which I'm a farmer so this is cool to me. I'm thinking I will get 2 and put one in the zj as well. I've seen other guys do this on the web, but would like your thoughts on the project, and ideas on transfer case options. This zj has a 231 in it now, but I don't see a reason why the gm one wouldn't work

#5 ·
I've used jims performance on my last 2 for the electrical end and have nothing but the best of luck with him. I contacted him on these and he will do both wiring harnesses, and tunes in the 350hp range for $1000. I can't say no.

#3 ·
The project truck

#7 ·
YEP it's a crawler. I don't see any problem with this swap, the first one I did was in my 97 crew cab gmc, gave jim my firewall forward harness out of the truck, and the harness for my lq9 6.0, and 4l80e harness. took him a week to get it back to me and thats about how long it took me to fab everything for the engine, in my spare time because this was during harvest. I got the harness put it on, started the truck withe the auto-start, and drove it home. These will be easier swaps as they will be 5 wire hookup, stand alone system.

#6 ·
#10 ·
Also this truck has chromo shafted 44 in the front and a 8.8 in the rear. I snapped a flippin u-joint the other night backing over a car. How do I make it stronger, or do I need a 60 and sell this one

#12 ·
#11 ·
this ones getting a 5.3 too

#13 ·
#16 ·
dpshoup said:
Is that a super bee peeking in that photo?
Superbird

#17 ·
If its never on the interstate forget the spendy electronic controlled 4l60 and use a th400 with a 205. You can blend a chevy 205 with a ford/dodge 205 to get the front output switched over and the first time the tranny takes in water it'll save a thousand bucks on the rebuild. Not to mention the cost difference in performance converters. Good luck

#20 ·
Foundrydude said:
If its never on the interstate forget the spendy electronic controlled 4l60 and use a th400 with a 205. You can blend a chevy 205 with a ford/dodge 205 to get the front output switched over and the first time the tranny takes in water it'll save a thousand bucks on the rebuild. Not to mention the cost difference in performance converters. Good luck
Good idea. My rods 350 should work if its cheap to convert to 4wd

#21 ·
Change of plans. Bought a aluminum 5.3 for the rod, and a 400 HP 6.0 for the crawler. It's gonna break stuff now

#22 ·
Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Attachments

#23 ·
Started the gutting for full cage. Now it's loaded up and headed to elite chassis.

#24 ·
Last three pics are a mock up of how the fenders will be, over the cage of course.

#26 ·
speedbucket said:
yah, cage it for sure, its funny looking at the roofline where the roof has buckled from flexing it
? Lol roof isn't buckled. It has been rolled 3 times though. It's getting a cage for safety, chassis rigidity, and so I can run less bumpstop up front. Plus it will improve approach angle having the steering box being the furthest forward part of the truck

#28 ·
Thanks man.

#29 ·
New motivational speaker. Too bad I have to install the 5.3 in the rod first so I can have the trans out of it to build the king

Attachments

#31 ·
Thanks I think. I'll refrain from the rocket launchers as they will be in the way on the trail

#32 ·
All 3 zjs. Done for the season.

Attachments

#34 ·
speedbucket said:
i was talkin bout this one, the roofline at the b pillar, but rolling would explain it also:2thumbsup:
It's actually just the pic. Looking at the roof and pillar nothing has been tweaked yet. That's all gone now anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.