been getting a lot of vibes up front and most of it went away when i took the front driveshaft out. possibly need a rebuild on that. forgot i had a new u-joint on my old driveshaft, so swapped that in today and put it on the jeep, since i might go riding this weekend. changed the oil today too. and steering wheel is really loose, just had an alignment a month ago...will be going back. and jeep sways a lot..not sure the problem there.
went to Ocala Nat. Forest on sunday for a few hours, camped out, wheeled a bit more in the morning.
got hung up on my front diff. hard to tell but tire is few inches off the ground.
then on the way home hit up 5a, and met some other people from FL4x4 out there, but before that i tried to go around a deep hole and ended up getting stuck on a bunch of roots.
doesn't look like i'm stuck, but my front right tire had no traction and the left rear tire was in the air. connected here.
took 5 different ways to get him out including a swamp buggy
was looking for one jk steel wheel to mount a spare tire to. guy i contacted said $25 for one or $50 for all 5 wheels plus a brand new tire from his JK. couldn't pass it up so i got all 5, keeping one selling the rest.
guy i work with, his family owns a shop and he got me a tcase for a good price. i think its' from an '04, 130k miles, 6 mo. warranty for $160. he's gonna help with the install at his shop. beats paying $400-$600 for a shop to do it.
after that here is my to do list:
rear axle swap
front pinion seal
front axle shaft
so this morning i put the new tcase in, it was from an '02, took us about 2-3 hours first time for all of us. only problem was the connector was a bit different so had to cut the old one off and solder the new one on. tested it out in a ditch and works like never before.
last saturday took the jeep out with another WJ who bought my old 2" lift, his first time out...didn't end well for him though. also met up with a stock 2wd XJ out there who was stuck there for 10+ hours. helped that guy out by jump starting his jeep, but no one had jumper cables, so...
...hey, it worked
i was in 2wd 90% of the time, i used 4low wen it got really deep because i didn't want to take chances getting stuck. had the water half way up my headlights at times.
July 4th went for an easy ride in Ocala NF. found a few nice trails i have never been on.
this one had to turn around, did not have an axe or chainsaw...
this area looked nice to play in but was gated off
all of a sudden on basically flat trail i hear and feel like something in the rear is about to fall off. my whole rear axle twisted backwards cause the a-arm ball joint came out.
the angle on my springs
i ended up wrapping my tow strap and a small ratchet around the a-arm and axle and limping out of there.
drove over 3 miles of small sandy trails (a little off-camber too), that involved me, stopping and hiking up ahead to scout the trails to find the best route out of there. was trying to keep it as flat as possible. i also put it in 4low the whole way so it would be easier on the rear. once i got to the hard dirt forest roads it was about a mile drive to the nearest paved road (driving 6mph) where i met a tow truck.
jeep is currently sitting at a friends house where i am storing my 44a varilok. i ordered a ball joint from rockauto, once that comes in then its time to swap axles.