4Doors Build - The Daddy Jeep - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > 4Doors Build - The Daddy Jeep

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #46
4Doors
1999 WJ 

Quick picture in the Walmart parking lot after having my General Grabber AT2 tires mounted.

Unread 05-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #47
4Doors
1999 WJ 

Fawkes MiniMax

It's here, it's installed, it's beefy, and it's beautiful! This isn't meant to be a technical review, I'll leave that to those who are more knowledgeable about technical things. I just want to show some of my installation photos and give some general thoughts about this incredible piece of equipment.

For starters, I was totally impressed just with the box alone when I saw this on the outside. Sure enough, not only was everything there, but he included more than I expected (wheel well liner retainers, blue Loctite, detailed instructions including bumper removal). Those simple details make a difference.

Proudly made in the USA!

This was my first time removing the front bumper, very simple.

This picture of the driver's side shows the three holes that need to be drilled out, the two in front and then the second one on the left. His instructions make this more than clear.

I was nervous when his instructions said I would need a right angle drill. Lowes has a right angle attachment for $20 but I was able to skip that and reach it with no problems. Just make sure you go slow (max rpm, slow in applying pressure) because the tip can snag the openings and stop the bit.

You also have to hammer down this lip, which was quick and easy. As you lay on the ground under the front to do this, hammer from the side, not from the front.

After drilling, I not only sprayed some paint to stop rust, but I also sprayed some rubberized undercoating inside and out where the brackets would sandwich the frame rail. By installing the brackets with the rubber still wet, it squishes out and makes a great seal. (this picture is of the paint, no undercoating yet)

Brackets finger tight. When I unpacked the brackets I was totally impressed at how thick they are, and the textured powder coat is very well done. Even after torquing all bolts to 120 ft/lbs it did not chip off!

As for the crossmember, this thing is just incredible. I cannot imagine a scenario where it could ever be damaged or fail during use.

I don't intend to ride around with the shackles swinging around, but it looks so great!

I need to paint my bumper again and wished I would have had the time while it was on the ground, but I did take the time to clean up my wheel well trim job and am very happy with how that turned out. I was able to pull the bottom of the liner up with some wire so that it is still in place and functional too.

It took about 1.5 hours from start to finish with no issues along the way. Very easy to install. I found and printed the installation instructions from his website because I've become used to not receiving them, so it was a pleasant surprise that they were included. They are extremely detailed as well and there was never a point that I was confused about how to proceed.

I know it's not a full bumper but I can't help but appreciate that my front end is now much stronger. I realize it is meant for recovery, but this thing could also go in the "armor" category. He is currently working on a bull bar that is actually strong and functional as opposed to the cheap Ebay/Westin/Chinese junk out there, so I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

I am very thorough when thinking my mods through and I'm happy with everything I've done, but this would run neck and neck with the long arms in terms of favorite mods.

Last, but certainly not least, I can't say thank you enough to Kris Fox, owner of Fawkes Offroad. The guy is simply fantastic and was extremely patient with me as I took my time deciding about my purchase. I was under the impression that his operation was a side business but it sure operates like a full time off-road shop and I wouldn't be surprised if he is able to do that someday (or hey, I might be wrong and he might be full-time now). I hope to give him more business in the future.

fmdoffroad.com
Fawkes on FB
JF Vendor Display
Unread 05-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #48
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Haha! I'm glad that it's working out for you and I like the modular design, seems like it makes for an easy install. Now we just need to get a winch in that front receiver!
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #49
4Doors
1999 WJ 

I didn't mention about trimming the lower opening, but I use a rotary tool with a cut-off wheel to make quick work of that type of job. I bought it from Ebay years ago for about $20 and it has been one of the best little tools I own! I still need to do a little finishing work on the opening with some rough sand paper but I recently used my last sheet so that will have to wait. (My vanity forced me to include this line just in case you noticed some rough edges in the picture...)
Unread 05-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #50
4Doors
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Haha! I'm glad that it's working out for you and I like the modular design, seems like it makes for an easy install. Now we just need to get a winch in that front receiver!
Yeah a winch would be great, but that's going to have to wait! I have to have to make a few more deposits into the bank of marital bliss before I make any more withdrawals from the banks of dollars and cents. I've got a Hi Lift now with the winching kit and everything I need for that, and obviously I've got a front recovery point now, so even if it takes a while at least I can get out if I'm alone.
Unread 05-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #51
billyzj
1994 ZJ 

that looks nice
billyzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #52
Fawkes
WJ recovery gear

2000 WJ 

Glad you're happy with the product, 4Doors!

Click to order:
WJ Stand-Alone Shackle Tabs.
WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Kits.

Kris Fox
kfox@fawkesmfg.com
www.fawkesfab.com
Fawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #53
MadMonk
1999 WJ 

I think I've found my next project. That looks awesome.
'99 WJ Limited 4x4, 4.0L, Patriot Blue Metallic, IRO 3" springs, track bar, and rear sway bar links, Doetsch Tech 8000 shocks, Tenneco steering stabilizer, Carolina Driveline double-cardan front drive shaft.
MadMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #54
4Doors
1999 WJ 

Thanks for the kind words! I love it and have already had guys asking about it around town.

In other news, I took the roof rack off and am going to call to see if I can return it Tuesday. After just 2 weeks the screws were rusting, the small places where the powder coat chipped were rusting, and the bolts for the mounting brackets were a bit corroded. I could paint it up and goober more silicone on it than I already did, but it's not worth my time. I figured it would be better to try to return or sell it now instead of waiting for it to get worse. Win some and lose some.

Just after lunch today I went to a hill on our land and used my new Hi Lift jack as a winch to pull it up. I wanted to practice before I was in a real situation, but I also just had to do something with my MiniMax! I pulled up to my huge pile of leaves to give it some resistance and see what it felt like. I know this was just a trial run and it will be harder when I'm sucked into mud but honestly it was not bad at all. After reading what some people wrote I was expecting a lot worse than it was. After a few pulls I got the hang of what I was doing and moved it along pretty quickly. Obviously it's not electric winch fast, but it's a lot faster than walking many miles to the nearest black top. Now that I don't have the option of mounting it to the roof rack I'm thinking of ways to secure it inside. It fits in the back so I'm considering making a shelf/false floor to stash my recovery and other off-road gear in bins underneath, so I might be able to mount it under that somehow. I've always paid attention when those threads come up so I'll dig through some that I saved and start making some sketches.
Unread 05-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #55
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

That sucks that your Rola is not holding up at all. Not a very glowing review of the product. I've seen so many happy customers; that's a real let-down.
Unread 06-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #56
4Doors
1999 WJ 

UOA Results

I sold my Rola basket to my brother-in-law for $100 and he was thrilled to get it. He plans to do a little more work to seal it up and being that his XJ is on 31" tires he was desperate to get the full size spare out of the back. A win for both of us.

On to the real reason for this update, I got my UOA results from Blackstone. I was quite impressed that they called me on the phone to discuss my issues, which are obvious below. Coolant in oil. I knew I had a very slow leak so this confirmed where it was ending up. So now I get to explore my options...

#1 - Pull head, have it checked. If it is bad, replace it. If it is good, replace head gasket.
#1a - If head needs to be replaced, buy from Clearwater Heads and have it ported/polished with a 3 angle valve job.

#2 - Do nothing with current motor, buy a used replacement, build a simple stroker.

I'll probably just do the cheaper #1 since I think my bearings still have plenty of life in them. I pulled some when I did my rear main and oil pump and they looked great, so I don't think the current damage is extensive. I need to research those numbers though and see what guys were getting on motors that definitely were bad, or close to shot.

I'm concerned about the silicon levels though. I do live in a rural area with lots of farming but I keep a clean air filter, so that seems high.

I'm wide open to input and suggestions.

Unread 06-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #57
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Silicon is a normal additive in coolant, especially if you are using the normal green stuff. I don't think it is from an intake leak or an air filter issue, as your insolubles are in spec and there's no sign of upper cylinder wear (you'd see more aluminum and chromium from piston and ring wear).

Definitely just do the head. I know it sucks to get bad news, but at least you got it in the form of a slip of paper and not in the form of spun bearings.
Unread 06-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #58
4Doors
1999 WJ 

Went back and forth about how to fix this thing, whether I wanted to do just the head or go for a rebuild (stroker). We have spent this week in Sarasota FL having our foster daughters tested and diagnosed for Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, and due to the fact that we're now looking at dropping $13K on a therapy dog I decided to just do the head! Ordered my new cylinder head from Clearwater Cylinder Heads today. Went for their new casting as opposed to a rebuilt. He said they would build it Monday and ship it Tuesday. Super nice guy on the phone. I thought about getting one from a junkyard but I could only find them for $200, then I would add another $200 (+/-) to have it rebuilt at my local machine shop and in the end I would still have no warranty on a head with a thinner casting than the one from Clearwater, which also comes with a 5 year warranty. At $513 shipped it was worth the extra $100 or so.
Unread 06-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #59
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

That's actually a pretty decent deal on a brand new head casting + valvetrain.
Unread 06-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #60
4Doors
1999 WJ 

I'm pleased with the deal. It sure didn't give me any heart burn.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.