4Doors Build - The Daddy Jeep - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > 4Doors Build - The Daddy Jeep

Poison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring HarnessZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 05-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #31
4Doors
1999 WJ 

Changed my oil this morning, which always gets me far more excited than it should. I'm an oil change junkie. I collected a sample to get my first ever UOA from Blackstone Labs, so that's definitely something to be excited about.

Thinking about going ahead and ordering a Hi Lift jack along with their offroad kit, which is pretty much just a winching kit. I know most people loathe a Hi Lift for winching but I would just need it for light mud. I've used a come-along for this purpose many times and hate it, so I'm thinking this will be a step up. The Hi Lift Extreme + offroad kit+25' of chain is about $200 on Amazon. I know the argument is to put that towards an electric winch and I've certainly thought about it, but by the time I add a cradle and wiring it would take me around $500 and I won't use it enough to justify that cost. I'd rather put that $300 into tires or a front axle, both of which I need.

Unread 05-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #32
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If you are going that route for mud, do you wheel near trees or something solid? If you are getting stuck in an open area, you may look into a winch anchor or something of that sort. Another option would be to trench in a log perpendicular to your vehicle to pull out from.

Nothing worse than getting stuck with winching equipment yet no where to hook it onto.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #33
4Doors
1999 WJ 

Thanks for the tip! I've definitely thought that one through and have looked at PullPals, but drive either trails in the woods or trails in the swamp and there are plenty of thick trees around. But it's still a possibility that I don't want to ignore, so that's another reason I've leaned toward the Hi Lift since I can jack it and put logs under the wheels.
Unread 05-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #34
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Good thinking. Clearly you are one step ahead! To jack it up, you may want to look into sliders of some sort or another...

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 05-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #35
4Doors
1999 WJ 

Already got them, JCR Stage II.
Unread 05-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #36
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Doors View Post
...Most recently were the JCR Offroad Stage 2 rock sliders...
Yes you do! Haha sorry about that. I was on my phone and going off of memory, which clearly wasn't working very well!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #37
4Doors
1999 WJ 

First tank of fuel with the Rola roof carrier on, 20.4 mpg.
Unread 05-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #38
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Nice! My usual tanks are about 12-13... 15 if I've done some interstate driving. I'd be pleased getting 20 with a rack!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #39
4Doors
1999 WJ 

It was about 75% highway, and I stick with the speed limit. I'm also in flat flat Florida and on street tires. I expect to take a little hit when I go to General Grabber AT2s. I used to get 22-23 on the highway and 20-21 on the interstate, but that was at 2" lift and 30" tires. I also save just a little parasitic drag and weight being 2wd, so it really isn't overly expensive to drive this thing. I got scared a couple summers ago when gas shot up and considered getting another Accord, which was a great car, but I only averaged 25mpg on my last one v/s 17 in the WJ. After doing the math I found I would only save $45-50 a month with the driving I do and thankfully I'm at a point where I can afford to pay that to drive what I want to drive.
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #40
4Doors
1999 WJ 

Ordered my Hi Lift jack, the Hi Lift Off-Road kit, and jack mounts to put it on the roof rack this morning. I've got an Amazon Prime account so I should see that stuff between tomorrow and Wednesday. Gotta check my schedule and see if I can get tires this week. Aside from needing them badly just for daily driving, I think I'm doing some father/son camping next weekend with some friends so I'd really like to be better prepared.
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #41
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

I put 3M tread tape on my slider rails as my little one uses it has a step and they got slippery when wet. Here's a picture.
img_20110527_103051.jpg  
03 Grand Cherokee Limited-White/Agate-4.7HO/QD-OME HD springs-1" spacers-MX6 shocks-OME SS-IRO rear links-255/75/17 BFG muds-JK Moabs-Muffler Delete-Magnaflow Cats x3-V3 Projectors 35w 5000k HID and High/Low harness w/relays-IRO Premium Sliders-SOLID D30 Cover-Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs/3/4" black shackles http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...1/#post9902192
--Enchanted Mountain Off-road Crew--Olean NY
enchantedmountainoffroad@gmail.com
platinum5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #42
4Doors
1999 WJ 

Thanks for the picture, looks great. How long has the tape been on?
Unread 05-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #43
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

Atleast a year! Its held up great.
03 Grand Cherokee Limited-White/Agate-4.7HO/QD-OME HD springs-1" spacers-MX6 shocks-OME SS-IRO rear links-255/75/17 BFG muds-JK Moabs-Muffler Delete-Magnaflow Cats x3-V3 Projectors 35w 5000k HID and High/Low harness w/relays-IRO Premium Sliders-SOLID D30 Cover-Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs/3/4" black shackles http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...1/#post9902192
--Enchanted Mountain Off-road Crew--Olean NY
enchantedmountainoffroad@gmail.com
platinum5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #44
4Doors
1999 WJ 

My Fawkes MiniMax has shipped and should be here Thursday! I'm pretty sure I'll be completely useless from now until the UPS man shows up at my door.
Unread 05-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #45
4Doors
1999 WJ 

Yesterday my Hi Lift mounts, Hi Lift Offroad Kit (for winching), and Hi Lift repair kit came in the mail. Today the actual jack showed up and my General Grabber AT2s came in. Tomorrow morning they get mounted, and Sunday afternoon I head to the woods with my boy and some other father/son duos for a much needed camping trip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.