4Doors Build - The Daddy Jeep - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > 4Doors Build - The Daddy Jeep

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #16
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Doors View Post
I think his mounts look so much cleaner and I've got to think it would be more sturdy and capable than using the factory cross bars.
I'm loving it. You could also take a page from the OEM playbook and make some threaded nut-plates. So you just drill two holes for each bracket and the bolts thread into a piece of 2x1x1/4" thick steel. The bracket + bolt plate sandwich the rail and you're good to go. Of course the holes still invite rust, so give the rails some love with the rattle can.

billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #17
4Doors
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Of course the holes still invite rust, so give the rails some love with the rattle can.
True, I do love painting and then sealing with rubberized undercoating so that should do the trick.
Unread 04-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #18
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

The easier solution (that I just thought of) is to use some model paint and a tiny brush and just paint the holes. Then you don't have to pull the rails off.
Unread 04-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #19
4Doors
1999 WJ 

Wait, when you're talking about the rails, are you referring to the rails already on the WJ or the lower tube rails on the Rola?
Unread 04-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #20
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Roof rails on Jeep.
Unread 04-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #21
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

That's the first I've seen of this alternative way to mount the basket. Darn good idea, especially because of the height saving qualities. Richard, you said your garage door to it's lowest part is 80"? I'm going to check mine when I get home tonight. I was thinking I currently have 10-11" from the garage door to the highest part of my jeep. I am wanting to throw a roof rack on mine but I don't think I want to sacrifice being able to park/work on the jeep in the garage (my upcoming house (garage ) projects for the summer are added insulation, window A/C unit, ceiling fan, and baseboard heaters I pulled out of the house last fall when I remodeled). It would be a shame to have a nice heated/cooled garage and not be able to use it! If height isn't going to be an issue, I'll be looking into either the Rola rack (for price and quality) or custom building one.
Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #22
4Doors
1999 WJ 

My Rola roof rack arrived today! I ordered from ecustomhitch.com for $140 shipped and they called me right away saying it was on backorder and that they would have it May 9. They wanted to know what I wanted to do with it and I said I was good to wait for it, and sure enough it showed up today so they were good to their word. Fantastic customer service!

As for the rack, it got her just when I was loading the family up to leave so I haven't even been able to open it, but I'll get it mounted in the morning. I'm just going to mount it on the factory crossbars to start with and work on brackets later. Pretty excited though.
Unread 05-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #23
4Doors
1999 WJ 

Rola Roof Basket

True to their word, ecustomhitch.com had it shipped out right when they said they would. Again, can't brag enough about their customer service. You have to register for an account before you can see the prices and order, but that is free and totally worth it. My email hasn't received a single piece of unwanted advertisement from them.

As for the rack, considering it was $140 shipped (maybe $143, close enough), I am very happy. I've never had experience with a big name like Thule or Yakima to compare it against so it seems top notch to me and I don't know how it would really get any better. Well I guess that's not entirely true, the welds aren't the most beautiful I've ever seen and the powder coat did chip in a very small place when I joined the halves together. Not a big deal.

As everyone has already mentioned, it comes in 2 pieces. They also sell an 18" extension that would fit in the middle.

Having read about the potential of it rusting from the inside out, I put a layer of clear silicone around the "male" section before joining the halves, then ran a bead in the gap after they were together. I had read about this gap from other reviewers and sure enough had the same, which is due to a messy weld. If you do this you'll want to clean it up better than this picture because it looks sloppy with the rtv smeared on the bars like this. I pulled it off and will re-do it.

I also put a dab of rtv in the holes you use to mount the wind screen. I read that without a load shield actually increases wind noise and decreases mpg a couple so I left it off. After driving around I'm now curious about the wind noise claim and might attach it just to see.

If I decide to leave it mounted permanently I would like to do the "Jrogers brackets" that I've already linked to but for now just used the brackets that came with it, which are simple enough. The only issue with them is that the bolts stick up past the floor of the basket, which is not surprising being that this is a universal fit and the WJ crossbars are pretty thin in comparison to something like a Tahoe. I'll just trim them down, maybe with a Dremel. I definitely feel that doing those custom brackets will add to the strength, as well as let you place them exactly where you want them under the bottom tube. Your options are somewhat limited with the factory bars and the Rola brackets because there is really only 1 spacing that will work (2nd gap from the ends, you'll know what I'm talking about when you mount yours).

I'm not a big fan of being a billboard for someone else and this sticker was peeling so that was a simple decision to pull it off. It came right off without having to clean any gummy crud off.

Tadaaaa! All mounted up. I ran to town to get donuts for my sleeping bride since Mother's Day is tomorrow (you didn't forget, did you? ). Right away I noticed the wind noise was excessive, and that was at just 35mph. After my stop I climbed up and pulled the rack all the way back to the last stop and the noise was greatly reduced. My trip only brought me up to 45mph and with it pulled to the rear I could still hear it with the radio off although nowhere near as intrusive as before, but with the radio on low I had to listen for it to really notice. Not sure what 55+ will sound like. I'm now curious about that wind screen and might attach it just to try it out. One other thing to consider is that I'm currently riding on the crappy street tires that came under the JK so I have no road noise whatsoever. I'll be going to a good AT soon so it might all balance out.

Unread 05-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #24
4Doors
1999 WJ 

Garage Clearance

Hey Billzcat1, these shots are for you since you were concerned about getting one of these into your garage. My garage opening is 83" and I have just under 4" of clearance at the highest point (which is just forward of where this pic was taken). My radio antenna is 32" tall and just barely clears the garage opening, and it is the highest point on my vehicle. My WJ is lifted 4" and rides on 32" tires, and in this pic my gas tank was full but the vehicle was empty of cargo and my 180lbs was standing in a chair to the side. My basket is mounted on the Rola brackets and the factory crossbars, and the Jrogers mounts could possibly lower it just a little. Your results may vary of course, but I think you could squeeze it in your garage.

Unread 05-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #25
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Ha! Thanks for the measurements and pictures! For some reason, when you said "this one's for you" I thought of the Budweiser commercials of yore: "This Bud's for you".

Mine's (I think) 80-1/2" at the low point of the door. With a direct mount to the rails it will fit no problem. A friend of mine might be selling his Surco rack, now that one will most definitely need a direct mount as it is about 6" tall. Truth be told, I'll probably be starting off increasing cargo room using a hitch basket, something that is more easily installed "on demand". Given the expected addition to the family in 3-4 weeks, I don't think we'll be doing much in the way of camping this summer where we'll need to have both lots of cargo and lots of ground clearance. But for next year and an over-the-winter/possible Christmas present mod, the rack is high on my list of wants.
Unread 05-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #26
4Doors
1999 WJ 

Hey congrats on the baby! At least I'm assuming the new addition is a child, not an X-Box or a puppy. I love my hitch hauler, couldn't do without it. Mine was a Christmas gift and it was bought second hand so I don't know the manufacturer, but it looks identical to this one from Harbor Freight.
Unread 05-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #27
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yup, have a son due in early June! As for an Xbox.... I'm probably the only XBox tester that doesn't own one.
Unread 05-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #28
4Doors
1999 WJ 

I attached the wind deflector and it made it much more quiet, and I also pushed the bars forward one setting and it is no louder than it was when mounted all the way back but it looks better and more balanced now. Sure wish I could get that Rola logo off it though because although it doesn't look particularly bad it's not quite straight and again, I prefer not to be a billboard if possible. It isn't a sticker but it doesn't scrape off easily either, so not wanting to scratch it up since it is just plastic, I'll just leave it alone.

Unread 05-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #29
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Krylon Fusion the deflector?
Unread 05-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #30
4Doors
1999 WJ 

Sometimes the simple solutions escape me! Thanks for that, I probably will at some point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.