$400 Jeep Fiasco - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > $400 Jeep Fiasco

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough**Flash Weekend Sale** Rockridge4wd.com Only!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-05-2014, 10:18 PM   #1
akoutdoors1
2000 WJ 

$400 Jeep Fiasco

How could I back out? I'd called about a 2000 WJ with 100K miles and "engine problems" advertised for $2000. THe owner said he'd take $1000 for it. I priced moving it (it was in Salt Lake, I'm in Idaho) and priced some engine options. When I talked to the owner again he said he'd take whatever I'd give him over what the scrapper would pay him. Which was 400 bucks. I picked it up on Sunday. Now I'm into it for about $800.

What's wrong with it? I don't know yet. The owner said he'd taken it to a shop where he was told "It's got a bad lifter, gonna need a new engine."
On the way home "it died."

My plan is to pull the engine and take it down to find out what the real issue is. I'm tempted to pull the radiator, but don't know if it will be necessary.

My first question is, which manual should I get? I'll probably rebuild the engine myself. This will be my first.

Anyway, here are some pics. I'm happy with the jeep. I thought it was a base Laredo, but it is the "Up Country" package. Nice speakers, suspension, skid plates, heated leather seats, sun roof. I think it will look nice with a 3" lift and some 265/70/16's.

http://imgur.com/PtEhwEv,hWGKXwx,bAV...VNcoHn,W1PjwV2

akoutdoors1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
akoutdoors1
2000 WJ 

Hmmm. No Pics.
Unread 05-05-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
akoutdoors1
2000 WJ 

Somebody send the link of how to pits pics please.
Unread 05-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #4
braddf
2001 WJ 

click the paper clip and then find a picture
Unread 05-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #5
Jeeples
Elbows Deep In WJ's

2000 WJ 

Or use a photo hosting site, such as photobucket or imgur, then copy and paste the [img]yourphoto.jpg[/img] link into your post. You could also just post the KSL.com ad if it's still up as well.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

Build Thread

Real men run the stock rear sway bar at any height
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #6
Galaxie500LTD
2001 WJ 

You can't post a pic directly until you have 25 tech posts... I think? So yeah, do what Jeeples said.
Unread 05-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
Jeeples
Elbows Deep In WJ's

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie500LTD View Post
You can't post a pic directly until you have 25 tech posts... I think? So yeah, do what Jeeples said.
Yeah, I think you might be right.

That's ok, just post the links here like I described, then one of us that has been here long enough can work some magic to make it happen.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

Build Thread

Real men run the stock rear sway bar at any height
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #8
akoutdoors1
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Or use a photo hosting site, such as photobucket or imgur, then copy and paste the [img]yourphoto.jpg[/img] link into your post. You could also just post the KSL.com ad if it's still up as well.
I found the jeep on the last day it was on KSL. I need 25 posts? Guess I'll put some frivolous/opinionated/presumptuous comments over in the tech section.

"You're low on blinker fluid"

"Sure, that Cummins 24valve is a direct swap into a Wrangler, no modifications necessary"

"My brother's old chemistry teacher's neighbor says his came with factory lockers, so it must be true"
Unread 05-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #9
Tumbleweed1954
2000 WJ 

Find out what's wrong with it before you pull the engine. It may not have to come out.
Tumbleweed1954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #10
akoutdoors1
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed1954 View Post
Find out what's wrong with it before you pull the engine. It may not have to come out.
That is fantastic advice that I should have followed before I took the intake off. Based on the assessment that it sounded like a lifter... maybe it's a lifter...
Unread 05-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #11
akoutdoors1
2000 WJ 

The PO said it died on the way home from the mechanic's shop. I think I'll drain the oil and see if there is any metal. If so, I won't be tempted to button it back up and start it.
Unread 05-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #12
akoutdoors1
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed1954 View Post

I may be the first person in history to be disappointed that there weren't metal shavings in his oil. I picked up a battery today. Now I start putting it back together.

Quiz question: What sounds like a lifter and makes a 4.7 die?
Unread 05-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #13
BrokeWJ
1999 WJ 

May have a few different things going on. I doubt the two are related.

I've had a VSS stall the truck. Maintaining throttle pressure kept it running- when coming to a stop lower throttle pressure while staying on pedal and brake a bit harder to compensate.

Since the cams are the highest point- I think they'd be more likely to wear than the lifters. If you wind up needing motor parts, you may want to chat with Nick at airram.com.
BrokeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #14
akoutdoors1
2000 WJ 

Cams look great. I have the valve covers off now. I'm seeing some tiny metal bits where the oil pools.
Unread 05-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #15
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Post the links to the pics up and some one can repost them for ya.... Click free.

-GCJEEPING's build/mod thread-IT'S A GREEN THING...
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.