Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

3/4 ton ZJ build

239K views 764 replies 104 participants last post by  311LJ 
#1 ·
well i know i have been talking a lot of junk lately about going to full width axles and its finally happening. Im doing this transformation on a separate thread than my regular build just to make it easier and less cluttered.

So this is where im at right now...

got everything ripped out from under blue and sold. Both axles are gone as well as all of the suspension. I traded someone my 4.5 RE springs for some 7" claytons and im building my own long arms. They are going to be basically like claytons arms just home-made. well to make this less boring, here are some pics....

axles are a hp d44 front and full floating d60 rear. both have 3" OD tubes

last pic before the breakdown

nothing under her

old axles

See less See more
#2 ·
then i found some tires. ended up finding these guys on craigslist so i made the drive to pic them up...37x12.50s didnt quite fit in the dub so one had to go on the roof. talk about a hernia!

i paid 400 for the set then i had to buy the rims new.

#3 ·
found a 231 at the pull a part just sitting on the grand so i had to get it. I figured this is a stronger case than my 242, a lot more aftermarket for it and come to find out the bearing around the input shaft on my 242 was thrashed when i pulled it off. lucky it still worked!

my old 242 dissembled for the input shaft

and my new 231 in pieces waiting my AA SYE.

i was kind of at a stand still last weekend awaiting parts to arrive so i cleaned up the front axle to accept the new brackets. its not fun cutting off axle brackets in 110* weather. lol

#4 ·
all of my parts came in this week so i will definitely stay busy this weekend on it. Here is a little teaser... lol

#5 ·
Nice man. So far I have loved my SSR's, I got my set of 35 12.5 16's for $400 also, 2 with almost brand new tread 2 with like %60. The fronts ride like glass but hte rears are way unbalanced. Whatever, they do well in the rocks. Mine weigh in at like 95lbs per tire, I don't want to know what the 37" variety weighs lol

#7 ·
95lbs a tire?! i dont want to know what mine weigh either! haha especially with a 17" steel rim.

very nice.. thats gonna be a pretty sick jeep when your all finished with it
thanks man. im really stoked about it. i cant wait.

#20 ·
Damn. Gonna be pretty BA.

btw..whats with that white ZJ not registered...get on that :p

#21 ·
Haha yea that's my buddy. He bought it with a blown tranny so he got that fixed and has just been slowly working on it. He is building a set of long arms as well going on 33s with an isuzu d44 in the rear and a hp d30 with Reid racing outters to fit 44 stuff from there out. He doesn't drive it now tho so no worries. Lol

I should get Rollin on quite a bit on my rig this weekend. I'll take lots of picks and keep Yall informed.

#22 · (Edited)
Got the SYE on my 231 today. Its exciting to finally start getting things done.

This is the steel being used for my steering. Its 1.5" OD .250 wall DOM tubing. This is just a pic to show the beef. Thats a HP d30. lol Ill be using 1ton TREs instead of heim joints.

7" clayton springs

and master install kits. going to attempt the re-gear myself. I cant bring myself to spend the money to pay someone. lol

tomorrow i plan on getting my new brakes on the 44 and possibly stripping the 60 of its current brackets.

#26 ·
Yea I've gotten my front axle completely gutted and cleaned ready for new gears:D also have all the steel for my long arms. The crossmembers & rear brackets will b finished up this week. My buddy is goin out of town this weekend so I won't be able to work on it til he gets back. I also picked up all my brakes and the brackets for my d60 disc conversion. I'm not going to have any problems stopping this thing with these guys. Haha

I'm not running hi-steer as of now. I don't feel like taking off the passenger knuckle to machine it flat and drill & tap it. Also funds aren't really going to allow it right now. Eventually I'll run it along with hydro assist. Pics in the AM. Holllerrr

#28 ·
axle gutted and cleaned ready for new gears :2thumbsup:

i used a shovel to get the axle tube seals out. this is my buddy using it to get his out. it works realy well:thumbsup: then we just welded a washer that was sanded to fit snug in my axle tube to clean out the gunk in there

the beginning of the crossmember and the rest of it that needs to come together. they should be done this week. not bad for torching that oval out. haha

i also got my quick discos off for the first time in FOREVER. these things were like ancient. the hardware would not budge especially since they were hex heads. i just cut them off and will get new hardware. We ended up having to weld a nut to it to get it off. with new bushings and a paint job...

long arms anyone???:D

#29 ·
trying to be like moony. hahaha and it shows my axle stand

#32 ·
Haha thanks man. I wish it were faster paced than it's going right now. The build is going on at a buddys house and he works a regular like 0600-1500 Job and I work 1500-2300 so we can only work weekends and he is going out of town this weekend :( no worries though, we'll jump back into when he gets back and get'r done! Gotta rep the blue ZJs! Lol

and bumpers are on the list of things to do. Just more concentrated on making it roll again right now.

#33 ·
Finally get to get back to work on bigblue this weekend!:D i was just bored at home and thought man im going to need a spare....

so being the craigslist sages we all are, i hopped on and found these guys...

they are 16s and my other tires are 17s but what difference does it make when you pay 20 bucks a tire and they are spares?:2thumbsup: just gotta find some rims and mount them up.

then my 44 SOLID diff cover came in the mail and i got bored with my dog. hahaha

for all of you interested in the SOLID diff cover, they have them on sale for 65 a pop on solids website but shipping brings it over 80. Carolinatruggies sells them for 72 shipped. these things are usually 130-140 so take advantage! sale ends on the 15th. im waiting on funds for my 60 cover. hopefully my GF buy it for me. lol

hoping to get a lot done this weekend. ill keep yall posted!:wave:

#35 ·
Thanks man. his mother is a chihuahua/wiener dog mix and his dad is a pug. i think he got all of the better traits. i cant wait for it to start coming together. im going to florida for work on sept 11 so im hoping to have it done by then. working only on weekends, that gives me a solid 14 days. cross your fingers.

#37 ·
my dog is the same mix!!

Attachments

#36 ·
Hey Troy hope all is well! good luck on this, call me sometime. I hada opration on my foot so im home for a little bit. You coming to NC anytime to see your folks?

#38 ·
Pugchawienerhuahua FTW!!! Hahha

#40 ·
my weiner dogs bigger then yours! haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.