242 TC, front locker, snow - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > 242 TC, front locker, snow

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
Thelt
2005 KJ Liberty 

242 TC, front locker, snow

I have the transfer case that lets you choose between 2wd, 4wd part time and 4wd full time. I like the full time mode for the winter when there are patches of snow mixed with patches of dry pavement. I would like a front locker but I am concerned that it would be a problem when I use 4wd full time mode. I do not want erratic handling on the road in a snow storm.

Anyone have any advice for me?

I hate environmentalists, they keep me from enjoying the environment.
Thelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you install a locker, front or rear, it is highly recommended that you not use the Full-Time 4x4 position. You can shift as you drive to 4 High on snowy and icy pavement and then back to 2wd.

Part-Time 4 High and Part-Time 4 Low should not be used on dry or rainy pavement at all.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

Last edited by CJ7-Tim; 06-08-2010 at 02:50 AM..
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
sadass

1998 ZJ 

I Have the same set up. You will need to stay in 2wd if you the Road way has dry patches. Having said that, I was able to drive on snow covered roads in 4wd with no problems, but you want the Full time 4x4 not the Part time 4x4 position selected. The jeep will hand the turns on the snow covered road way better in Full time 4x4 v.s the front to Rear Transfer Lock that happens in Part time 4X4.
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Or, depending on your budget, it might be worth considering a selectable locker for the front. That way, you can avoid the problem by keeping it unlocked when it isn't needed.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

A selectable locker will be fine. An auto locker will cause major understeer in any 4wd position.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
98BlackZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadass View Post
I Have the same set up. You will need to stay in 2wd if you the Road way has dry patches. Having said that, I was able to drive on snow covered roads in 4wd with no problems, but you want the Full time 4x4 not the Part time 4x4 position selected. The jeep will hand the turns on the snow covered road way better in Full time 4x4 v.s the front to Rear Transfer Lock that happens in Part time 4X4.
Good to know. I've been meaning to ask how it was in the snow. I just installed an aussie in the 44a and I will be installing an aussie in the front this week.
Unread 06-08-2010, 06:05 AM   #7
sadass

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep-ZJ_97 View Post
Good to know. I've been meaning to ask how it was in the snow. I just installed an Aussie in the 44a and I will be installing an Aussie in the front this week.
In the winter when the roads are slush or a little Icy, you will still need to stay in 2wd. In fact, I stay in 2wd unless the road is completely snow covered. Especially if you are Rear locked, You will need to re-learn how to drive on the icy roads in the winter. Start by Slowing down and go easy on the skinny pedal during acceleration.

Sure a Selectable Would be Fine!!!!! But Aussie locking front and rear is Not something that I would change or do different, Unless I had a boat load of cash that I did not know what to do with it.
Selectable s were simply out of the question for me $$$$$.
The only cheaper way to fully lock a ZJ would be to Lincoln lock it, and I am strongly against doing that. So If you find your self wanting to Lock yet not dump extra money on Selectable s, I say go for the Aussie but be aware that driving habits will need to change. And yes there are a few minor draw backs to a full time or Lunch box locker. But For much less money, Your Jeep Capability's will be no different off road then the Guy that has dumped all there money into ARB Or an OX selectable . And truly , that is what was important to me. OFF ROAD CAPABILITY'S

One thing I want to add. With the 242 I find my self driving in full time 4x4 off road because the jeep maneuvers/ turns much better due to the open diff action of the transfer case in said position. There are times when you will need to lock the transfer case in Part time or 4 lo, you will see what I mean on the trail when you back tires are both spinning and the fronts are not turning, then you will simply shift the Transfer case to the Locked position which is Part time or =4Lo..
I feel the 242 is a far better choice over the 231 when you have a full time lunch box locker up front Because of the Full time position choice. You will see what I mean when you start to get that Under-steer off road that Ratmonkey mentioned. with the 242 in full time it is much much less noticeable.

If you care about a Locker being Transparent, then your only choice is a Selectable. But if you are on a Budget and Feel that you need to wheel the crap out of your Jeep, then Man up, take the good with the bad and Choose the Aussie ! But what ever you do, get that Beast Locked , UP. Then the fun starts
Unread 06-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have the NP-231 and PowerTrax No-Slips front and rear. In Minnesota we get plenty of snow. The front does push moderately when driven in 4x4 on snow and in tight turns. On open roads with gentle turns it is no problem. You just have to learn how to drive your vehicle. If you are on the gas the front locker stays locked so you have to ease up on the gas to unlock the front and then ease into your turn. I prefer to shift on the fly into and out of 4 high as conditions require. On the 4x4 trails the front locker has never been a problem and unlocks as needed to maneuver. On 4x4 trails, you should be in Part-Time 4x4 to lock the front and rear axles together.

Using Full-Time with two lockers or a front locker is hard on the viscous coupler or the transfer case differential (XJ 242) and should be avoided.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
sadass

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
I have the NP-231

Using Full-Time with two lockers or a front locker is hard on the viscous coupler or the transfer case differential (XJ 242) and should be avoided.
This information in wrong!!! The 242 does not use a Viscous Coupling and the 242 will not be damaged as a result of using Full time 4x4 off road when locked front and rear.

The Select Trac or the New Process NP 242 transfer case gives the following operating modes: 2wd, 4wd with the center differential open, 4wd with the center differential locked, neutral, and 4wd low range (center differential locked)

The addition of a center differential is the main difference between the NP 242 and the NP 231 or Command Trac transfer case. Without a differential, the 231 transfer case offers only part time four wheel drive mode.

The NP 242 transfer case Full time mode opens the center differential allowing the front and rear axles to rotate at different speeds while still being linked by the transfer case. The end with the least traction will get the most torque More like an Open axle differential and not a Viscous Coupling. While this mode may have some disadvantages off road where a wheel may loose contact with the ground, it has the advantage of being usable on all paved surfaces or when trying to turn fully locked Jeep on a hard dirt surface or rocks. Part Time mode - with the center differential locks can only be used on loose or slick surfaces with out possible damage to the transfer case.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.