2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Active Head Restraint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Active Head Restraint

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Iron Rock Offroad products - get them from Kolak!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 03-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
395JeeP

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Active Head Restraint

I have an event with the AHR ( active head restraint ) where it "automatically" activated? Was parked at coffee house in Palmdale, got in, turned on and "crack!!!". ( sounded like the center console fell shut ). Got out and could find nothing on the exterior. When I got back in the driver's seat I noticed my head hit the AHR. That's when I realized the AHR activated or opened up.

Took to the Reno Lithia Jeep dealer/service. They reset, and it activated. ( computer program confirmed no collision / bumping / etc ). Reno Lithia ordered replacement AHR. When part arrived, took my Jeep back in for this service. It tested fine at dealer, though only 4 days later, ( again parked at coffee house in Bishop, CA ((( maybe I am drinking too much coffee?? )) ) the AHR snapped open ( activated ). This time it did move my head forward as it should if I were in a rear-end collision. But I wasn't.

Took my Jeep back to Reno Lithia Jeep. The service department reviewed my retelling the events of my experience, had their tech mechanic retest, and the AHR continued to deploy. I was told that there is an issue, and that the main Jeep engineers would need to walk through the steps to determine why the AHR is deploying / activating. That was over 3 weeks ago, I am not so alarmed with Reno Lithia Jeep, but very concerned with corporate Jeep Chrysler customer service / engineer not being very responsive.

With that said, the Reno Lithia Jeep tech mechanic felt there was a short happening, because the activation would occur only when starting / turning on the ignition only - at least that is my experience - twice.

I don't want to turn off the electrical safety features, but if I could disconnect that AHR I would in a heart beat. I am not sure I understand how valuable the AHR is verses a head rest - but that is just me. BTW .... neither the colorful User Guide nor 600+ page Owners Manual (no listing in the index?? ) has any mention of the AHR. Another note, I learned about the AHR on these forums, with references and diagrams, which helped me to better understand. Thank you.

Attached photos for reference, especially those like me who discovered something / new feature which we knew nothing about.

close-up-ahr-drivers-seat.jpg

view-back-row-towards-drivers-seat-ahr.jpg

driver-door-view-ahr.jpg

close-up-interior-image-ahr-deployed-drivers-side.jpg

395JeeP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.