2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee acting crazy - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-18-2016, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
woodrowjeep

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee acting crazy

Hi,

I have a 2015 JGC Limited and just had the software updated this week at the dealership.

Now my windows go up and down on their own and the wipers move on their own.

Has anyone else had weird problems with their Jeep?

It started off as a great car, but man, this past year has been nothing but strange issues.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-19-2016, 08:26 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrowjeep View Post
Hi,

I have a 2015 JGC Limited and just had the software updated this week at the dealership.

Now my windows go up and down on their own and the wipers move on their own.

Has anyone else had weird problems with their Jeep?

It started off as a great car, but man, this past year has been nothing but strange issues.
Have you had the opportunity to take it back to the dealer? Kevin T, Social Connect Team
post #3 of 4 Old 07-20-2016, 04:11 PM
oshkoshjeepfam

Hi there,

I had my 2015 JeepGC in for the recall update this past Friday. On Sat. morning about 4AM, when my son was leaving for work, he noticed the dash on it was lit up. He tried to use the start button to turn it off, but it wouldn't turn off. He had to leave and then forgot to tell me about it until later. We used the car all day Sunday without issue. There were no dash lights on when we got in it Sun. morning and we drove around all day without an issue. When I got in it Monday afternoon I pressed the start button and the dash lit up but no start. Tried that a few times and no luck. The brake pedal was hard to press each time I tried to start it.

I had to leave, so my wife called our Jeep dealer and they arranged to have it towed in. The tow driver managed to jump start it and said the battery was reading weak. When I later talked to Jeep, they of course said the battery was weak and they had charged it and everything seemed okay. I calmly explained what had happened when my son saw it in the garage and pointed out that was the next day after the upgrade. A vehicle should not come on by itself with no key present!

They kept it for more testing and we picked it up Tuesday. They said the battery was defective and they replaced it. It apparently had a defective cell. I like my dealer and think their service people try to do a good job. But we were assertive and said we really are not sure the battery problem is not a symptom rather than a cause of these electronic problems.

The service manager, service rep and technician who worked on the vehicle were all present for us to talk to. I explained that this is the 2nd 2015 JeepGC I've had electronic problems with. We bought our first from this dealership last October (2015) before we went to Texas for the winter. On our way home in later March, our vehicle failed to start/even turn on two mornings in a row. Both times we called the 800 number and they towed it to the nearest dealer. The first dealer, after 5-6 hours of waiting got the electronic system reset by disconnecting the battery for several minutes. They said a low battery can cause that type of problem but it appeared to them that the master electronic module (located behind the rear quarter panel on the rear passenger side) was defective and they had checked and there were none in the several surrounding states. It would take a few days to get one. Their fix might last a day or a year - they really didn't know. We decided to take our chances and drive on. Made it to Little Rock and the next morning I got in the vehicle and hit the start button and nothing. No lights, no indicators, no engine start - nothing. And my wife's key fob would not open the passenger door or lock it! Tried resetting the system myself by getting to the battery and disconnecting. Still nothing. Towed again and this time the dealer offered to try to fix or make us a deal on another 2015 JeepGC. After some wrangling, we took the deal and were on our way. Have been happy with this vehicle until now - had no problems.

Needless to say, I'm becoming more suspicious of the electronics in these vehicles. What they explained to me was that the various electronic control modules require critical voltage levels and will draw from each other if they get low. Some will fail safe if they drop too low and/or cause strange activity. Specifically mentioned was door locks and windshield wipers operating by themselves! Apparently, dash lights can also operate by themselves and come on without the car being started or a key fob present. I'd say that is not too good for the battery!

In any case, there was no charge for the tow or battery, but I wonder what else these systems can do by themselves?? I think auto manufacturers are moving faster to implement new digitally based features than their engineering and safety people can catch up with understanding the unintended consequences. Also seems like batteries need more power to handle the increasing demands - not minimally sufficient power. And all dealerships really should have at least one well-trained IT person as part of their service departments who has a better understanding of auto based computer systems/modules. Just my thoughts.

Would like to hear the experience of others out there with their electronics based problems and any relationship to "flash" upgrades??

oshkoshjeepfam
post #4 of 4 Old Today, 12:37 PM
grayWJ4x4

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee acting crazy

Sorry to hear about your problems. And unfortunately I don't have any suggestions on repairs or fixes but my suggestion is whenever your car acts up no matter what the issue is always video record it with your phone. I have done that many many times from faulty back up camera to noisy panels to funny lights on the dash because most of the time problems go away after turning the car on and off.
I walk in to the service department show them the video while problem was happening and tell them to fix it.
There is no questioning the problem or me trying to explain or convince them to take a look at what seems to be the problem.
Hopefully everything will workout.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.