2014 Diesel Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > 2014 Diesel Grand Cherokee

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 02-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

2014 Diesel Grand Cherokee

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review. Why didn't they make this in a v8?

Unread 02-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
WJHahn

Probably because...

"The grunt is enough to imbue the diesel Grand Cherokee with the same towing capacities—7400 pounds with rear-wheel drive, 7200 with four-wheel drive—as the 5.7-liter V-8 model. Of perhaps equal importance, of course, are fuel-economy ratings. Jeep pegs the rear-drive EcoDiesel at 22 mpg city/30 highway; opting for four driven wheels sacrifices 1 mpg in the city and 2 on the highway. Range is said to be more than 730 miles"...
WJHahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJHahn
Probably because...

"The grunt is enough to imbue the diesel Grand Cherokee with the same towing capacities—7400 pounds with rear-wheel drive, 7200 with four-wheel drive—as the 5.7-liter V-8 model. Of perhaps equal importance, of course, are fuel-economy ratings. Jeep pegs the rear-drive EcoDiesel at 22 mpg city/30 highway; opting for four driven wheels sacrifices 1 mpg in the city and 2 on the highway. Range is said to be more than 730 miles"...
I can understand, the same with less, but why not more with the same? Guess thelarger market is the v6 and if that is successful, a v8 can come later.
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
rcwj04
2004 WJ 

I really see no need for a v8 diesel in a grand, people who want that much power are going to get a truck, and the v6 is putting out like 450ish foot pounds of torque

Quote:
You forget that most members here don't own a crystal ball to tell you exactly what your problem is, specially with bad pictures that don't say/show much of anything... -Jacko84

Just a 19 year old kid with a Jeep, and broke because of it, and loving every moment.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 116k
2" BDS coils & Bilstein 5100's | Addco rear swaybar with energy bushings |
K&N FIPK | glasspack | plasti-dipped badges | 17" moabs | HID's, 245/65/17 Cooper Discover AT3 | Rola rack | Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs | Bed lined interior (what a pain that was)
rcwj04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
Darnice
2004 WJ 

I was beside one (with mfg plates) and i talked to the driver, she said it had plenty of get up and go, more than the old mercedes 3 L diesel.
One think i did notice, its not a quiet one, it was clackety clackety, just like a truck.
Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
damessor92
2000 WJ 

whatre they thinking on a price tag for it and who makes the diesel?
damessor92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
DareBrandon

Cummins....
DareBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #8
DareBrandon

No need for a v8 it will probably be a straight 6. My guess...
DareBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #9
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

They look uglier and uglier.
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #10
capcyclone

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomWJ View Post
They look uglier and uglier.
^^I agree.

The GC historically was so easy to recognize on the road - it stood out (in a good way) - you knew exactly what it was. The new GCs look a lot like other midsize SUVs/crossovers - Acura MDX, Ford Explorer, etc.

I hope Jeep doesn't change the looks of the Wrangler.....that would be sacrilege.
Unread 04-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #11
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

I have a 2008 CRD and my informal seat-of-the-pants dynomometer when test driving the hemi and CRD told me the CRD has better get up and go. The Hemi may do better once you are past 60 MPH, but I rarely drive that fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnice View Post
I was beside one (with mfg plates) and i talked to the driver, she said it had plenty of get up and go, more than the old mercedes 3 L diesel.
One think i did notice, its not a quiet one, it was clackety clackety, just like a truck.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #12
Radcrd
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareBrandon View Post
Cummins....
Nope, it a VM Motori Italian engine.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 11:58 PM   #13
Mcjeeperson
1988 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/1...diesel_engine/

Here's a version Banks engineering is working on. Am I the only one totally stoked about this engine? It's kind of an engineering marvel.
Mcjeeperson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

“Our initial build will be 240 hp and close to 500 lb ft with an engine weight under 500 pounds,” reports Banks.

That excites me, but I have a feeling these engines will garner more excitement for the wrangler rubicon crowd.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.