2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Brake Failure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Brake Failure

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
jmorocco
2012 FSJ Cherokee 

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Brake Failure

I currently lease a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and the other day my wife and son were driving the car and the brakes completely failed. They would not depress even at 5-10 mph and if completely slammed to the floor the abs would pump bake fighting the brake pressure. They went through a red right and luckily were not hurt. Later the brakes begin working and we dropped it off at the service center. Once there they test drove it and almost crashed as the brakes would not work. They said it needs a new brake booster, but the part is on back order and there are actually 3 other cars at that service station which needs the same part. I have read a couple posts on various websites with people having the same issue. I was wondering if others have experienced the same issue? (on another note no one has been able to help us with either a loaner car or paying for a rental as the car has 38k miles so techinically out of warranty..so thats been fun). Thanks.

jmorocco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #2
Disgusted

I as well am having issues with the brake booster on a 2011 grand cherokee. I can't get a straight answer from any dealership in regards to the back order status. Corporate has assigned a case manager that has done nothing so far. I am disgusted with the way jeep is handling, or not handling, this critical safety issue. From my understanding there is no eta for the part. There are none on the shelves with close to 1000 affected vehicles and growing daily. I pray that no one dies as a result of jeeps complete disregard for our safety. I plan on contacting local news stations and exposing this publicly. I am also having troubles with getting a loaner even though I'm entitled to one since it is a " certified vehicle". More like a " certified jeep POS". Why does it always take loss of life for a reaction. I'm beyond words........
Disgusted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
Disgusted

Bump
Unread 02-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
Disgusted

Bump.
Unread 02-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

I am currently having the same problem with my 2012 grand Cherokee. I have a thread started also but as for answers I have nothing. We have 75,000 miles and the brakes started doing the same thing around 70K "or" when the weather changed. You can stop slowly but slam on them and the jeep just keeps rolling. Its been at the dealer and they state it as "low assist" from the booster. Jeep will not cover replacement and don't have the part if they would. We been waiting for 3 weeks for a phone call saying your part is in but have heard nothing. 567.00 repair is what they have quoted. We are very upset about the situation. here is my thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...-help-1972282/
supersport126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

Updates from anyone? Jeep called and said parts should be here Wednesday but I'm not spending 600 bucks on the same booster with the same problems.
Unread 02-19-2014, 06:09 AM   #7
jmorocco
2012 FSJ Cherokee 

2 weeks on backorder

After 2 weeks on backorder the brake booster finally came in. Have had the car for a week and problem hasn't happened again...yet.
jmorocco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 06:31 AM   #8
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

Was it covered by warranty and has it been colder then 10 degrees ?
Unread 02-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
skmerideth

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Brake Booster Failure

I was driving through Louisville February 10, 2014. I had to take a detour from I-64. As I was exiting onto the off-ramp, my brakes would not function. I pumped them but nothing was happening. I was forced to merge into oncoming traffic. There was a red stop light on Spring street. I could not stop. I had to drive through the light and make a left turn onto Mellwood. I nearly hit a car in front of me just before pulling into a vacant gas station when I had to throw my car into park because the emergency brake would not function. I was traumatized. I had two dogs in the back seat. I contacted Chrysler and they told me a tow truck could pick me up in 4 hrs. I had to call Suburban Towing. Mind you, I was in a shady part of Louisville at 4:00pm. There were homeless people lurking in my vehicle. I was put in a dangerous situation. I had to call for an officer to sit with me until my town truck came. Amongst all this, one of my dogs as a seizure. Horrifying! I contacted my Dealership that I purchased the vehicle from (Steve Jones Motors LLC) no more than 40 days prior to this incident and explained my situation. They were extremely rude and neglectful to my issue. They told me what since I purchased the vehicle and drove it off their lot, they are not liable for anything and I only had the power-train warranty left. I contacted Chrysler again and they explained that the warranty did not cover a Master Cylinder aka Brake Booster and they could not assist me with the cost to repair my vehicle. My car was towed to Jeffersonville (Bales Motors). They have had my vehicle since February 10, 2014. I called this morning to make sure they had the part and I could pick it up on Saturday. They informed me that the brake booster was on back-order and there is no ETA for the part. I explained to him that I am going on 3 weeks without a vehicle. I live in Evansville, IN, 2 hrs. away. I asked for the part number so I could call around Evansville Jeep Dealerships to find a brake booster. A man told me that it is a restricted piece and there are over 650 orders for that piece. I will be without a vehicle for the foreseeable future. I am extremely upset. I paid a lot of money for a vehicle for this car and I can't even drive it!!! Plus, I could have died!
skmerideth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.