2000 WJ Expedition Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 48 Old 06-30-2012, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
bigredhawkeye
2000 WJ 

Well the Dub is going to see some more improvements starting Monday. Yesterday I got my 1 gallon kit of black Monstaliner and free quart of chassis saver! So I'm going to redo my bumpers and trim pieces to cover the god-awful faded Herculiner. I'd like to point out that Magnet Paints has been extremely pleasant to deal with, especially Magnetman on this forum. There was an issue where my order was lost within UPS but they gladly shipped out another kit to me right away!

Also I've been having some binding when turning sharply on my WJ. Turns out the shop where I get a lot of my work done put in the wrong transfer case fluid when they changed it a couple weeks ago. So it looks like this week I'm going to have to go to the Jeep dealer and pick up some Mopar 247 fluid and do it myself...Hopefully that'll take care of the binding!

Attached Thumbnails
ML90RK1G-1-Gallon-Kit.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 48 Old 06-30-2012, 07:42 PM
jejeep

Help me out here how do I know which jeep model wj or I have 1999 grand Cherokee laredo 4*4 six cylinder straight engine not v.
post #18 of 48 Old 07-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jejeep View Post
Help me out here how do I know which jeep model wj or I have 1999 grand Cherokee laredo 4*4 six cylinder straight engine not v.
What in the hell?

and any pictures of the monstaliner? The jeep looks great!

JEEP
Just Emptying Every Pocket

post #19 of 48 Old 10-09-2012, 10:19 PM
sicWJofNWA
1999 WJ 

hey man that lift turned out great!! im glada you like it. you will really dig the look of the bedliner especially if you make a clean tape line. best thing is if it fades you can just roll it again. mines been on there for 2 years and its been repainted once. looks good man keep it up

:SUSPENSION:
'99 4.7L V8, 45RFE with Trans-go Shift Kit, Kuhmo KL71 265/75R-16 on Cragar Soft 8's, Carolina front double cardon DS, 242HD TC Swap, Aussie Locked 44a, IRO 6.5" premiun lift kit with all arms adjustable, Kolak 5125 bilsteins. IRO adj track bar, IRO dual HD steering stabilizer (in the mail), IRO premium rocksliders (in the mail),
:AUDIO:
Optima Yellow Top. Infinity 475 and 1600a amps. Infinity 4 way 6x9's front, infinity 6" rears, 2 JL W3v3 4 ohm subs.
:CARPC:
Zotac GF9300-ITX mobo w/ wifi, Intel quad core @3.2 gHz, 1tb ssd, 250 Watt dc-dc carnetix power supply, Lilliput 10.2" tochscreen in the dash, Winders 7 home premium. An iTunes library w/ 370 gigs of music.
post #20 of 48 Old 11-19-2012, 11:29 PM
99Limited
1999 WJ 

Nice Dub! I am currently an Air Force cadet at the University of Kentucky! Gotta love stipend!

image-2812510519.jpg
post #21 of 48 Old 12-14-2012, 08:42 AM
VA-WJ
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
Nice Dub! I am currently an Air Force cadet at the University of Kentucky! Gotta love stipend!

Attachment 510779
What lift and size tires are you running here? I love the look.
post #22 of 48 Old 12-14-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
bigredhawkeye
2000 WJ 

Well I haven't looked at this thread in months! Crazy how busy I've been with school this past semester. Turns out double majoring accounting and finance and minoring in political science takes up a lot of my time, haha.

But now I have 5 weeks off for winter break so I will be posting some updates soon!
post #23 of 48 Old 12-14-2012, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
bigredhawkeye
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicWJofNWA View Post
hey man that lift turned out great!! im glada you like it. you will really dig the look of the bedliner especially if you make a clean tape line. best thing is if it fades you can just roll it again. mines been on there for 2 years and its been repainted once. looks good man keep it up
Thanks man! I definitely love the Monstaliner. It's been on for a few months now, and it sits out all day at my apartment and so far I've had zero fading!
post #24 of 48 Old 12-14-2012, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
bigredhawkeye
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post

Attachment 510779
Thanks! and nice looking Dub to you as well, love the color and wheel combo.
post #25 of 48 Old 12-16-2012, 07:09 PM
99Limited
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-WJ View Post
What lift and size tires are you running here? I love the look.
Thanks man. It's a hybrid lift from Kolak. , Teraflex 4" springs, IRO CA's and a-arm spacer, Bilistein 5100 shocks, tires are 265/70/17 on JK Moab take offs
post #26 of 48 Old 07-30-2013, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
bigredhawkeye
2000 WJ 

Hey everyone,

So after a year hiatus, I'm going to start updating my build thread again.

A little update about my last year:

I got medically DQ'd from the Army, due to them finding out about a serious heart condition that my mom has. Despite the heart condition not being heriditary, and the fact that I do not have it, they decided to withdraw my ROTC scholarship and offer. I fought it for a couple months, and ended up going through the waiver process, but with no luck. Apparently any time there is a mention of something heart related, they do not even care about the circumstances (and the fact I'm perfectly healthy and aced every PT test), they just deny your waiver.

Needless to say I was pretty torn up, as it was all I ever wanted to do in life. Also, money got extremely tight, as I spent a good amount of money on my WJ once I found out I was getting my school paid for. Well, that is no longer the case, and also is the reason I haven't updated the thread since then.

Sob story aside, I'm deciding once again to start building up my WJ...and I'm building it into an Overland vehicle. I just recently started a trip planning thread on Expedition Portal, but I also need a lot of advice for building up my vehicle, which will be better served by this forum.

Here is the first post from my other thread on ExPo, explaining why I'm building up my WJ, and where I'm planning on taking it next year:

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I'm obviously new here, and am in the very beginning stages of planning what will hopefully be an unforgettable trip for my Dad and I that will take place next summer (June-August 2014). Two years ago, my Dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease at the young age of 55, and has been quickly losing his mobility. Growing up, my father and I would take yearly backpacking trips, including through Colorado, Wyoming, UP of Michigan, you name it. Due to his health, we won't be backpacking anytime in the future, so I decided to try to organize an "overland" type trip, and surprise him with the details this upcoming Christmas. Like I said, I just decided to do this a few days ago, so I have hardly anything planned/thought out, but below are some details/info that might help with suggestions:

Where I want to go: This is the hard part. We will be starting in Eastern Iowa, and I want to head west to spend some significant time in Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, and Montana. After Montana I was thinking we would head west to Washington, and then shoot North into BC, and possibly head as far as Alaska.

Coming back, I'm not sure yet. I'd love to come back a different way, possibly heading East through Canada and going as far as Ontario, before shooting South back into the States.

This is really as far as I've gotten in the planning process. I know I want to spend a good amount of time in Moab, UT, as I've always wanted to off-road at all of the various places.

Vehicle, Equipment, etc: We'd be taking my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which currently has a 3" suspension lift, with 32" all-terrain tires, upgraded shocks, etc. As far as the suspension is concerned, I would assume that I'm going to leave it at that. Future plans within the next year include a new bumper, roof rack/light system, and hopefully a rear bumper with spare tire cover. Also possibly a snorkel and a few other odds and ends.

Any other suggestions on the vehicle? I know absolutely nothing about car-based showering systems, etc. Also, I need to figure out what we will do for the sleeping situation. I like the idea of a rooftop tent, though I'm not sure if I'll have the funds for one. So I'm hoping you guys can help with the other stuff that will be necessary to make it possible to live out of my Jeep for a couple months.

As far as equipment is concerned, we have pretty much everything needed to camp for long periods of time (from our backpacking days). So the main concern is prepping the vehicle to be livable.

Budget: This is tough to predict right now. Currently I'm 21 and a third year college student majoring in accounting and finance. I have an accounting internship with Deloitte this upcoming Spring, so I'm banking on that providing a significant amount of money, as well as a job offer, which will go to help pay for all of this. I'd love for the trip to cost less than $10,000 (not including modding my Jeep, as that will cost a significant amount of money, but I plan on continuing to do these trips in the future so it will be well worth the investment). Is $10,000 a realistic estimate? I honestly have no idea.

Like I said, this is in the early stages. I'm hoping that this thread will help me centralize all of my planning, as well as any insight that any of you can provide.

--Cam
And here is the most updated photos of what my WJ currently looks like:
post #27 of 48 Old 07-30-2013, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
bigredhawkeye
2000 WJ 

So one of the most important things about building a capable off-road/overland vehicle, is to have good recovery points. Since I currently have no front recovery points, I figured I needed to change that ASAP.

I'm currently looking into either building or buying a custom front bumper, but until I have the funds, I needed something else.

So I bought front tow hooks off of the classifieds here:

(They were used, so they don't look quite as good as below, haha):
post #28 of 48 Old 07-30-2013, 09:03 AM
DavisI
2002 WJ 

I really like the graphite wheels on your black wj. It is indeed a nice contrast. How are those tires working out for you on/off road?
post #29 of 48 Old 07-30-2013, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
bigredhawkeye
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisI View Post
I really like the graphite wheels on your black wj. It is indeed a nice contrast. How are those tires working out for you on/off road?
Thanks! I have had black wheels on every other one of my vehicles, so I decided graphite would be a nice change of pace. Honestly, I'm really glad I chose it, as I think it looks better than black (at least for my Jeep).

The tires are working out pretty well. I have probably just under ~10,000 miles on them, and they are wearing very well...especially for being a no-name "cheap" tire brand. I can't say I've done any extreme off-roading with them, but they have served me very well in snow/mud from hunting/etc. I'd definitely recommend them if you are not planning on doing any serious rock crawling, as I think they were probably ~$60-$100 less per tire than the other ones I were considering (BFG A/T, M/T, Kevlars, etc.)
post #30 of 48 Old 07-31-2013, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
bigredhawkeye
2000 WJ 

Now up next is a rear tire carrier, with the ability to haul jerry cans/hi-lift, etc.

However, I really don't want to pay more than $500, and I don't have the tools/space to create one myself.

Ideas?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.