1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo hesitates and clunks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > 1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo hesitates and clunks

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 06-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
GrandTing

1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo hesitates and clunks

It starts great, drive out of the driveway or parking lot, it will hesitate - almost like pulling back - and will shake and/or make a metal clunking sound coming from under the hood. First thought it was bad gas so when the tank was 1/2 full, filled up with another brand - still did it. Put HEET in and injector cleaner - still did it. Changed spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor - still did it. Changed TPS throttle positioning sensor - still did it. TPS did read .7 and when open read 3.7 (manual said to be between 4.5 - 5.0 so thought that was it but it still does it), engine light does not come on so no code is showing. Replaced oil pressure sensor - still did it. After it is done with the "episode", it runs perfect - after driving 1/2 - 1 mile.
Any thoughts on what may be the issue. I heard the Jeeps have sensor issues and this is a common thing. I really like my vehicle and if it's an easy fix, I would do it to keep it.
mileage just under 165,000. I baby it and don't press on the gas while it's doing it and when I stop at a light or intersection and go again, it usually seems to clear up then.
Thank you for any suggestions!
JS

GrandTing is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.