1997 Jeep Cherokee Laredo wont start code 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > 1997 Jeep Cherokee Laredo wont start code 12

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
d1trance

1997 Jeep Cherokee Laredo wont start code 12

I am new here and just bought a used 1997 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. I was having stalling problems from the start (only once in a while it would stall). Last week it stalled and thought it might be low on gas so added gas and started again. Next day It did the same thing but stalled and didn't want to start again. All I get is a clicking sound. I checked codes and get 12 and 55 plus when the 12 code comes up the check gages light comes on. Battery is new and I recently passed the smog check. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my jeep?

d1trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

The clicking sound is usually an indication that there is low power to the starter. Look at your battery cables, clean all terminals.

Click on green link below.
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1trance View Post
I am new here and just bought a used 1997 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. I was having stalling problems from the start (only once in a while it would stall). Last week it stalled and thought it might be low on gas so added gas and started again. Next day It did the same thing but stalled and didn't want to start again. All I get is a clicking sound. I checked codes and get 12 and 55 plus when the 12 code comes up the check gages light comes on. Battery is new and I recently passed the smog check. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my jeep?
12 means battery power to pcm was disconnected i would start by checking the battery cable the the pdc from thier check the fuse and hot wire to the pcm."take pdc out to inspect battery connection and wire connection it makes it easier" my pdc did not tell me what this one perticular fuse went to it was a small fuse i had to take the pdc out take it apart get the fuse number off the bottom and look it up in the wiring diagram it went to my pcm there is a long story behind that just thought i would throw that out there.but any ways 55 just means the obd2 has completed its cycle.sorry i didnt see you put you know what the codes are didnt know if you did or not so i went ahead and told you
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1trance View Post
And also the last time my check gauges light came on and it wanted to stall and.click when attempting to start it the clicking was because of a dead battery dew to a bad alternator
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.