1993 - 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Government RECALL on Gas Tanks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > 1993 - 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Government RECALL on Gas Tanks

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
jessebrown
2002 WJ 

New recall for WJs 1993-2004.

Anyone hear anything about this?

http://news.yahoo.com/chrysler-refus...170100433.html

jessebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

It's a bull**** request that has no merit.

Is the dealer really going to relocate my gas tank for me, making sure to avoid interference with my armor, lift and aftermarket rear bumper? Or should I be forced to give up a $11,000 vehicle for zero compensation?
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Seriously? How did they miss every XJ ever made having the gas tank behind the axle? Or is it high enough to be protected?

I'm pretty sure every mustang ever made up until the S197 in '05 had the gas tank behind the rear axle and below the crash bar. Is Ford going to recall 40 years worth of mustangs?

What do they want them to do anyway? Cut out the spare tire well and move the tank up?
Unread 06-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Concerning the Mustang, the issue is not so much that the tank is located behind the rear axle but more about being located there ...combined with the height of the tank in proportion to the likely lower vehicle or same height that hits it.

More to the point, in a rear colision, if the tank suffers a direct hit as in the case of a lower vehicle and a WJ, the tank is not surrounded by structure that will offset the impact and deflect damage away from the tank.

A reasonable solution is not obvious to NHTSA nor reasonable for Chrysler to implement. The WJ met the standard at the time and though the standard was set low in comparison to now, it was the standard.

Here's more (older) coverage & video of the tank giving up fuel. http://abcnews.go.com/US/safety-advo...ry?id=13791477

Do you ignore the past and future deaths/injuries or do something? That's the question that court will decide I guess.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I think the stat was that there is a death that is directly attributed to a fire caused by a rear impact to a ZJ or WJ once for every million yesrs they have been on the road. Perfectly acceptable imo, otherwise you have to go back and apply current standards to other manufacturers as well.
Unread 06-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

It's crap. Chrysler will not issue that bogus recall. It won't affect the sale of WK2's so I doubt they care. It's such a small number of "fires", too.
PSA - It would be nice if people made an attempt while typing to discuss their problems or opinions instead of one long sentence with no punctuation. Maybe I'm cynical, but that really pisses me off. Rant over.

"It's like saying I had a car I got that was painted by the previous owner. I had an accident so painting a car is unsafe." - cykaaro
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

This has been popping up every month or so for the 5 years Ive been a member of this forum. Its something thats been around for almost a decade. Chrysler has already released their "fix" with a big slice of steel on the drivers side of the tank.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
fast540
1999 WJ 

Holy doodoo will someone please come take my death trap if a jeep and dispose of it for me I feel unsafe to drive it now
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Your worried. Something like 3.5M vehicles and 51 incidents. Thats .0014572%. You will probably get struck by lightening 10 times or win the the powerball and lotto in the same week before this would affect you.
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
Seriously? How did they miss every XJ ever made having the gas tank behind the axle? Or is it high enough to be protected?
It is likely the leaf springs and rear shackle mounts which are right in front of the rear bumper (and behind/under the tank) that protect the tank on the XJ vs. the control arms and coils on the ZJ/WJ which do not extend behind the axle providing no protection when struck by a "low-nosed" vehicle.

That being said it still isn't the issue that the NHTSA is making it out to be, the ZJ, WJ, and KJ all met the safety standards when they were built and The NHTSA is trying to apply current standards to 10-20 year old vehicles which is ridiculous and likely illegal (this would be an example of an ex-post-facto law which the constitution specifically prohibits, not that the current administration cares about that pesky thing). What's next recall every vehicle made before air-bags, anti-lock brakes, stability control, seat belts, etc. ?

And as gcjeeping said the odds are so low it isn't even worth worrying about and the rate of fires on ZJ/WJ/KJs isn't significantly higher than other vehicles from the same time period.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I think they were saying it works out to 1 death for every million years the ZJ, WJ, KJ are on the road.
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
mrowaan
1999 WJ 

Here is Chrysler's official stance on the issue. This link was posted on a FB status from Jeep. http://www.chryslergroupllc.com/Inve...0413Facebook11
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

According to the data included in Chrysler's response to this, I am safer in an '84 Dodge Aries than I am in my WJ. That's inspiring and doesn't at all cause me to raise an eyebrow. I've never really been a fan of burning to death though. No matter how low the odds might be, I always like to go lower on something like that.
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #14
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

I was rear ended at 40+ mph in A 97 ZJ that already had rear end damage. The gas tank was jammed in to the rear axle leaving an imprint in the front of the tank and locking the rear axle in place. The entire body was bent leaving the top rear corners of the rear doors sticking up and out. For a full month not a drop of fuel came out of a full tank.
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #15
donald73d

So if I wanted to buy the part that is the suggested fix by the NHTSA what part would that be? Would a frame mounted class III trailer hitch (not a factory one, one that hangs down a bit) protect the tank?

I had a 1965 and 1969 Mustang, both with "drop-in" gas tanks and now a 2001 Jeep GC. (No Pinto however). Am I pushing my luck?

RockAuto sells skid plates but they look like they just cover the diff.
donald73d is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.