'04 2WD WJ Laredo to '04 4WD WJ "Limited" Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > '04 2WD WJ Laredo to '04 4WD WJ "Limited" Build

Steinjager TJ tube doorsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #16
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Here are the '04 Limted Electroluminescent Gauges in the daytime.

Here is the Laredo-turned-Limited Dash,

I think it turned out ok.

Jerry

Unread 12-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #17
cabin
2003 WJ 

Good work!

I'm sure you have saved a ton of money going to the 'yards for parts.
Unread 12-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #18
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Yeah man! props for making to conversion, when are you gonna start the 4wd?

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #19
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

Conversion is coming out real good! Keep it up bud.

2004 WJ Ltd. (steel blue pearlcoat)
4.7, 242 HD swap, 6" Clayton's, 35" BFG KM2s, F/R chromo'd JK Rubi D44s
TX-WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #20
mattjeeperWJ
2012 WK 

You've done a good job mate. Good to see build with a twist

Could you please tell me what was involved in installing the EVIC?

Matt
Unread 12-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #21
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, just so you guys know the difference in the gauge clusters, here's a pic of all three, the '04 Limited Electroluminescent gauges are on the top, the '01 White-Faced gauges are in the middle, and the '04 Black-Faced gauges are on the bottom.

As for the 4WD conversion, I'm holding off on that until the first of the year. I'll have the 242, which is the hardest part of this conversion to come by, next week. I still need the 4WD OD Unit and D30, as well as both drive shalfs. The front axle and drive shafts I'm not so concerned about finding as I am with the 4WD OD Unit. I saw a WJ that had the 42RE still in, but the t-case was gone. That is my only shot, but, tghere is no way that I'll have time to go this week, and I'll be on vacation next week, so, it'll be gone by the time I get around to getting it, .

Thanks for all the comments on this, Basically, the interior is done, except for the leather seats, which, I'm still looking for the driver's side seat. I still need to install and hook up the power track on the passenger side, but, I can't do that until I get all the leather seats installed. My wife requested that I don't install the leather seats until I get all of them, which, I can understand.

As far as the EVIC install is concerned, it's not much. All EVIC's from '99 to '04 can be swapped, it's just a matter of which options you want as to which EVIC you need. WJ Jeeps has all the part numbers and years for the different options here. AS far as actually replacing them, it's simple: unscrew the Phillips screw on the front side middle of the EVIC housing, pry it away from headliner, unplug the main harness plug and rout it out of the plastic hold-downs on the EVIC, plug in your 'new' EVIC, rout the harness in the hold-downs on the EVIC, push it up into the headliner, and then, screw the Phillips head screw in the front of the EVIC, and you're done. The WJ Jeeps site has more info and pics to help.

Well, if I don't get another post on before I leave, I hope everyone has a great holiday season,

Jerry
Unread 12-13-2009, 06:49 PM   #22
madrabbitt

have you gotten the fog lights yet?
you may get lucky and find an 99-03 bumper that has the oval fog lights. If the lenses get cleaned, and you put in better bulbs, its my opinion that the oval ones are brighter.

However, you can also put the better bulbs in the round ones, and have some good usable light.

The only reason you want the EVIC swap is because you want to replace your non homelink one with a homelink one, right?

I just recently did that in my friend's 04. She had a non-homelink version, and we decided we were going to use the RF board and buttons for something useful, so we found a homelink unit on ebay and put it in.

Even if you dont have a garage door at home, having 3 buttons to use for accessories is rather helpful. You just need an RF reciever/relay box installed somewhere with at least 3 channels.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 08:39 PM   #23
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Here's the latest update. It's not much, but, this is it until the first of the year.

All I need to do now, is to get the Trail Rated badges, The t-case will be here next week, and, then, I'll start to look for the 4WD OD unit.

Yes, I intend to get the fog lights, the OEM '04 round ones. I'm getting most of these things as if the Jeep came with them, so, I'm trying to get '04 parts when I can. As far as the badging, this is why I put the 4x4 badge under the "Jeep" on the tailgate, this is where it is on the '04. The Trail Rated badges only went on the '04 WJ's, so, that's why I want them on.

Happy Holidays, everyone,

Jerry
Unread 01-01-2010, 09:20 AM   #24
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hope everyone had a great New Year!! Well, this week, I was able to get the 242, the 4WD OD unit, the cable for the t-case shifter, and the vent line for the t-case, Just to keep a tally on what was spent, $175 for the 242, and $23 for the OD unit, cable, and vent line. Not bad, I must say, All that's needed now is the front axle and the two drive shafts, and I'll be good to go, . The sad thing is, every drive shaft I've seen at the junkyard is either bent to hell, or cut off, so, they are completely useless, . I see this being a hangup, but, at least I got the hard to find parts, trying to get trannys and t-cases, you have to be quick. From what I can gather from talking to the junkyard people, there are people that come in and buy up every tranny and t-case in the yard once a week. Like I've stated before, the front D30's are almost always left on the vehicle for some reason, I guess no one wants them, good for me,

I'll post pics as soon as I can, have fun!!

Jerry
Unread 01-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #25
madrabbitt

i think you got a good deal overall.

cant wait for you to get the axles and d-shafts and get it running.

when my front shaft failed, i got a decent used one on ebay, you might want to see whats on there.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #26
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, here are the pics of the 4WD items I got this week along with the prices:

The NP 242 T-Case ($175):

The OD Unit for the 42RE Auto ($20.00):

Here are a gear and ring that were on the output shaft of the tranny, they just came right off.

Here is the vent line I got for the 242 (Free):

Here is the wiring for the 4WD light ($2.00):

And here is the shifter cable for the 242 ($1.00):

Like I said, all I need now are the two drive shafts and the front D30, Go figure, the tag says New Process, but, the labels on the top of the 242 say "NVG", for New Venture Gear, I would guess, LOL!

I wanted to ask you guys, am I missing something on the back of the 242? There looks to be way too much shaft sticking out the back for the slip yoke, is the slip yoke REALLY that long!? Thanks!

Jerry

Last edited by JeepsOLot; 01-02-2010 at 03:58 PM..
JeepsOLot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #27
tfgnt16

2009 WK 

Just a suggestion for the interior "limited' upgrade. You still need a leather steering wheel, an auto dimming rearview and some nice leather seats.

I've wanted to do what you've done for so long. Over the summer I started to custom install the '02 limited gauges into my '01. Takes some inner fab work and custom powering but overall it should work.. I just need to get a few clusters from '99-'01 models for the gauge motors.
Unread 01-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #28
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfgnt16 View Post
Just a suggestion for the interior "limited' upgrade. You still need a leather steering wheel, an auto dimming rearview and some nice leather seats.

I've wanted to do what you've done for so long. Over the summer I started to custom install the '02 limited gauges into my '01. Takes some inner fab work and custom powering but overall it should work.. I just need to get a few clusters from '99-'01 models for the gauge motors.
As for the Limited interior, I'm going to get the leather seats. I've got the passenger side front with motors and the whole back seat, I just can't seem to find a decent driver's side leather seat to match. I'm not going to sweat about the steering wheel, and the auto dimming mirror isn't going to be plug and play like I hoped, at least not in our vehicle.

As far as the gauge motors, i might be able to help you on that. On the '99 WJ that I got the OD unit from, the gauge cluster was taken apart, not exactly sure why, because everything was there, save the speedo needle. The motor for it and the other gauges (these were left intact) were in good shape. If these will work for ya, I can get them on Monday and send them to ya. Let me know!

Jerry
Unread 01-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #29
tfgnt16

2009 WK 

If you don't need the cluster than I'd be more than willing to take it off your hands. Send me a PM and we'll work something out!

As for the auto dimming mirror, I'm pretty sure the wiring is tucked up above the EVIC. I put one in my Laredo and though it took some searching, the wire was clamped right up there above the plastic bracket in the ceiling. Take a look for it, all WJ's came with the wiring, at least I've never seen one without.
Unread 01-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #30
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfgnt16 View Post
If you don't need the cluster than I'd be more than willing to take it off your hands. Send me a PM and we'll work something out!

As for the auto dimming mirror, I'm pretty sure the wiring is tucked up above the EVIC. I put one in my Laredo and though it took some searching, the wire was clamped right up there above the plastic bracket in the ceiling. Take a look for it, all WJ's came with the wiring, at least I've never seen one without.
Ok, tomorrow, I'll go and pick up the gauges from the jy. As for the plug for the auto dimming mirror, 1, I couldn't find the plug on mine, even when I pulled down the headliner, and 2, I couldn't find the break in the harness for the donor vehicle, it seemed to go all the way to the driver's side. It maybe one of those things that was changed in the '01 to '02 years. I found out that there was alot of electrical changes between those years. I'll let you know about the gauges as soon as I have them in my hands tomorrow.

Jerry

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.